Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry ink pad ?

What is a dry ink pad ?
    I use an ink stamper and the one i have is getting a bit dry. Yet i see dry ones for sale on websites. Does this mean i need to pit ink on it. If so where would i get this ink and how would i use it and how much would i need for a MaxStamp SI-5290 ?
    Habbyworld Sewing Supplies Website

Habbyworld Facebook

It depends on whether your ink pad still has ink but it has dried up, or whether you have used up all the ink on your ink pad.

There are also some types of ink pad that don't receive re-fills very well.
    My Pyrography https://www.facebook.com/ThomasBottsCustomPyrography
    Videos of my Pyro http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLearn...d?feature=mhee

Comment

I'm guessing the dry ones you see for sale are probably just the pad itself with no ink, so you can add your own ink, paints, glue or whatever to use your rubber stamps with.

With your own pre-inked pads, if they get dry you can usually re-ink them if its a well-known brand.
      Emma
      www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
      www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
      www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by Charlieson View Post
        What is a dry ink pad ?
        I use an ink stamper and the one i have is getting a bit dry. Yet i see dry ones for sale on websites. Does this mean i need to pit ink on it. If so where would i get this ink and how would i use it and how much would i need for a MaxStamp SI-5290 ?
        Your post isn't that clear so forgive me if I've got the wrong end of the stick. Isn't your stamp a self inking stamp? If it is, contact the supplier to get a replacement ink pad. They might do a re inker but I know you can get replacement ink pads for them.

Dry pads without inks on the are sold for various purposes. Most people I know use temporary 'ink pads' such as babywipes and re inkers for doing fancy mixed ink stamping techniques.

Comment

I was wondering if i could buy ink to put in it. It is a self inker. The pads are very dry and quite expensive to buy for such a small thing that dosen`t last very long. Does anyone know if it is possible to refill the pads with ink and if so what is the best one to buy for the job. Google "MaxStamp SI-5290" To see the one i mean.

Habbyworld Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Charlieson View Post
            I was wondering if i could buy ink to put in it. It is a self inker. The pads are very dry and quite expensive to buy for such a small thing that dosen`t last very long. Does anyone know if it is possible to refill the pads with ink and if so what is the best one to buy for the job. Google "MaxStamp SI-5290" To see the one i mean.
            Ask the supplier for a price for a re inker. I wouldn't put a different ink type in it. If you know they type ie pigment, water based, solvent based etc you could buy a re inker and give it a go. What do you call expensive?

Is it possible to stamp on an ink pad then on the item you want to stamp on? If so, just stamp first on an ordinary ink pad then use as normal. We don't use our self inking stamp much so its still okay after four years (famous last words)!

I've just looked at their website at the price of the replacement ink pads, the inked ones not the dry ones and they are cheap. They are cheaper than the standard craft ink pads I have ever purchased anyway. I usually pay approx £5-7 for large individual craft ink pads.

I pay £2.75 for small bottles of waterbased ink (less than 15ml) to re ink my standard craft ink pads.
            Last edited by Incognito 1; 26-02-2013, 07:38 PM.

Comment

I got a bottle of 15ml black perfect medium re-inker. It`s not brilliant but it does the job.

Habbyworld Facebook

Comment

Hi there,
                totally new to stamping although I have made some of my own cards in the past so am in need of some beginner's guidance - apologies for stupid questions!
                For Christmas I was given a lovely set of stamping blocks, two non-branded ink pads and two pots of metallic coloured powder, but as neither the pads nor the powder has any writing on them I'm not 100% sure how to use them.

The ink pads are metallic gold and metallic silver but I've just checked the gold one and it is kind of hard and dry and no ink comes off on my finger when I press although it smells a little of ink/paint, but the silver one is more spongy and a little silver ink comes off on my finger when I press it. Can I assume from this that the gold one has just dried out a little? I've heard that storing ink pads upside down will help keep the ink near the surface, but are there any other ways to 're-hydrate' a dry ink pad?

The second question is about the powders, again there is no text on the pots so I don't know what exactly they should be used for. One is gold and the other silver like the pads and they all came together in a little white cardboard box so they are obviously meant to be a set. The box had no writing on it either unfortunately so no clues there! The powders are granular, pretty fine but not superfine like flour for example, though the gold looks finer and verges more towards the 'dust' side of the spectrum i.e. it leaves a dusty gold residue on the inside of the pot when I rotate it to get a closer look. I don't know if they are inks in powder form and you are supposed to mix the powder with water to add to the existing ink pads - as the colours seem to match - or if these are just glitter powders or if they are embossing powders. I've heard of embossing powders but have never used them so again feeling pretty ignorant about what to do with them!

I've attached some pictures of the ink pads and the powders below so hopefully someone cleverer than me can advise me on what I've been given and what to do with them! I know it's probably impossible to tell with the minimal information I've given but I'm at a bit of a loss and I want to make the most of this gift and also not offend the person who gave it to me!

Thanks in advance!

Lydia

Comment

Originally posted by LydiaBardsley View Post
                  Hi there,
                  totally new to stamping although I have made some of my own cards in the past so am in need of some beginner's guidance - apologies for stupid questions!
                  For Christmas I was given a lovely set of stamping blocks, two non-branded ink pads and two pots of metallic coloured powder, but as neither the pads nor the powder has any writing on them I'm not 100% sure how to use them.

The ink pads are metallic gold and metallic silver but I've just checked the gold one and it is kind of hard and dry and no ink comes off on my finger when I press although it smells a little of ink/paint, but the silver one is more spongy and a little silver ink comes off on my finger when I press it. Can I assume from this that the gold one has just dried out a little? I've heard that storing ink pads upside down will help keep the ink near the surface, but are there any other ways to 're-hydrate' a dry ink pad?

The second question is about the powders, again there is no text on the pots so I don't know what exactly they should be used for. One is gold and the other silver like the pads and they all came together in a little white cardboard box so they are obviously meant to be a set. The box had no writing on it either unfortunately so no clues there! The powders are granular, pretty fine but not superfine like flour for example, though the gold looks finer and verges more towards the 'dust' side of the spectrum i.e. it leaves a dusty gold residue on the inside of the pot when I rotate it to get a closer look. I don't know if they are inks in powder form and you are supposed to mix the powder with water to add to the existing ink pads - as the colours seem to match - or if these are just glitter powders or if they are embossing powders. I've heard of embossing powders but have never used them so again feeling pretty ignorant about what to do with them!

I've attached some pictures of the ink pads and the powders below so hopefully someone cleverer than me can advise me on what I've been given and what to do with them! I know it's probably impossible to tell with the minimal information I've given but I'm at a bit of a loss and I want to make the most of this gift and also not offend the person who gave it to me!

Thanks in advance!

Lydia
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]42617[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42618[/ATTACH]
                  Hi Lydia... there is no such thing as a silly question if you need to know the answer...

I can't see the pictures but it sounds most likely that you have embossing powders... Gold and silver metallic inks are notoriously slow drying (I almost always heat set them to avoid smudges) and they can benefit from embossing so it could be what the person who gifted them had in mind. Silver and gold embossing powders are really useful generally too.

So IF they are embossing powders you would need to use a slow drying ink to stamp your image and then pour the embossing powder all over the image, once you have it all covered you tip back the excess powder and close the container. Then using a heat gun you heat the embossing powder until it melts giving you a raised shiny effect for your stamped image.

If you pop onto you tube and search for heat embossing you will find lots of links showing you basic and more advanced techniques

As for the dry ink pad... if it has dried out (and there are lots of reasons why this might have happened) you can buy refills for ink pads including metallic inks but if the pad is unbranded and has dried out you may be as well off buying a new pad and getting refills for it at the same time. Mixing an unbranded pad with a branded refill may not work so well and using the best (the right card, the best ink and stamps ) you can afford will give better results.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
                  X