Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Papermaking studio or training

Hello Craftsters
    I am self-taught in hand-made paper making and I want to take this craft a bit further and get some training or visit someone who has a paper-making studio. I'm particularly interested in seeing a beater or hollander in action. So if someone out there knows of someone running courses or a studio in the Manchester area or beyond, I'd love to hear from you. I've spent so much time looking for this on the internet without luck!
    Oh yes, and I'm also going a bit doolally trying to buy couching felts so any hints on that would be good too. When I ask for the 'pelon' described in my handmade paper book in shops in the UK they don't seem to know what I'm talking about. I think it's a US term.
    Many many thanks.
    please read the rules about signatures

Googled couching cloth and came up with this http://www.homecrafts.co.uk/adstatsm...king_paper.pdf
    "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
    my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

hollander beater and couching felts

Hi, I've just joined this forum today and saw your post.
      I found the best couching cloths were J-cloths (I bought a big pack for £1 in Woolies last year). As they are thin, you can make a larger number of sheets of paper in one 'post'. Also, they dry out quickly which I think helps the paper to dry. I used blocks of wood with G-cramps/vices to squeeze out the water, so when I used thick couching felt, it made it more time consuming.
      As for the Hollander beater - if you are interested in buying one, I have an old cast iron Marshall-Ward Hollander Beater that I bought from Jim Patterson who works in the Paper Trail in Hemel Hempsted. I paid £500 for it. It is very heavy, but it works. I live in Thame, Oxfordshire.

Comment

Hi,
        I have just this minute been searching the web for a Hollander Beater to purchase so I am very interested in yours. The waste disposal system that we use at the Art college is on its last legs so I need something to replace it with. Please contact me if you are selling.

Comment

Hollander Beater

Hi Mike,
          Yes, I am selling the Hollander Beater.
          Please contact me.
          Thanks.

Comment

still there?

is the beater still available? if not, can you rediect me to another one? thanx

Comment

Originally posted by bookcraft View Post
              is the beater still available? if not, can you rediect me to another one? thanx
              As this thread is nearly 4 years ago I very much doubt it.
              Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Working...
              X