Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to felt craft....actually new to crafting! Can anyone help?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to felt craft....actually new to crafting! Can anyone help?!

Hi everyone,

As the title suggests I am totally new to sewing/crafting/felty type things. I have just started to do some sewing and have mainly been using felt as I find it a little bit easier to work with than fabric. I have made some felt flower brooches for myself and have given some to friends as pressies as well.

I have been on the internet looking for some ideas of what I could do....felt brooches etc and I have found an umbrella one that I really really like and would love to have a go at making it....but I just don't have a clue where to start. Can anyone help me? Is this shape cut out by a die? or by hand..? If anyone can help at all then I would really really appreciate it as I am totally new to all of this. I would love to try to make it if i could...but might be too hard for me!!

287034176220180012_M2IXqdlO_c.jpg

Thank you. xx

Hi and welcome. Sure you'll get help with this item.
    James
    www.facebook.com/CraftyCath

Comment

welcome to the crafts forum.
      There are no rules when it comes to making things like this other than "Inspiration not copying!"
      I'd approach it by cutting one piece of background felt and then stitching each colour on to the background individually and stuffing with a little piece of stuffing.
      full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Hi beadsbydesign and crafty Cath,

Thank you both for your reply.
        No I definitely won't be copying this idea exactly as it would probably be too difficult for me in the first instance anyway! Lol! I literally just learned how to even sew a few months back so I am trying to keep things simple. The umbrella just happened to catch my eye as it was nice.

beadsbydesign...do you think i would need double felt as the background felt and also double for the umbrella handle and then sew the handle in between the two background shapes....if you can understand what I mean!! I am not very technical....sorry.

Thanks again. xx

Comment

You could try that as it would give it more rigidity, but if it's a brooch, it's going to be fairly small, so two layers may be too think. really depends on the quality of the felt you use.
          full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Thank you beadsbydesign,

I really appreciate any advice you can give me. this is all new to me so I am just learning as I go along....so it is great to pick up any tips I can! I have made a few flower brooches and this were made from 100% thick wool felt but as I dont have any die cutting machines or anything like that, I bought them pre-cut. But now I would like to experiment with different shapes of brooches so I think it will have to be a thinner wool felt mix that I use so that I can cut it by hand.

Comment

Working...
            X