Christmas craft evening stall experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas craft evening stall experience

The local junior school PTA run a Christmas Crafts evening. They have space for stalls in the main hall and PTA members run mini crafting sessions in some of the classrooms. It's an adults event which is quite unusual I think as this type of thing is usually geared around children.

I tried my luck with a stall selling my cake decorations, hoping that if craft minded people turned up there might be some that like making cakes too.

Didn't do too bad. I took in £37 on the night, so that minus my £12 stall fee and a small raffle prize left me with around £20 profit. I make more money selling online but these events are not just about making money, of course.

I was left feeling quite overwhelmed by one visitor to my stall. She wasn't a customer, she too was a cake maker decorator and worked for one of the local cake and supplies shops. Initially she asked me if the shop owner had contacted me about selling some my cake decoration packs - I explained that I'm not allowed to sell my cake decorations third party in this way. She then asked me to consider working as a tutor in making royal icing decorations on their shop courses. Apparently, they have found it difficult to find anyone who works with royal icing to teach on their courses. I'm guessing that's because sugar paste and flower paste are more in vogue now than royal icing decorations? I will contact the shop owner next week and get a little bit more info about it.

I'm not 100% sure if I am up to the job though, I've never tried to teach adults anything before. It's a scary prospect! It's been a very long time since I was a student at sugar craft evening classes and I am largely self taught when it comes to my style of royal icing decorations. I may see how I get on with a couple of my friends who are complete beginners at cake decorating. They have offered to be my guinea pigs to see if I can teach them the basics!
    Carol
    Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube
    Carol's Yummy Bakes - My new business Website, Facebook Page

Originally posted by the card shark View Post
    I'm not 100% sure if I am up to the job though, I've never tried to teach adults anything before. It's a scary prospect!
    Scary prospect but honestly it's only the thought of it that's scary. I taught groups of teenagers career education in my old job and then when I had my shop I ran card making workshops for adults. I used the same lesson planning techniques for my workshops to make sure there were defined learning outcomes, timings to stick to and to made sure I had plans in place for those 'students' that finished early so they didn't sit bored. The benefit of teaching adults is that they have chosen to be there and want to learn and will respect the fact you are the teacher. As long as you plan your lessons you can then relax.

Seriously Carol you should do it as I bet you'd love it.
    Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Originally posted by nattynetty View Post
      Scary prospect but honestly it's only the thought of it that's scary. I taught groups of teenagers career education in my old job and then when I had my shop I ran card making workshops for adults. I used the same lesson planning techniques for my workshops to make sure there were defined learning outcomes, timings to stick to and to made sure I had plans in place for those 'students' that finished early so they didn't sit bored. The benefit of teaching adults is that they have chosen to be there and want to learn and will respect the fact you are the teacher. As long as you plan your lessons you can then relax.

Seriously Carol you should do it as I bet you'd love it.
      Thanks for the advice, especially the bit about making sure students that finished early had something to do! The shop have arranged an informal meeting on 3rd December with the owner of the cake shop so will be a chance for me to ask lots of questions and vice versa.
      Carol
      Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube
      Carol's Yummy Bakes - My new business Website, Facebook Page

Comment

Look at it this way - they want to be there and they want to learn so you are already on the upward slope! You are capable and personable and that is all it really needs to be able to teach people. Keep things jovial and even if you make a mistake, it's not the end of the world, just correct it and people will love you for your honesty. I go to show people how to make earrings sometimes and make a complete hash of it and I just say "there you go, that is how not to do it and now I will show you how to do it" with a bit of a rye smile. In the early days you can even say that you are new to teaching in this particular shop so if you make any mistakes can they please forgive you and I am sure everyone will go out of their way to make the lesson go well, because 99.99999999999% of craft people are LOVELY, as we see on this site.

Comment

Originally posted by the card shark View Post
          Thanks for the advice, especially the bit about making sure students that finished early had something to do! The shop have arranged an informal meeting on 3rd December with the owner of the cake shop so will be a chance for me to ask lots of questions and vice versa.
          Ooh exciting!!!

With my card making workshops I always made sure the 'add on' activity was something that didn't need any teaching so I could still focus my attention on the slower students that needed more help. It could also be taken away and finished at home if they ran out of time and as I would include materials and an instruction sheet the slower students could take it home too so didn't miss out. Not sure how easy it would be to provide a finish-at-home activity for your craft though.

Looking forward to hearing how the meeting goes.
          Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Working...
          X