A little irritation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little irritation

Thought I'd just put a quick post on here to all craft fair organisers. I know 99% of you aren't guilty of this, but if any of you are, could I PLEASE ask that after a craft fair has taken place, you remove advertising from the side of the road?! I've been driving to work for the past few months trying to read a couple of signs advertising a craft and vintage fair at a local garden centre as I whizz past in the car. I finally managed to read it the other day only to find the fair was at Christmas time. Grrrrr!
    Wid

Oh yes that is so annoying Not as annoying though as when it just says 'this Saturday' and you know it can't be (or at least assume it can't be) as you've driven past the sign for the last few weeks.
    Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Originally posted by nattynetty View Post
      Oh yes that is so annoying Not as annoying though as when it just says 'this Saturday' and you know it can't be (or at least assume it can't be) as you've driven past the sign for the last few weeks.
      Yes! I suppose that cuts down on printing and advertising costs.
      Wid

Comment

Well at least there is some roadside advertising which is more than some do!
        Pat Murphy

http://www.gladturnings.co.uk
        https://www.facebook.com/GladTurnings.Woodturning

Comment

It's not just craft fairs that do that. I've seen all sorts of interesting events being advertised only to think "is it really this saturday?" or "that sounded good, shame it's been and gone". Usually I only know of things going on locally after the event when the local paper writes "today there will be blah blah blah going on" and I never read the local paper until the evening when I have time to sit and read it, or "yesterday there were huge crowds flocking to x, y or z" and I also wonder how anyone knew about the event!
          View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

I'm surprised the local Council haven't jumped on the advertisers leaving signs out long past the date of the event. They are rather hot on stuff like that round here, and that's after you've got through all the bureaucracy of being allowed to put out the signs in the first place. The length of time such signs are allowed to be on public show are limited by our local Council.

I hasten to add that any signs with which I have a connection are removed at the end of the event - they are counted out and counted back in.

Linda

Comment

Originally posted by craftdancer View Post
              I'm surprised the local Council haven't jumped on the advertisers leaving signs out long past the date of the event.

Linda
              The trouble is, they jump on ALL organisers and ban them all from putting signs up. It's a classic case of the few spoiling things for everyone.

In our first year at Market Harborough we were banned from putting any road signs up at all, because of exactly this problem. Since then, we've negotiated a deal with the enforcement officer that we can put up signs the night before and we will remove them no later than the day after the fair - which we've always done anyway. Also part of the negotiation was good quality signs not felt pen on a bit of card (which is another of my niggles).

At Oakham we're allowed to put signs up on all approach roads two weeks in advance, and lamp-post signs all round the town on the day of the fair. This again on condition they're removed immediately the fair is over.

Another (maybe nitpicking) niggle of mine - when people do take their signs down, why don't they take a pair of cutters and remove the cable ties as well?
              Kate
              www.cuckoos-nest-fairs.co.uk

Comment

Out of date signs (especially ones in felt tip pen) are a bugbear of mine too!!

I put road signs out for my fairs approx 10 days before (need to put some out this week for 10th March - must get myself in gear!) and then smaller arrow signs saying 'craft fair today etc etc' go out early on the morning of the fair. Both sets are then collected up that evening as soon as I've finished packing up at the venue. I take my cable ties with me too

Luckily a lot of people in my village where the event is know who I am, I must look fairly suspicious sneaking around late at night & early in the morning with a hammer, pliers & cable ties

Our council don't currently have any restrictions on putting up signs, although the local parish council have been known to 'have a word' with people who leave their signs up for too long after an event.
                Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
                Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
                www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Comment

All this is easier if you have AA sign posting which is actually not as expensive as would seem and they do all the donkey work and liase with the councils.
                  Like Kate and Clare we also remove our own professionally printed signs that night or over the next few days, as some of the shows have over 25 boards to collect.
                  Near to me a sign, on a roundabout on a major road, has been there since last September!!! grrrrrr
                  The Anns (www.penninefairs.co.uk)

Comment

Originally posted by Cuckoos Nest View Post
                    The trouble is, they jump on ALL organisers and ban them all from putting signs up. It's a classic case of the few spoiling things for everyone.
                    It's always the way.........

Linda

Comment

The ones I've noticed are actually posts hammered into the ground - maybe they're deemed too hard to pull up! And I noticed today that the fair was actually for the beginning of December.

trouble is, I will ignore them in future....
                      Wid

Comment

Working...
                      X