Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best technique/stain remover to remove glue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best technique/stain remover to remove glue?

I have lots of baseball caps which have glue on them.

Have tried a couple of commercial stain removers to no avail.

Are there any stain removers specially made for this kind of thing?

Thanks

IMG_1337.JPGIMG_1338.JPG

I don't think it would come off. I'd be tempted to cover the edges up with glue and dip in glitter!
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Agree not sure will come off but you could try brown paper and an iron. Works for grease and I have got glue off this way before but test on a small area because it all depends what type the glue is.

The other thing is 'Sticky Stuff Remover' Lakeland sell, brilliant for removing the gunk left by price labels but again you would have to check.

Comment

From the first photo it looks like it's soaked into the material so might be difficult to remove. I agree with everyone else, it depends on what type of glue it is. and I'm sorry if i'm being nosey, but curiosity has got the better of me - why have you got lots of these and how did you get glue on them? Must have been a very strange game of baseball!
        paul

Comment

What type of glue is it? you can only use sticky stuff remover for solvent based material and the peak may have something in that will 'melt' if you use solvents. It looks like the glue is soaked into the fabric not just on the surface. If its just on the surface you could try using an adhesive eraser.

Comment

Originally posted by Craftychez View Post
            What type of glue is it? you can only use sticky stuff remover for solvent based material and the peak may have something in that will 'melt' if you use solvents. It looks like the glue is soaked into the fabric not just on the surface. If its just on the surface you could try using an adhesive eraser.
            Its hi-tack fabric glue. How good is sticky stuff remover?

Comment

Sticky stuff remover is oil based so will seep into the fabric and unless you then wash it, it will leave oil stains.
              It's a great product though it's basically WD40 which can also be used, but again it leaves oil stains.
              full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Stick stuff remover and WD40 are different, as can be seen from the safety data sheets. They both contain organic solvents but this doesn't mean they will remove cured solvent based glue. Try some glue on a scrap rag and try to get it off with any organic solvent. I'm not saying it will work. As someone mentioned, you make be left with another stain if you do get the glue off. You can't sell the hats with residues of cleaner on anyway. If it were me I would return them to the manufacturer or supplier.

Comment

I don't know if this will help at all but..

when I have to remove the build up of double sided sticky tape on my scissors, I use nail varnish remover. That might work for you, but it could also leave a mark of the cap fabric too.
                  Carol
                  Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube
                  Carol's Yummy Bakes - My new business Website, Facebook Page

Comment

Working...
                  X