British Place Names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Place Names

I wrote a recent blog post (http://www.coryographies.blogspot.co...ing-place.html) on favourite British Place names and it got me wondering - I bet you all have some too! Britain has some pretty hilarious and charming village names, especially in Dorset and Cornwall, and the Lake District on Google Earth was a minefield of ones that gave me a little chuckle.

I think my favourite has to be Appleby-in-Westmorland. It sounds delicious! Some are funny - Crapstone is a bit unfortunate - and Coldcomfort, what in the world...?
    Coryographies on Etsy (bookshelf, tea, and sushi jewellery)
    Coryographies' Blog (Join the free giveaway!)
    Coryographies on Facebook
    Twitter: @Coryographies
    If you'd like to swap shop banners to advertise on each others' sites please message me

There's a place near me called Willey, and Barton-in-the-Beans
    View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Puddletown, Piddletrenthide, Piddlehinton, Fontmell Magna, Cherry Orchard

Comment

The village of Dull in Scotland has officially been twinned with the town of Boring in Oregon.
        View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

I always smile when I drive past signs for Nempnett Thrubwell near Bath in Somerset, and I used to live at Whitney Bottom.
          I think one of the prettiest names nearby is Chilton Cantelo.

Melanie

Comment

One of our forum members lives in Christmas Pie x
            Sarah x

~ The Lilac Dragonfly- Handmade Jewellery ~

~ Facebook Page ~

Comment

and we have North Piddle and Wyre Piddle just down the road. Honestly they did bottle the water from a local spring for a time and obviously called it Piddle water.

David
              www.panachegifts.co.uk

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Panach...60271863992797

Twitter @PanacheGifts

Comment

I'm sure Piddle water would be very good for you.
                View my flickr

Comment

There's two villages in Norfolk called Great Snoring and Little Snoring.
                  "If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely." Roald Dahl

Comment

We have a place near us called Nitshill in Glasgow
                    http://www.effervescentlime.com
                    http://www.facebook.com/effervescentlime

Comment

We have Stow-cum-Quay near us in Cambridgeshire & I believe there's a Pratt's Bottom in London.

Comment

I always imagine get-togethers between the Idle Working Men's Club (Yorkshire) and the Loose (Kent) Women's Institute - oh, and many years ago, when I lived in East Anglia, there was a family by the surname of Gotobed who came from Great (or was it Little?) Snoring ...

As an old woman, I've allowed to be rude. I like Lord Hereford's Knob on the edge of the Black Mountains, just west of the English-Welsh border, and Sandy Balls in Hampshire.

However, for those of you who understand OS references, go to SD737585 and snigger at the farm name ; I am NOT going to write it!

I am pretty sure that those of you who find it will agree that it wins most contests ...

Comment

Theres 3 that come to mind in my area.

Theres "no place" another called "pity me" & a strange village with a sign post "once brewed" if you enter it from the east, & it has a sign post "twice brewed" if you enter from the west !

Comment

Originally posted by Wood Whistler View Post
                            a sign post "once brewed" if you enter it from the east, & it has a sign post "twice brewed" if you enter from the west !
                            Yes, and oddly it's at the other end of the country to Beer - which itself isn't anywhere near Sandwich!

Comment

Working...
                            X