Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Etsy? Is it worth it?

Hello there!

I was just wondering whether to set myself up with an Etsy shop? I have an ebay store and im finding it slow but steady this month, would i sell more on Etsy? I have viewed other peoples and the ones that i have seen have only sold one or two items?
    I was just wondering if anyone else had anymore information or any other sites i could use to sell my products
    Thank you!!!!

Hello!

To Etsy or not to Etsy? I am on Etsy. I don't sell huge amounts at all- in fact only tiny amounts, but I am pretty happy with my experience all the same. How involved you are definitely makes a difference- the past couple of months I haven't had much chance to spend time on my shop and it's definitely had an effect- views and favourites are right down, and I haven't made a sale in ages- I think January is also a pretty slow time on there anyway.
    If you have time to list regularly, to promote your listings on social networking sites, to join in with the teams, to make treasuries then I would say- yes- Etsy could be for you. If you don't have the time to spare to promote and get involved, then it's highly unlikely to work for you.
    Good luck whatever you choose to do!
    Mythillogical- Myths & Fabrications: Creating all manner of three-dimensional mixed media oddities
    etsy facebook blog tumblr

Comment

Mythillogical is right - in fact, most places you can sell online will be the same. A lot depends how much time you can put into promotion.

The big thing when you are starting out is getting noticed. You might want to think about how you'd use Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and blogging to help get your name known. You don't have to do them all - pick what you think might work for you. For me, the best thing has been blogging as it meant I could use keywords to get picked up in Google searches. It's also very easy to get involved in the craft community with other craft bloggers.

If you don't want to spend time on promoting, it might be worth signing up with a site like http://swankymaison.com or Not on the High Street - it costs more but they do most of the promoting for you.

Etsy is a good place to sell though, and you can score well in Google searches if you use the right keywords.
      digital stamps for cardmakers: http://www.handmadeharbour.co.uk
      blog: http://handmadeharbour.blogspot.com
      hand painted personalised plaques, clocks, canvases, etc: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk
      blog: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk/blog

Comment

I agree with the above posts. Etsy won't sell for you on it's own. I also have used the 'feature' advert where it places you on top of the page and this does not seem to bring in a great deal of traffic.

I think if you have a spec ialised item, then it would be great. I work with crochet and if you search 'crochet' there are 671,000 approx item. Knit has half this. etc.etc. So competition in certain areas is high.

It is a great place to make transactions. Feedback is recorded and this can be important.
        Over time, if not selling anything, the fees can add though.

In the UK I also use The Travelling Souk. They are great as they also hold craft fairs that you can take part in.
        I have heard people doing quite well on amazon as well.
        Last edited by Andrea Lee Collections; 19-01-2013, 10:23 PM. Reason: there are stars instead of the word 'spe******ed'

Comment

I think the biggest thing to bear in mind is the massive recession we are in at the moment. I know it seems common sense to say it but it would appear, from posts here and on other forums, that some people are doing really well still and others are struggling.

I think Etsy is a good place to sell, but no better or worse than anything else you have to put work into. I have noticed no noticable benefit from spending time in the forums there, making Treasuries etc. In fact I get sales when I least expect it. I think it does help to spend time finding other sellers who make things similar to what you make and looking at who follows them and then "following" people who follow items/shops that are similar to yours.

Plus you need to make something that people want to buy, and that's the hard bit.
          Custom tribal belly dance costumes & accessories

Unique jewellery for those who love to turn heads

Comment

Wow thank you so much for the great advice! I'm definitely going to look into all the above sites, going to take two days out together this coming week hopefully just to sit and go through different sites and the ones that I join im going to work hard to promote in them! I also read in Craftseller this month to believe in what you sell, and that's the bit I seem to be struggling with at the minute, believing people out there will like what I do, I am getting there slowly though, I have a lot more confidence than when I first started! But thank you for all the amazing advice you've given me, I really appreciate it! Heather xx

Comment

Yes Etsy can work

Originally posted by CottageGarden View Post
              Wow thank you so much for the great advice! I'm definitely going to look into all the above sites, going to take two days out together this coming week hopefully just to sit and go through different sites and the ones that I join im going to work hard to promote in them! I also read in Craftseller this month to believe in what you sell, and that's the bit I seem to be struggling with at the minute, believing people out there will like what I do, I am getting there slowly though, I have a lot more confidence than when I first started! But thank you for all the amazing advice you've given me, I really appreciate it! Heather xx
              Yes it can work BUT.......

Firstly if I was selling jewellery I wouldnt bother. Etsy is flooded with jewellery.

Making Etsy work for you is all about understanding its internal SEO first and foremost. That means ; relevancy, titles, tags, how to get found in browse etc, and if this stuff is new to you which it was for me, then it is a steep learning curve. There is also lots of wrong advice given out by well meaning members who think that they know it all when they get one sale a week, and who are very free with their advice.

I listed on there for the first time on 6th December, and I didnt do much after that until 26th December. Then from 26th December to 15th January I would estimate that I spent 300 hours tweaking, changing, reading, changing again, changing AGAIN, changing AGAIN, and fiddling around with 250+ listings. Yes that really does work out at nearly 14 hours a day every day. But I finally started to get it right and since 15th January I have done over 100 sales.

So yes Etsy can work, and work well. But you really need to get your head around the SEO stuff which is slightly different for everyone.
              www.etsy.com/shop/FabFunky
              Making the world a little more fabulous, one picture at a time

Follow us on Twitter

Comment

Working...
              X