Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any ideas.........

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Any ideas.........

    I am looking for a new craft to start anything except knitting/crotching please

    Anybody have any ideas for a beginner ???

  • #2
    Originally posted by bugsdonkey View Post
    I am looking for a new craft to start anything except knitting/crotching please

    Anybody have any ideas for a beginner ???
    Pyrography is good there's a few members on here that do it and pleanty of vids on youtube

    Quilling is fun and a personal favourite

    Again pics on here and loads of tutorials on youtube
    CraftyBird3000 / Peacock Blue
    my blog - http://craftybird3000.blogspot.co.uk/
    my twitter page https://twitter.com/CraftyBird3000
    my facebook page for my new business
    https://www.facebook.com/Peacockbluehandmade

    Comment


    • #3
      metal embossing, soap making, jewelry making, felting. It also depends on your budget. I do some metal forging but some of my stakes and hammers are very expensive.

      Comment


      • #4
        Its hard to recommend something for someone else...except perhaps for the crafts we each do and love.

        What kind of things do you like? What interests you? What would you like to make? On a practical level you should probably consider things like How much time do you have to devote to learning and to crafting generally? Does your craft need to be portable? How much space - both to work in and to store any materials etc do you have? Is cost a factor...some crafts require tools which can be expensive and many materials are not cheap... Do you like to get messy or do you need a neat craft? The answers to those questions might help you to decide on/eliminate some crafts form the many out there.

        I am a primarily a paper crafter and it is great for beginners. It produces an end product fairly quickly and there are so many different techniques to be learned and used. Its not just about card making either...the possibilities are endless. It also quite naturally progresses to include other aspects of crafting too...

        Mixed media crafts and altered art are big right now too...maybe check some of these out on you tube to see if they appeal.

        Not sure where in the world you are, but it may be possible to find taster classes locally so you can try (see if it suits you) before you buy (tools or materials) ...You would have to pay for these and prices vary but it could save you loads of money in the long run.

        I am sure you will have fun whatever you choose to try.

        Comment


        • #5
          LadyLizard - Thanks for your ideas i will search videos of them on youtube.
          Billieanne - Felting sounds fun i miay look into that to see if i like it
          Christa - I like drawing but i would like to try something new and i also look cooking/baking. I'm not bothered if my craft is portable or not as i mainly think i will be doing it in the house and time isn't a problem as i have alot of free time to spare so want to do something creative with it.
          I have a average amount of space to store the stuff but i'm not sure what i want to create.
          I was thinking about glass painting but have no idea where i would buy the stuff for that.
          You mentioned your a paper crafter what is that please??

          Thank you all three of you for your help

          Comment


          • #6
            If you're artistic and can draw then maybe using different media, as you suggest, glass, would be a great option. Painting onto glass panels could give a nice alternative to paintings/prints on canvas. Or of course you can decorate and personalise glassware. Not sure where you live, but maybe ring round artshops local to you to see if they have paint suitable for glass? Or research techniques online and find stockists online too?
            Liz aka bigbirdlittlebird

            http://www.facebook.com/BigLittleBird
            https://twitter.com/little_bigbird
            http://www.bigbirdlittlebird.co.uk

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks BigLittleBird i think glass painting will be a fun experience i'm from Scotland so i will research where i can buy the things.

              Comment


              • #8
                I've bought lots of material with the intention of making rag wreaths (when I have time!). There are videos on youtube showing you how to do it. I think the most important thing is to have an eye for the colours/patterns you will use. The knotting of fabrics onto the wreath ring is pretty straightforward. But maybe someone more skilled in this could give better advice.

                Marion

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by MarionT View Post
                  I've bought lots of material with the intention of making rag wreaths (when I have time!). There are videos on youtube showing you how to do it. I think the most important thing is to have an eye for the colours/patterns you will use. The knotting of fabrics onto the wreath ring is pretty straightforward. But maybe someone more skilled in this could give better advice.

                  Marion
                  Oh yes that sounds fun i might think about that to be honest i like to try anything once

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    How about making things in wood using a scroll saw. Its very addictive and a fascinating hobby and you can sell what you make at craft fairs

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      oooo that sounds good fun but i'm not good using saws ect

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Never heard about rag wreaths, I'll have to chack out YouTube.
                        I do enameling and sometimes use china paints. I use this company in the US, Rynne China Co. I'm not old enough yet to post links so you'll have to google. Maybe there's a supplier of porcelain plates, tea cups, etc in your area. Since you can draw maybe china painting is an option.
                        I make some of my own cards (birthday, christmas) not like the multilayer cards on this site. My stuff is simple; I love easy.
                        Hypertufa is fun too but you need warm weather or a heated work area.

                        Didn't mean not old enough, meant I haven't been on the forum long enough. Think you have to have 25 posts. Will have to go back and look.
                        Last edited by Billieanne; 29-01-2013, 07:08 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Billieanne View Post
                          Never heard about rag wreaths, I'll have to chack out YouTube.
                          I do enameling and sometimes use china paints. I use this company in the US, Rynne China Co. I'm not old enough yet to post links so you'll have to google. Maybe there's a supplier of porcelain plates, tea cups, etc in your area. Since you can draw maybe china painting is an option.
                          I make some of my own cards (birthday, christmas) not like the multilayer cards on this site. My stuff is simple; I love easy.
                          Hypertufa is fun too but you need warm weather or a heated work area.


                          Ah right thanks

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            What about silk painting? It's artistic and a little bit different, and you get a lovely finished product.
                            Heather
                            Pretty Things Handmade Jewellery

                            Website - www.prettythingsjewellery.co.uk


                            Destash bead and papercrafting shop - http://www.misi.co.uk/handmade/BlackCatBeads.html

                            New blog - www.prettythingsandwitterings.blogspot.com

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X