Missing Delivery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Delivery

Hi... I've got a bit of a problem and would appreciate some advice please.

We posted an order to the correct address as recorded delivery and I supplied the customer with the tracking order. Now Royal Mail are stating that the item has been delivered and we can view a 'signature', but the customer is saying she hasn't received it. She has checked the 'signature' (which isn't a signature as such, just a name in weird writing) and says she doesn't recognise it. Says she was in when the postman came round but he definitely didn't knock. (the address is a block of flats which I think complicates it)

So, the question is.... Who's responsibility is it to follow this up and sort out compensation should there be a claim?
    Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Julie and Beverley - JuBerry Fabrics & Designs
    JuBerry Website
    Facebook Page
    Etsy Shop
    Blog

Sorry to hear about your dilemma, but I believe it is your responsibility as the retailer. You should have all the receipts, and you should get onto the post office.

If the item has been signed for, and not by your customer. Then the post office needs to know about it, and should sort it for you. Although it does take time.

Although your responsibility, I wouldn't compensate the customer until you have some more idea of what has happened. They could be trying to s c a m you, if genuine you reimburse the customer, and claim from the post office.

It has been known for the postman to sign for things themselves, so it needs checking out.
    Last edited by TePe; 10-02-2013, 12:42 PM.
    regards

Tam "now a hobby woodturner"

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. (John Ruskin 1819-1900)

Comment

Thanks for that TePe.... I have already submitted a query to the Post Office. I wouldn't mind, but the customer is being a bit persistent, as if it were my fault - which I could accept if I hadn't sent it recorded. Oh well... Thank goodness I did.
      JuBerry Website
      Facebook Page
      Etsy Shop
      Blog

Comment

Something similar happened to me about 2 years ago. I sent a mobile phone I no longer used to a family member the other end of the country. It was well wrapped in bubble wrap and then put in a jiffy type bag. I sent it recorded delivery but it never arrived. The post office said something like it takes 15 days before it can be considered not delivered. Waited 15 days. Then they wanted a photo of the phone, as it happened I had one so e-mailed it off. then they sent me a letter wanting me to confirm the colour and the value. To cut a long story short this went on for about 3 months and in the end I just gave up with their stalling tactics.

I used to send a lot of stuff by royal mail but now it is cheaper to send by courier, a lot cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Fretnot View Post
          Something similar happened to me about 2 years ago. I sent a mobile phone I no longer used to a family member the other end of the country. It was well wrapped in bubble wrap and then put in a jiffy type bag. I sent it recorded delivery but it never arrived. The post office said something like it takes 15 days before it can be considered not delivered. Waited 15 days. Then they wanted a photo of the phone, as it happened I had one so e-mailed it off. then they sent me a letter wanting me to confirm the colour and the value. To cut a long story short this went on for about 3 months and in the end I just gave up with their stalling tactics.

I used to send a lot of stuff by royal mail but now it is cheaper to send by courier, a lot cheaper.
          You should have used next day special for something like a phone. Each member of staff has to sign for the parcel and its not left unattended during transit.

Comment

bdc - if you create a fuss and become a nag I've found Royal Mail gives in but the hassle can not be worth it. They are the uber meisters in grinding you down.

The next thing to balance up is how much you want to keep this customer. I operate on a keep them sweet at any cost policy. I win some, I lose some....but I have a little fan club and a lot of my business comes through word of mouth.

Recorded Signed for Delivery has given us grief. Special Delivery has been miles more reliable.

Comment

Deliveries are terrible sometimes. I had a delivery from Citylink once and they swore blind that they had delivered a specific day and time, but i was in and they certainly didn't knock. They wrote on the form "customer not in". Had I not chased i wouldn't have known. When they redelivered they delivery man admitted he "was lazy"!!

Also, sometimes the customers are less than honest... I have had this a couple of times on Ebay - trying to keep the goods and get a refund.

It's difficult when you want to project a good image to your customers but its sounds suspicious that Royal Mail did indeed get a signature. Might be worth having a chat with Royal Mail about your situation (make sure you speak to a manager - don't get palmed off), and check to see how much you are insured for loss. It may be up to the customer to chase their delivery as Royal Mail may claim it's not 'lost'!

Let us know how you got on - this is good info for anyone who sells online! Good luck.
              Shelley x
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              My Blog - www.reviverevampremake.blogspot.co.uk
              My Facebook Page - www.facebook.com/ReviveRevampRemake
              My Etsy shop - www.etsy.com/shop/ReviveRevampRemake

Comment

Thanks for your comments. To be honest this customer has been rather challenging and demanding from the start. It's all very odd as she said on Sunday that she had spoken to the Postman, yet that could only have been on Saturday, the day it was delivered. When I questioned this she said there must have been 2 of them !

My partner is convinced it's a **** (I think word is starred out - a dishonest ploy to cheat us!). I have told her that I accept it's my responsibility to deal with the Post Office and will follow their process to get compensation, i.e. I'm not refunding it directly. Interestingly she has said she would like us to make more kindle covers for her (she supplies the fabric), but we have put this off as it really has been very trying and why would she want several covers?

I will let you know how I get on, hopefully I'll get a response from my query to the PO today.
                BDC
                JuBerry Website
                Facebook Page
                Etsy Shop
                Blog

Comment

If the item wasn't hugely expensive it might be worth paying the customer (who may well be "at it") then taking note not to deal with them again. (I wouldn't replace the item - just repay their money)

If the post office eventually pay up you'll get the money back but in the meantime you have this challenging customer off your back.

I bought recently from an ebay seller I use occasionally. the item didn't arrive (I have no idea where it went because our posties are all very reliable and I haven't missed a delivery from this company before). They replaced it without hesitation and I will definitely use them again because of their reaction. They may have thought I was lying but didn't question it.

It's a horrible thing to deal with but I suspect most of us will have this problem at some point in our lives as traders. I'm also not sure if using a courier would avoid this kind of problem - it depends how strict they are. Best of luck resolving it.

Marion

Comment

Originally posted by bdcbdc View Post
                    Interestingly she has said she would like us to make more kindle covers for her (she supplies the fabric), but we have put this off as it really has been very trying and why would she want several covers?

I will let you know how I get on, hopefully I'll get a response from my query to the PO today.
                    BDC
                    I agree. One would think she must have inspected the one she never received to have enough confidence to order more especially with the risk that they won't arrive. You are right, it is a s c a m
                    Carol
                    God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

If it happened to me. I wouldn`t be sending more stuff out if they didn`t receive it. If someone dosen't get their order. The best i will do is refund that order. Also if i send something recorded and it gets signed for. That is good enough for me. I dont care who signs for it. That is what Recorded delivery is for. Like some people have said on here. It could also be a ****. I have been ****med for £150 and it`s not nice. If it wasn`t signed for, they it`s the sellers problem. As far as i`m concerned. If it`s been signed for. Then it`s not the sellers problem.
                      Habbyworld Sewing Supplies Website

Habbyworld Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Critchley View Post
                        I agree. One would think she must have inspected the one she never received to have enough confidence to order more especially with the risk that they won't arrive. You are right, it is a s c a m
                        Good point Inspector Critchley! The 'dubious' story about 2 postman would've got me wondering but Carol's right why on earth would you want to order more if you hadn't inspected it?

I'm with Annieanna about keeping customers sweet but if alarm bells are ringing and they're not necessarily to type of customer you want to deal with on a regular basis then I'd find out where you stand legally about refunding/not refunding and just do the bare minimum necessary.
                        Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

I am happy to report that the Kindle cover has turned up! It appears an attempt was made to deliver it to another address and a card left. So the postman must have signed for it himself which makes a mockery of the system! I think I will check out special delivery prices next time. Thanks for all your support.
                          bdc
                          ps - she was delighted with it and wants us to make some more still.....
                          JuBerry Website
                          Facebook Page
                          Etsy Shop
                          Blog

Comment

I'm so pleased for you and also that the customer wasn't at fault!
                            Shelley x
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            My Blog - www.reviverevampremake.blogspot.co.uk
                            My Facebook Page - www.facebook.com/ReviveRevampRemake
                            My Etsy shop - www.etsy.com/shop/ReviveRevampRemake

Comment

Why would he sign for it if it had been carded not delivered?

Comment

Working...
                              X