Small parcels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small parcels

I am really fed up with what the post office charge for small parcels I send off to customers each week. I have heard that couriers are a lot cheaper so could anyone recommend one. I send single items that go in a medium sized jiffy bag to small parcels weighing up to 3 kilos. Many thanks in advance.

Take your pick from this website. It depends if you prefer to get them collected from your house or drop them off at a local shop that participates in some of the schemes. I think it My Hermes that use local shops as pick up ad drop off points. They make people sign for parcels so you know they ahve got there. Mine are business to business so I pay extra and use UPS express but when I'm sending domestic packages I use the cheapest.

http://www.parcel2go.com/

Comment

I concur, been OK when I used them. Although that may be tempting fate now.
      regards

Tam "now a hobby woodturner"

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. (John Ruskin 1819-1900)

Comment

We have a franking machine which does save money if you are sending many small packages via RM - I use Parcel Pete http://www.ipostparcels.com/ for larger items.

As we are not too far away from one of their depots if I have a number of parcels to send I can drop them off there and save £1 per parcel.

Jane
        www.just-soaps.com
        Twitter JUSTSOAPS
        FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
        Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

I've used My Hermes for larger parcels and they've always been fine, although they do take a bit longer than Royal Mail and I believe the service is very dependent on the individual couriers.

For smaller packages, I think it will be very difficult to compete with Royal Mail prices. If you send a lot of packages, it might be worth applying for an account, or considering a franking machine - either of these gives a small discount compared to over the counter prices. There are more changes to Royal Mail prices on the way in April, but the details haven't been announced yet.
          Website
          Facebook
          Blog

Comment

My Hermes isn't the only courier on the link, I believe most major companies are listed on the site. There are quite a few couriers I won't use due to poor service. UPS collect from me the same day if I book before about 11am and deliver the next day. It costs me about £10 whereas the others charge about £8 for a slower service for the same size and weight item. It depends if you want speed, reliability or a cheap price.

Comment

Originally posted by Craftychez View Post
              My Hermes isn't the only courier on the link, I believe most major companies are listed on the site. There are quite a few couriers I won't use due to poor service. UPS collect from me the same day if I book before about 11am and deliver the next day. It costs me about £10 whereas the others charge about £8 for a slower service for the same size and weight item. It depends if you want speed, reliability or a cheap price.
              Parcel Pete is much less expensive for next day delivery than UPS

As soon as RM announce their price increase, the couriers will put their prices up - they do most years.
              www.just-soaps.com
              Twitter JUSTSOAPS
              Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Originally posted by greannancrafts View Post
                Parcel Pete is much less expensive for next day delivery than UPS

As soon as RM announce their price increase, the couriers will put their prices up - they do most years.
                I've never heard of Parcel Pete, what areas do they cover? I presume they collect do they? Is it same day collection, next day delivery? Its usually that service I need for business parcels. Next day collection is usually at least £2 cheaper with UPS that the same day service I use, £2 is fine to save me 24 hours. I go more on price (as long as it gets there) for domestic parcels.

Have you had any problems with reliability with Parcel Pete? TNT sometimes take several day to collect and have frequently taken a week to deliver something. More than one courier has left something wedged in our gate which is along side the pavement in quite a busy village. Another courier didn't understand what an annexe was so carded our outbuilding which doesn't have a letter box or anything and is clearley marked as the annexe! Thats why I'm scared of changing couriers.

Couriers aren't so bad if sending to and from an ordinary domestic address but our village makes them think and a lot don't seem able to do that. Some bright spark gave the whole road, half the village the same postcode. To add to the confusion a lot of the houses are named not numbered as they are renovated farm buildings.

How much would Parcel Pete charge for a same day collection, next day delivery of a 3kg parcel measuring 21x17x27cm, value of contents £20?
                Last edited by Incognito 1; 23-02-2013, 07:01 PM.

Comment

The prices on Parcel Pete look good (craftchez, if you visit the site, there is a price checker so you can fill it out and see the prices there)

What I cannot see is - do they actually deliver the parcel to the recipients door, or is it dropped to their local pick-up point?
                  Emma
                  www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
                  www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
                  www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by ejralph View Post
                    The prices on Parcel Pete look good (craftchez, if you visit the site, there is a price checker so you can fill it out and see the prices there)

What I cannot see is - do they actually deliver the parcel to the recipients door, or is it dropped to their local pick-up point?

Here is Parcel Pete's web http://www.ipostparcels.com it is door to door - if you send more than 1 parcel you get the subsequent ones less £1 - you can opt for signed for, basice ins is £25 but you can increase
                    Jane
                    www.just-soaps.com
                    Twitter JUSTSOAPS

Comment

Originally posted by ejralph View Post

I've had a look and in the FAQs it does say door to door. It looks to me as though its next day collection not same day but I could be wrong. The price I quoted for UPS is same day collection which I usually need for business purposes, I'm not in a rush when sending domestic parcels. The next day collection looks as though its approx £1.40 cheaper than UPS once you have added the VAT on. I'm not sure if that varies depending on the postcode (for mainland postcodes).

Comment

Are you sending UK to UK, or UK to Europe/worldwide? If you're sending to customers abroad at all then it might be worth looking at worldwide-parcelservices.co.uk - they have always been typically cheaper for me with overseas prices than others - not so great for UK pricing though.

Comment

I use collect plus £3.99 to post up to 2kg, £4.99 to post up to 4kg. This includes insurance for up to £50. Then only restriction is the parcel has to be within certain dimensions - it's on their website.
                          Personalised gifts
                          http://www.rubytuesdaygifts.co.uk
                          http://www.facebook.com/RubyTuesdayGifts

Comment

Why not register for an Online Business Account with Royal Mail, in some cases a third of the cost what you pay over the counter. We have used them for about 8 months and no complaints here! You do have to hit certain volume amounts though...I think it is £5,000.

Thanks
                            For all your Oilcloth and PVC Tablecloth visit our website here:http://www.joleetablecloths.co.uk we also have a blog on the site for hints and tips for working with Oilcloth or like our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/JoleeTablecloths

Comment

Jane I'm going to give ParcelPete a go with a 2.5kg parcel I need to send, do you know what cut-off time they have for booking a Monday collection? I want to leave it as late as possible just in case I get another heavy order over the weekend and can save money by booking both together but can't find the info on their website.
                              Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Working...
                              X