Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using gold leaf...help!

Hi Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help.

I paint using oils and i would like to add some gold leaf to my paintings. Is there a method to it? or do i just put it on (which seems rather a messy idea)? or do i need to wait until my painting is completely dry (or as near too!) then add it after? do i need special glue?

sorry for all the questions, but i got some gold leaf and really feel excited about using it!

thankyou peeps.x
    Sophie.x

Sometimes what we say is not what we mean & what we mean is not what we say - that's why I paint!

My bloggity blog

My Etsy shop

Yes, you do need to wait until your paint is dry and there is a glue that I used when I did it once ages and ages ago, but I'm sure something like spray-mount would do it. The adhesive needs to be tacky, not wet.

Just looked on google and what you need is called "size" - it's all coming flooding back to me now!
    Blog Website Flickr

Comment

the best way to ensure it only goes exactly where you want it is to wait until your painting is totally dry. You then coat the areas where you want the gold lef to stick to with gold leaf adhesive. when that becomes tacky, you apply the gold leaf. when it's all dry you brush the area with a blusher brush or similar, which will remove any leaf in the wrong place
      full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Wow! thankyou both for the quick reply!

looks like it'll be a while before i can use it then , oils take forever to dry ( i'm so excited too! looks like i'm off to hobby vraft (agian) then for some glue!

Thankyou for your advice. Very helpful.

x
        Sophie.x

Sometimes what we say is not what we mean & what we mean is not what we say - that's why I paint!

My bloggity blog

My Etsy shop

Comment

Working...
        X