Double sided tape advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double sided tape advice

Hi all, I'm a newbie crafter! I need to know where I can get super super strong 9mm double sided tape please? Lots on ebay etc but not sure what's good and what's not.

need it really strong and child proof. Thanks all!

I think the red one is the strongest, try Joanna Sheen

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Yes, I agree, the red one is the strongest I've ever come across.
        Carol
        Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube
        Carol's Yummy Bakes - My new business Website, Facebook Page

Comment

Do you know if any high street stores sell this or would it need to be online? Not sure where to look? Thanks

Comment

The Range sell it in three widths. I haven't been to many other shops looking for it. I onkly use it when you need something really strong. I prefer the 'normal' double sides tape or glue.

What do you mean by childproof? If I need something really strong I use glue and I use lots of different glues, water based, solvet, glue gun or silicone etc. I don't always need it to be acid free.
            Last edited by Incognito 1; 30-01-2013, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Someone put me onto these people a while back and the service has been great. They do some great offers too and the bumper packs and start packs are good. Might be worth trying them...I have yet to find cheaper.

Comment

High tack double sided tape is red, all the craft shops sell it, I use loads, bought some today, couple of quid a roll but beware......when its on its on! Paper to paper or paper to card, White is ok but card to card, lace to card etc use red because white will come adrift eventually.

Dave
                Last edited by 3dDave; 30-01-2013, 10:31 PM.

Comment

i get the stuff from Poundland. Never had a problem with it.
                  www.dementiaactivitysupplies.weebly.com

https://www.facebook.com/Dementia-Activity-Supplies

Comment

Brown owl, if you tell us what you need it for specifically we can maybe help a little more?

Dave

Comment

Thanks Twinsgran, I'll have a look in poundland.

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by 3dDave View Post
                        High tack double sided tape is red, all the craft shops sell it, I use loads, bought some today, couple of quid a roll but beware......when its on its on! Paper to paper or paper to card, White is ok but card to card, lace to card etc use red because white will come adrift eventually.

Dave
                        I've been making cards for almost thirteen years and I've never had anything come off when Ive used 'ordinary' tape. I only discovered red tape last year. I have still got some items that I made a few years ago too.

BrownOwl - if you are thinking of using it for kids to crft it might not be a good idea. Once the two items are stuck they can't be moved if the position isn't quite right. It might be easier to use PVA glue in bottles with nozzles on the top.

Comment

With all due respect chez I have also made cards, specifically 3d cards for over 10 years. What I failed to clarify was that my cards have up to 10 image layers, all varnished with acetate windows and sometimes double colour card layers to frame the image, sometimes with lace & ribbon so no, white will definitely not hold all that together due to the weight of the layers.
                          I did actually ask what was being made to possibly advise accordingly. Apolgies for not being clear.

Dave.

Comment

I use red back sticky strip tape for 3D projects with moving parts, boxes etc that need to withstand heavy use but other than that I agree normal adhesives work well on ordinary cards. I am a huge fan of tombow liquid glues or Alene's but for kids normal PVA is the best and safest option and as long as they allow time for things to dry that should be just fine.

Most double sided tapes stick firm on contact (except repositional /low tack varieties) but a quick swipe over the tape with a cheap glue stick will provide those few vital seconds of wriggle room...and that works on red backed tape too. That was the BEST ever tip anyone ever gave me and has saved me so much agony

Comment

Dave, I would use glue not tape if sticking so many layers, especially if you are varnishing over the top of them. Water based or solvent based varnish affects the adhesive quality. I'm not trying to argue, just letting you know. (I have worked as a scientist testing durability and solubility of water based and solvent based paints, varnishes, wood preservers, flammable and non flam organics etc).

Comment

Working...
                              X