Amount of stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amount of stock

I'm about to have my first go at selling my Christmas decorations. I'm selling at a school Christmas fair. I have a range of 6 different designs but am wondering how many of each design I should take along. As this is my first ever attempt at selling anything I have made I have no idea what to expect and would appreciate any suggestions anyone might have. Thank you 😊

Take everything you have made - cos what if everyone wants your stuff and you run out of stock
    Plus you can make a fab design - say put up a small tree and display your stuff
    You might dress up as Santa - will attract the kids and mums - make sure you have plenty of change for all those fivers that will come your way - get yourself a 'bum bag' too so you can move quickly giving change - bags to wrap and pack - I'm sure you've thought of all these
    Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Helen McD View Post
      Take everything you have made - cos what if everyone wants your stuff and you run out of stock
      Plus you can make a fab design - say put up a small tree and display your stuff
      You might dress up as Santa - will attract the kids and mums - make sure you have plenty of change for all those fivers that will come your way - get yourself a 'bum bag' too so you can move quickly giving change - bags to wrap and pack - I'm sure you've thought of all these
      Good luck
      Check with the venue before you turn up in your Santa outfit. Some fairs only like there to be one official Santa.
      Carol
      Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube
      Carol's Yummy Bakes - My new business Website, Facebook Page

Comment

Definitely take as much stock as you have, and if you think you can create to order take a little book down so you can record them. This is especially good if you sell lots of one particular design (personally I'd sell all but one of each design - then people can see what they order). Good luck and enjoy it - you will learn loads by being there, even if you don't sell much the experience is invaluable. Spend some time before the fair with a cuppa and Google/pinterest and look at how other people set up their stalls, it helped me loads when i was starting out.
        Lucy Blossom
        Shop and blog: http://www.lucyblossomcrafts.co.uk
        https://www.facebook.com/LucyBlossomCrafts

Comment

Take as much stock as you can - just remember you don't need to have it all out on display at once if it makes the table look too crowded or cluttered.

And just make it clear to people if you are happy to take orders too. That will give them even more options - although in my experience, people often find too much choice a bit overwhelming!
          Emma
          www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
          www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
          www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

Take as much stock as you can manage, if the car is nearby you can leave some in the car and pop in and out to top up if need be

Comment

Work out how much each item costs you to make and how much profit you make from each that you sell. Then calculate how many you need to sell to cover all your costs (table, food, petrol, etc). That is the bare minimum amount of stock you need. I would then triple the quantities and, if you have a 'best seller' via other sources, e.g. online sales, make sure you have extra of these!

Basically, you cannot have too much stock but you can have too little. As has already been mentioned, taking orders is perfect, especially if you can offer a personalised or bespoke design. Have plenty of business cards or receipts to give to customers ordering so they have your details after making their payment.

If you have made an item, take it with you, you can have boxes to replenish your table top when items sell but you can't sell something if its sitting at home!!

Good luck with your fair!
              Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
              Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
              Follow me on Twitter:
              @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

I would just like to add to all the good advice that has been given. I sometimes have 3 tables as I have over 100 different items I make. You said you have 5 designs. I would not put to many of the same design in the one place on the table, have 3 say, but then have another 3 of the same design at the other end of the table. I have found that very often customers miss the first one but then pick up on the second one. If you have the lot out on the display people will think you have boxes of them and they think to themselves they will buy the following week, if its a regular event. When you sell an item replace it as soon as you can. the more of a variety youhave on display the more you will sell. Never sit behind you table with your arms folded waiting for a customer to say something. If it looks like a customer is coming your way then stand up, look attentive and then break the ice by saying something like, good morning. It breaks the ice, it puts the customer at ease and they are more likely to buy. Hope this helps.

Comment

good luck with the fair- let us know how it goes! i agree with the others do as much stock as possible and take orders (thats what im gonna do)
                  My new blog - http://just-jennywren.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Thanks everyone x I'm nearly looking forward to going now. So much great advice. I'll let you know how I do x

Comment

I did it! I had my first stall! Recieved great feedback and positive comments and even sold stuff! Really enjoyed it. Excellent learning experience. Can't wait for the next one. Thank you to everyone for the advice and encouragement 😊

Comment

Congratulations, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
                        Lucy Blossom
                        Shop and blog: http://www.lucyblossomcrafts.co.uk
                        https://www.facebook.com/LucyBlossomCrafts

Comment

Working...
                        X