New Chip and PIN machine for craft fairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Chip and PIN machine for craft fairs

Just thought I’d let people know about a new chip and pin machine from WorldPay. I’ve got nothing to do with the company, and have only just set up my machine, but it doesn’t seem to have been very well publicised – would be ideal for those doing craft fairs and wanting to take card payments with no contract. Might be another option to mPowa and iZettle, and takes both Visa and MC.

Had trouble posting a link but search for 'mobile worldpay'.

Hope this is useful.

Neil.
    Last edited by SciArtImages; 31-01-2013, 07:45 PM.
    Science meets Art!

Microscope photograph gifts revealing the hidden beauty of the world around us.

http://www.sciartimages.co.uk
    http://www.facebook.com/SciArtImages

Hi Neil, thats interesting. We have been using izettle with my iphone quite successfully but this certainly seems easier to accept Visa payments, presumably as its chip and pin. Funds from izettle can be paid into any nominated account without having to open a merchant account. Can worldplay do the same?

David
    www.panachegifts.co.uk

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Panach...60271863992797

Twitter @PanacheGifts

Comment

I've got mine set up to go into a business account (not a merchant account) and someone else I know has been accepted for payments into their personal account. So much like iZettle it seems. All cards are chip and pin as well, not just MC. Plus it works on a Blackberry which is a bonus (for me).

Neil.
      Science meets Art!

Comment

That's interesting. I've been with Adelante for years and have no issues other than that it's costing me £30 a month. As I've cut down on craft fairs and am only doing 3 up until Christmas, I think I really need to think about this. I notice the Payment Sense people (who have a banner on this site) charge £10 a month with no extras. Does anyone use them?
        Carole x
        www.caroleallenjewellery.co.uk

Comment

I've just spotted something that might tip the balance. Worldpay is charging you 65p a transaction on debit cards and 3% on credit cards.
          My chip and pin deal is a monthly charge with 25p on dcs and 1% on ccs.

But several reports are saying the mobile phone app type card readers are giving you a better deal than the chunky machines except the latter give you more things you can do with it and more protection if things go wrong.

Comment

I would be more then happy to talk regarding accepting card payments to any forum members to give some advice what is out there and what to watch out there as it is a mine field and show a competitive way of accepting card payments.

Cardsave are part of the Worldpay Streamline Group and work with small businesses every day.

Please contact me anytime

Kind Regards
            Darren
            01472 263 586
            [email protected]ave.net

Comment

AnnieAnna, I thought the charges were on the high side when I first looked, but worked out that if a normal chip and pin machine costs you £30 a month then you would have to do over 75 debit card transactions or £1500 on ccs (or a combination) a month to make it worth having a 'proper' machine. For an occasional user like myself that's unlikely to happen in the near future!

Neil.
              Science meets Art!

Comment

Certainly looks interesting,now that I have just got a smart phone ! so no doubt will be asking you all for advice later on in the year when you have had a chance to try all these wonderful gadgets out a bit !
                If you dont have a go ................... you will never know

https://www.facebook.com/HatPiece

www.HatPiece.co.uk

Comment

Once upon a time I factored in all the charges related to my chip and pin machine (my rental is less than £30 a month) and it came to around £400 a year (more than your £30 a month).
                  The only trouble is my customers love it and I make sales where they would have walked away if I'd only taken cash or cheques. T
                  he other thing is my chip and pin connection has been really reliable especially in places where my phone connection has been rubbish.
                  I would be in a quandry, because I am very tempted to try Izettle, if I wasn't tied in to a 3 year contract .

Comment

Hi I've signed up to Sumup and not paid a thing. I will only have to pay per transaction. It looks just like Izettle but no payment upfront. I am now just waiting for the card reader thing to arrive and I'm all set.

Comment

Report back to us, won't you Ann? Tell us about any catches (I spotted they're a bit slow putting your money in your bank .)

So I'm sitting on the fence watching Izettle and Sum Up and apparently Square is about to be launched. And there's PayPal bump and a couple of others whose names I have forgotten. (That's bad news for them!)
                      We need a chart comparing all the charges, don't we?

Comment

Just reading the FAQ's payment will go in to your account daily if total is over £40, otherwise will deposit within 14days. The transaction fee is 2.75% but no monthly fee.
                        I will defiantly keep you updated as I have a big event in March so I need to take card payments.

Comment

Hi. We're new to this and have our first craft fair at the end of the month. How have people found using these devices that require signature? I'm a bit nervous about that now that Chip and Pin is so well used. Are customers happy to sign? I know I would be.....
                          Julie and Beverley - JuBerry Fabrics & Designs
                          JuBerry Website
                          Facebook Page
                          Etsy Shop
                          Blog

Comment

Hi bdc, it's all a bit new so any answers will be anecdotal until more of us have a go. The phone plug in started in America where they didn't have chip and pin hence the signature thing. And izettle was delveloped somewhere in the Netherlands - was it Sweden - and there were issues that it wasn't as secure as the UK chip and pin system. But I do have to laugh here after hearing how the banks are hushing up how insecure chip and pin has turned out to be.

I've been comparing systems and it goes
                            Izettle's plugin was free but now costs £20 but you get that taken off your fees if you use it. Fees are 2.75% a transaction. (There were reports about it not being too good with Visa cards but they may have fixed that.)
                            Sumup's plug in is free at the moment, and fees are 2.75% a transaction. (I think waiting 2 weeks to move your money into your bank is a bit cheeky.)
                            Square isn't here yet (it's coming) but at the moment, in America, the plugin is free, fees 2.75% a transaction or you can choose to pay $2.75% a month.
                            PayPal costs me 3.4% plus 20p a transaction. You can only use bump if the customer's phone has the app or you could do it through connecting to the web and emailing eachother (a bit cumbersome).
                            Last edited by AnnieAnna; 07-02-2013, 05:55 PM.

Comment

And Mpowa - very cagey about what it costs. The plug in seems to be free and transactions 2.95%. You need a merchant account (beware that can have hidden costs.) It's got an awful lot of bad reviews and I don't know who their webmaster is but all the bad ones show up before any good ones! That's no way to run your website .

Comment

Working...
                              X