What did you learn in 2012?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did you learn in 2012?

I'd love to hear what you thought you have learned about the world of handmade last year that you taking into 2013?

I'll put them on the http://blog.craftsforum.co.uk

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
    (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

I learnt that all things are possible. You just have to jump through countelss silly hoops.

I also learnt that if you purchase a child's sock for a child to wear that's fine, but if you want to make the same sock into a child's toy, there are pages and pages of red tape to go through.

I have also learnt that if lots of people are jumping through the hoops together it's a lot easier and makes a lot more sense.
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

As profesional organisers we found that handmade is still being sort out and bought by discerning visitors (every year we have more visitors to our shows) and that there are a great deal of VERY talented crafts men and women who turn the ordinary into extraordinary!
      We must continue to pull together to support handmade in Britain and not to dilute 'craft fairs' with agency, franchises or retailed food products
      The Anns
      www.penninefairs.co.uk

Comment

I learned that as a wannabe crafter, interested in absolutely every craft, button, bead, scrap of fabric and any shiny thing, it is extremely easy to lose a year surfing the net and asking questions here.

I have learned that my stash can probably make everything I can think of and a lot I haven't even considered yet. I just need to make a list, get things sorted and get started.

I have learned that everyone here is so very supportive, they find my procrastinations amusing or even normal!

Thank you for being here
        Do not watch this space

Comment

iv learnt that I have an obsession with anything handmade,handcrafted,upcyled,painted,buttons,ribbo n,paper,fabric, I could go on and on...I have also learnt that my hubby is very patient and doesn't mind mess (good job) and that crafting can be healing both in body and mind...also I have learnt that I have spent a fortune and not made much back!!! so this year for me is managing money and getting more organised with everything,i have also learnt that I can talk myself into anything I want but just dont really need

Comment

I have learned that craft fairs aren't what I thought they were. I only had to do a couple to find that out. Next year I will be much more discerning about the craft fairs I attend and steer clear of the 'Christmas Bazaar' type.
            Cathy
            I sew, therefore I am.
            I apologise in advance for any spelling or grramatical errors, I'm on tablets - no, no - I'm on a tablet.

Comment

I can only echo what 'The Anns' from Pennine Fairs have said - in addition to the large craft fair I organise, I have started a smaller village 'Craft Market' and was overjoyed at the support for the first one in November, not only by local makers, but by visitors too, many of whom commented that it was lovely to see such a range of good quality handmade products, and how they enjoyed buying directly from the makers.

I've learnt that there are far more crafters out there than I ever thought possible, I've added 4 more dates to the calendar for this year's fairs, and already the first 3 are looking quite full, despite only sending out the booking forms in the last few days!!
              Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
              Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
              www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Comment

I learnt to knit socks and knit in cables. Problem is I don't like cable needles, they are too slippery and fiddley, there must be a way to not feel like you are about to lose all your stitches. I even have one of those needles with the kink in that is supposed to help, but it doesn't. Perhaps I just need to practice more. Otherwise I do like the effect cabling gives.
                View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Some really great points... I leave the thread going and collate some on Monday on the blog

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
                  (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

I think I have learnt that I can sell at Fairs if it is the right fair with the right people. Also that I need to be in the studio more and on the internet less !
                    www.beadtopia.co.uk
                    http://www.etsy.com/shop/BeadtopiaStudio

Comment

I have learned that outside of events (where I may or may not sell a lot of items) I need to spend more time on marketing and making and less time thinking and dreaming......
                      Custom tribal belly dance costumes & accessories

Unique jewellery for those who love to turn heads

Comment

Originally posted by Beadtopia View Post
                        I think I have learnt that I can sell at Fairs if it is the right fair with the right people. Also that I need to be in the studio more and on the internet less !
                        I totally agree...

I have also learned that
                        • I need to look at the balance of time spent on various aspects of my business - designing/making, marketing, classes etc
                        • I need to better organise/keep track of materials - a decent inventory system is essential and stocktaking is a necessary evil
                        • That even if people are nasty or lie cheat and steal (particularly when it comes to product designs/ranges and customers)... it does not help or make me feel any better to stoop anywhere near their lower than a snakes belly level

Comment

Credit crunches take a couple of years to work through to my customers.
                          In a recession people buy things they need and not things they don't.
                          Things that get used up or easily lost keep being needed.
                          If you haven't done a craft for 40 years maybe you are not going to do it and maybe you should pass the materials and tools onto a new enthusiastic crafter.
                          Don't buy storage boxes bigger than you can lift.
                          I love my van Work van, caravan, dumpster truck, removal van and an extra room - sometimes all at once!

Comment

I learnt that I can run my own business and enjoy my work doing something I truely love. I also learnt that all craft fairs are not equal and a good events organiser makes a huge difference to my profits!
                            http://debbieclairegems.webplus.net
                            http://www.facebook.com/DebbieClaireGems

Comment

I've learnt that there are a lot of very helpful people willing to give advice. I've also learnt that it's never too late to learn something new, learning keeps the spirit alive and there are not enough hours in the day to make everything I would llike.
                              Ivy

Comment

Working...
                              X