Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jewellery Box Project

Hello all,
    As a part of my Technology GCSE I am making a jewellery box. However as a 16 year old I am not too knowledgable of what a customer would want, so I have come here to ask some questions.

1. How many pieces of jewellery do you own (roughly)?

2. Do you consider the practicality or aestetics of a jewellery box to be of more importance?

3. How much did you spend on each piece of your jewellery?

4. Do you see the meaning behind jewellery as more important than the material it's made of?

5. How much would you be willing to spend on a jewellery box?

6. How long would you expect a jewellery box to last?

7. What different kinds of pieces of jewellery do you own?

8. How old are you, and what is your gender?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated too. Thanks a lot for your time.

Originally posted by lad View Post
    Hello all,
    As a part of my Technology GCSE I am making a jewellery box. However as a 16 year old I am not too knowledgable of what a customer would want, so I have come here to ask some questions.

1. How many pieces of jewellery do you own (roughly)? Far too many to count. Good pieces that I would want a Jewellery box for, about 40.

2. Do you consider the practicality or aestetics of a jewellery box to be of more importance? Both. If it's not practical it rather defeats the object of the item and if it is on show then it has to look good.

3. How much did you spend on each piece of your jewellery? Don't think that's relevant as the value to most people is personal. Very expensive jewellery would be kept in a safe.

4. Do you see the meaning behind jewellery as more important than the material it's made of? If you were buying or making for yourself then you are probably doing so for a purpose and the item essentially has no 'meaning' it's serving a purpose. Some people may have a prefered material, gold say rather then silver or a specific stone.

5. How much would you be willing to spend on a jewellery box? Depends what it is made out of. Whether it is purely functional or a piece to be shown and kept. I have a couple of craftsman made inlaid wood boxes that are modern heirlooms with a value to match. Also a couple of bog standard leather covered imported tosh for £30.

6. How long would you expect a jewellery box to last? Generally the more expensive the longer it should last. On saying that one of my cheap boxes is 20 years old and perfectly ok.

7. What different kinds of pieces of jewellery do you own? Most, Necklaces, Earrings, Bracelets, Brooches, Rings and watches in all kinds of stones, pearls and metals.

8. How old are you, and what is your gender? Older than you and younger than 100. Female.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated too. Thanks a lot for your time.
    You need to consider the market and pricepoint you are aiming for. Putting 80 hours work into handcrafting a beautiful wood inlaid leather lined box and then expecting to sell it for £50 is unrealistic it would need to be in three or four figures to make a profit. ou haven't said what material, style or finish you are hopeing to make so it's difficult to offer suggestions. Research. as you are doing now obviously, but you will need to measure a selection of pieces, find out how particular items are usually housed, whether you are anticipating multi sectioned trays with one section per piece as you would have for quality jewellery pieces etc etc etc.

Good luck with the project and do show us progess pictures and the finished item.

Mo.XX
    Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
    Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
    www.bodrighy.co.uk
    https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

You have a smart way of doing things! But you came to a crafts forum and the population here is not representative of a general population, Keep up the good work!
      Check out my page on various paracord projects you can make!

Comment

Originally posted by Markwell View Post
        You have a smart way of doing things! But you came to a crafts forum and the population here is not representative of a general population, Keep up the good work!
        Are you suggesting I'm not normal Markwell LOL you're probably right hee hee.

Mo.XX
        Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
        Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
        www.bodrighy.co.uk
        https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Working...
        X