Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help! How much should I charge for this jewellery making?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help! How much should I charge for this jewellery making?

A family friend has asked me to take a pearl necklace she had and make it into a three strand necklace. There are about 150 pearls. Obviously I'm charging for the materials, new thread, clasps etc; but how much should I charge for actually doing it? Should it be an hourly rate, and if so how much an hour, or does anyone have any clue how much a shop might charge for this?

Thanks!

I don't have a clue regarding jewellery but personally I'd fix yourself an hourly rate and work on that charging for your time. Whatever you charge I doubt it would come to what a shop would charge LOL

Pete
    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
    Facebook

Website

Comment

Originally posted by flb89 View Post
      A family friend has asked me to take a pearl necklace she had and make it into a three strand necklace. There are about 150 pearls. Obviously I'm charging for the materials, new thread, clasps etc; but how much should I charge for actually doing it? Should it be an hourly rate, and if so how much an hour, or does anyone have any clue how much a shop might charge for this?

Thanks!
      When figuring out your hourly rate you need to consider whether you'd like to be paid at less then/equivalent to/more than minimum wage for your skills.
      Custom tribal belly dance costumes & accessories

Unique jewellery for those who love to turn heads

Comment

I carnt help, I get all tongue tied when it comes to money, and what I think im worth, theres nothing worse than giving someone a price and they say ..is that all,!!! but then never give you any extra,

Comment

Perhaps you should discuss price with the family friend before you start the job - you don't know if the friend is expecting 'mates rates' or worse still, a favour!

I found this on http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/2117469
          The cost of restringing pearls varies on the type of pearls, the type of silk used in the stringing process and the length of the necklace or bracelet. On average, you should be able to find a jeweler who will restring your pearls for around ($1.50 per inch) plus the cost of the knot (30 cents each) and the cost of material (varies).

$1.50 is about 95p

However, if a jeweller can do the job cheaper than you can, then don't lower your price - suggest the jeweller does it!

Annie and Lyn
          www.rosiepink.typepad.co.uk

Comment

A lady came into my shop with a (single) string of pearls and said that the jewellers had come back with a quote of £85.00 to re-string them. I note you are doing three so that price tripled would be the likely charge, however, at that price she would be unlikely to have them done since she could buy some at that price.

I don't do pearls in the shop because they are so time consuming and there are very few people who will be willing to pay the price. Pearls were a jewellers bread and butter they went in most years at the beginning of the season and were charged on time spent basis, but times change and most of these things are now stranded overseas where there are cheap hourly rates for the workforce. Hence if you were going to charge her the true rate she would most likely find it cheaper the buy a new set - unless they have sentimental value.

The info. above is the best advice I think, I would check with them first if they are expecting mates rates. This is likely to be a very time consuming thing for you and the question is whether you wish to invest the time for what might be a very minimal return or whether you would like the experience and thus take on the work in any event.

If you want my opinion on a ball-park figure - I think they might be expecting about £60.00.

Comment

Have you got some beads? Can you do a quick try out? Time yourself threading and knotting them. You know the trick of putting a needle in the knot so you can slide in into place, don't you? You don't have to do much, just an inch or two. You do get quicker as you go on....... until you get tired and tip all the beads on the floor
              Of course the size of the pearls will make a difference. Bigger ones quicker than small ones, all the same size quicker than graduated sizes.
              I'm tempted to add - whatever number you come up with, double it........

Comment

£85.!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????? We charge a standard rate of £30 per strand, incuding secure return shipping. More for very small pearls or longer. A triple strand is very fiddly, because getting all three to sit properly is tricky - even HM The Queen has a triple strand where one strand is a smidge too long and sits wrong. For that reason we shy away from thriples wherever possible (you have to be a very regular customer for us to make from new)

Comment

Working...
                X