Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printer - The best one to use?

Hello Everyone,

I have my own wedding stationery business and I have moved with the times if to say so and thought it would be a great idea to start printing designs/quotes on wedding invitations, but my printer is having none of it - firstly it don't take through card any thicker than 160gsm and secondly it is a laser jet printer that threads the paper through from the bottom to the top, therefore the paper don't feed through properly and either get's jammed or don't print the design on it well.

I am looking in investing in a new printer and looking for people's views on the best printers to go for that will print on card and also feeds from the top rather than the bottom as paper get's bent when it feeds from the bottom.

I am currently using a HP Laser Jet P1006

If anyone can let me know what they think that would be great.

Donna x
    My Blog - Please follow me: http://simplicitydesignsbydonna.blogspot.co.uk/

My Wedding Stationery Business:

Facebook Page (Stationery) - https://www.facebook.com/SimplicityWeddingDesigns

Hi Donna. Most people I think on here including myself use inkjets, am I right in assuming yours is a laser printer? Should you want to come over to the dark side and use an inkjet then you find Canon printers, pixma range will print very well and usually take quite thick card. Mine has taken heavier that 160gsm before with no problems.

Dave

Comment

Any inkjet with a rear paper feed will do the job. I have a HP Deskjet 1050 all in one, printer scanner copier that cost me £40, ink refills are a tenner each or if you look on e-bay you can get a colour and a black cartridge for about £15 as a package. Print quality is excellent and I have printed on 300 gsm card no problems.

Comment

I used to have an expensive laser printer that would take 260 gsm (or thereabouts). I rarely print from CDs but I do have the odd CD to print cards and inserts. The buffer on my printer couldn't cope with so much data so it never printed the inserts after it had printed the card. It wasn't operator as my husband is in IT as a profession and he couldn't get it to work. It did print on the ink jet I replaced it with though.

I got a Kodak that loaded from a flat tray in the bottom. I took some card to try the computer shop and asked them to demo. It was the large electrical chain with the purple logo, can't remember the name of the chain. Two of my relatives got the newer version of my Kodak printer as it was so good and quite cheap. It printed fine on vellum as well as thick card.

Sorry for the waffle. I suppose I should just have said to go round the shops and try them but that might have sounded 'wrong'.

Comment

I've used (and have) a wide range of printers including inkjet, laser, solvent and sublimation.

Of all the inkjet printers I've used in the past for printing onto card or non-inkjet paper stock I can't fault the Canon Pixma range. I know the cartridges are somewhere in the range of £8-12 each (depending on supplier) but I've bought compatible cartridges from ASDA and Sainsbury's that were a fraction of that cost and performed exactly the same in test.

Kodak comes a close second although I prefer Canon's separate ink cartridges to Kodak's all in one colour cartridge as I've had many occasion in the past where I've used more of one colour than another and had to throw practically full cartridges away because one of the colours had ran out. Canon's printers can create pin sharp fine detail as opposed to the likes of Epsom on plain paper/card stock which from past experience has bled quite a bit, plus because of the way Canon (and Kodak)'s cartridges work, they don't seem to clog up nearly as badly as Epsom printers. I've had many occasion where I've used practically half a cartridge in all the Epsom printers I've used, R200, R300, C42, 1500W and others just by swapping cartridges over and doing numerous head cleans to get all the ink flowing again.

In terms of Laser printers, I've never personally liked the HP range but that was in an office environment and mostly it was in upgrading drivers to suit the new computers so in terms of performance I'm not 100% sure how good or bad they are. I do seem to recall that the consumables were bloody expensive.

I've usually stuck with Konica Minolta, Oki, Xerox and Kyocera. I have a Konica Minolta BizHub which is an A3+ photocopier/scanner/printer, but that's more a digital production printer and although it claims to only handle 260gsm board I've ran 400gsm stiff card through it without a problem, although it did make a slight clunking sound as the card passed through the drum but that was more to do with the way the machine feeds the card, but they're REALLY expensive and not recommended as a replacement printer. (it's also BIG).

Out of all the laser printers I've used or have, My little Oki C5250 is a great little machine. Like all printers it claims to handle up to 260gsm but I've fed 300gsm through without a problem as it has a manual bypass tray at the front so the card feeds straight in and if you don't want the card curling it also has a straight through exit at the back. Depending on the coating on the card you sometimes have to hand feed the card through, which is simply a case of loading up the bypass tray up and giving the card a gentle push from the back when you hear it try to pull the card through. Compatible cartridges for that work out at under £100 for a full set of CMYK and are estimated to last for around 8,000 - 12,000 prints depending on capacity and I believe working on 25% coverage per colour.

So personal recommendations, Oki A4 colour laser or Canon Pixma inkjet.

Hope some of that helps.
          I craft, Marty prints....
          Excited to be starting a new craft venture and selling my work on Etsy along with my Facebook page.
          Martin's site can be found at http://www.imaginativeink.co.uk or on Facebook.

Comment

Imaginative - you have just reminded me the problems we have had with Epsom printers. If the colours aren't used frequently the ink dries and jams up. We had small cartridges for our Epsom but then went on to those large individual colour bottles if we intended to print photos or or the same colours rather than ots of individual random things. For general crafting or general printing I found the Kodak cartridges very cheap and they lasted ages.

A lot depends on exactly what you want your printer to do and how often you intend to use it.

With regard to the colour bleed on paper - I think this is more than likely to be the choice of paper at fault unless you have an ink flow problem. I use slightly different papers depending on what I'm doing. If the paper isn't good quality it can be more porous and hence the ink bleeds between the fibres. Good quality paper has mor efillers and a smooth, glossy surface that allows the ink to sit on the surface rather than get absorbed quickly into the paper.

Comment

If anyone can help me! I 'm looking for a new printer (cost low but not dirt cheap) that I can print my crafts on. I get everyone saying lnkjet is the way to go. But all the questions I found want to know if it can print on thick paper. I want it to print on lightweight and not get jammed. Mine sucks! I tried to print on "rub on" paper and it just ate three pieces up. And that stuff was not cheap for only five pieces of paper. So please any help you can give me before I go and spend more money on a machine that wont work either.

Thanks!

Comment

I think def a laser printer of some sort, just on the basis that if your going to be printing alot, its going to cost you a fortune in ink cartridges. Saying that i have a samsung laser and i can just about get 160 card through it, although it says it can handle up to 220 ? So all in all, ive probably not been that much help to you,,,just weigh up the costs of ongoing expenses-invaluable

Comment

Working...
                X