Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knitting

Evening everyone.

well I've been knitting a bit recently, nothing elaborate or too taxing - a baby cardigan, cushion cover and I'm just looking at doing a soft toy. Whilst my knitting skills aren't too bad, I'm absolutely appalling at sewing things together. I've ruined I don't know how many things in the past with my dreadful sewing up.

Has anyone got any hints or tips which might give me better results? Whenever I join seems, the just look wrong!

Thank you!
    Wid

One person I work with uses mini bulldog clips to hold seams together while sewing up, I guess like a knitters way of pinning the knitted fabric together to stop it slipping.

I sometimes use mattress stitch to stich seams, especially when turning things inside out would be more difficult though I find this works better with stocking stitched designs rather than anything lacy.
    View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Hi Wid
      What a good question. I too have trouble sewing up and will be very interested to hear any tips people have, it's a shame when you have worked hard knitting something and fall at the last hurdle, has happened to me and I end up abandoning the project.
      Science has it's place but nothing is quite like letting your imagination fly

Comment

Def. do pin (or what passes for pin) it first, if possible matching stitch for stitch on either side. When you sew only pick up one stitch at a time or it becomes too bulky. I oversew and don't pull it too tight either. Remember you need give in the seams the same stretch as is in the body
        Last edited by Critchley; 22-02-2013, 03:04 PM.
        Carol
        God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

I mattress stitch my toys together. I find this the best way as it's done from viewing the right side of your work and so you can be sure of keeping it neat.
          ~ Rachael
          My etsy Shop Blog

Comment

Originally posted by BlueShedCrafts View Post
            I mattress stitch my toys together. I find this the best way as it's done from viewing the right side of your work and so you can be sure of keeping it neat.
            I'd not heard of mattress stitch. Just looked at a YouTube demo and think I will give it a go next time.

thanks everyone!
            Wid

Comment

Best advice is to block everything before you even think about sewing up.

If you really dislike sewing up then adapt your patterns to knit in the round and get to grips with kitchener stitch which will give you a seamless finish.
              Blog: http://rosmademe.blogspot.com

Comment

I was going to suggest youtube - there are some great knitting tips there! I've just started knitting log cabin-type squares I found on verypink.com

Comment

Working...
                X