What's Hot in 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Hot in 2013

Hi I know it has been a very long time since I last visited ... boy have I been extremely busy in the last 12 months with crafting, events, working and family life... but 2013 is closing in upon us ..and I am sitting here taking a reflective moment on what will be hot trends and what will be cold for the New Year ahead.

I am a avid knitter of vintage traditional designs and a few quirky retakes too...also make rag rugs and wreaths, felted shapes for room scenters and other things and am introducing barge or canal art painting with enamels this next year.

I love the vintage retro and traditional aspects of the crafts and materials I work with ... 2012 being lots of owls, gingerbread men, vintage tea cosies to name a few.....

I have heard on the grapevine that foxes, dogs, cats and horses are going to be popular in 2013 ...any other ideas??

Do not want to pinch ideas just wanting to brainstorm so we can all take advantage xx
    "Mother Nature is a crafter, a therapist, and a small business on a large scale.. she presents us with an abundance of opportunities and it's up to us how we use them in our lives "

https://www.facebook.com/JetsunnDesigns

i think vintage notions will continue. Boats and ponies; fishing and cats. Also outdoor adventure.
    ~~The old ways are the future~~

Comment

Hi Lenny do you think it still ties in with British stereotypes ... apparently some crafty types seem to think that we want to get to basics and English countryside again .x
      "Mother Nature is a crafter, a therapist, and a small business on a large scale.. she presents us with an abundance of opportunities and it's up to us how we use them in our lives "

Comment

The English countryside doesn't really exist anymore, does it. Maybe it never really existed. Or maybe it only exists in the minds of townsfolk.

I think there will be a lot of reminiscing about 'when I was a lad/lass'. So we're still staying in the past, but rather than the 40s/50s/60s, we'll move into the 60s/70s.

Think space hoppers, platform shoes, and Choppers. Camping (in tents as opposed to caravans) and kite flying also spring to mind. I can see myself making plenty of wares depicting these.

In these frugal times, I think people will once again start harking back to the good old days.

I remember paraffin heaters, power cuts, and the test card. Ah yes, those were the day...
        ~~The old ways are the future~~

Comment

Oh I don't know Lenny.

I live in it, no, really! The village I live in is owned by one family, related to HRH, it is very rural, sweeping hills, sheep, cows, pheasants and all that stuff.

But I do agree, 50s - 70s is probably more exciting!
          Do not watch this space

Comment

Originally posted by Lenny View Post
            The English countryside doesn't really exist anymore, does it. Maybe it never really existed. Or maybe it only exists in the minds of townsfolk.

Oh no, it exists. I too live in it. The moment I leave my village I'm either climbing the rolling hills, seeing deer, and red kites or travelling through farmland and tree plantations etc. It's beautiful and I love it. It provides much of the inspiration in my work.
            full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

The English countryside doesn't really exist anymore, does it.
              All I can say if you believe that is that you clearly don't live in it, as I do.

The only traffic jam I ever see for miles and miles is when two tractors meet on a bend in a narrow lane. The buses on the service which runs through the village five times a day carries 15 people and is rarely full, even on the two services which are timed to take people to and from work.

Where I live is laced with lanes which are narrow, mossy and untrafficed, cobwebbed with hedgerows which are draped in honeysuckle and wild clematis, and fringed by dense forest and wild open moorland.

Lenny, you need to leave the cramped confines of the south east of England behind you and get into the real England, which still exists off the speeding motorways, stressed commuters and tourists rushing to the next overpriced and crowded 'attraction'.

Comment

Another countryside dweller here.

I am so far behind the times in all respects that I have no idea what will be the "in" designs next year, but much as I love owls I hope it is something different as I am fed up of seeing them in every form under the sun.

Linda

Comment

Oh yes, owls! Forgot about them! I loved them for a while, then got a little bit drowned.

Sounds a little bit like a Gormanghast plot, drowned in owls! Terrifying!
                  Do not watch this space

Comment

The English countryside exists for me, too - I go there all the time in my imagination, in books, and in my beloved BBC shows!

I think vintage and retro will always be popular. I think "natural" and "green" and "eco" are always going to be popular, too.

>>and am introducing barge or canal art painting with enamels this next year

UJ, that sounds very intriguing!! Can't wait to hear more! It sounds very you...and you-nique! =)

Comment

I live in Stoke-on-Trent, and even though we have bottle kilns, collapsing economy and buildings I have always thought myself lucky to walk just 5 minutes from my home and see nothing but hills, dales, a castle, churches and rural life.

I believe that the next 12 months again will bring make do and mend, vintage, retro, countryside and a fun English or British aspect to all crafts... gone are the days of mass produced even if they are cheaper people want to do so much more with what little money they have.

Too many families and individuals are going to food banks, altering clothes and re / up-cycling ... it seems we are all heading back to the early part of the 20th century, of WWII and the more communal days.

Will crafts reflect this I do not know but we all crave a relief of some sort whether it be by dreaming, revamping our homes and lives or just trying to pretend that reality isn't happening .

I am aiming for more home wares glances of a war torn Britain when we all helped each other and communities existed. I think lots of Jewel colours too such as emerald, ruby, royal hues... wildlife and flora as from an Edwardian ladies diary too .

Comment

i love all the vintage look, i love the shabby chic,im deffo going to be more upcycling rather than going hobby craft and spending a fortune, going to use more natural/free items, i would love to live more rural,maybe one day!!

Comment

There is countryside throughout the UK I have been through villages in Kent, Sussex, Dorset, Berkshire and Hampshire that still seem to be in the past and are maintained that way. Does not matter where you are in the UK you can find a bit of country, that is the beauty of this country never that far away if you look. We can go onto a main road, well cannot pass as no dual carriageway or go the other direction and onto the A3 but in between are woods and greenland, wildlife is plentiful with the deer, badgers, foxes and more. I think it is a case of be still and look around you will be surprised with what you see even in the parks in London.

Comment

Ive no idea whats going to be trendy except I heard Emerald green is the in colour.
                            Glad I read that people are fed up of Owls, I was going to make a barn owl thingy, wont bother now.Alos glad to hear foxes are ina s I bought a fox print top the other day.
                            https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

Speaking as a Sheffield Wednesday supporter I've been fed up with The Owls most of this season!

Personally I've a suspicion that this year is going to much like last. Slow sales everywhere and hard work to get them. I'm not saying this from any craft fair experience as I haven't yet bit the bullet and started, but in my main job I sell worktops to the Kitchen industry and that's how everyone in our business sees it. I know kitchens are far more expensive than craft items, but it's the uncertainty of job security and interest rates that affect people's perception of what they can afford, and i think that translates down in to most areas. However, I suspect that crafters have an opportunity to sell things when they stress the quality aspect of what they produce and the hand-crafted element. If people are giving more thought to how they spend their money, then let's make them think about how unique our hand made products are, and how much better value they are than a mass produced item from a national chain. (Mentioning that WE actually pay our taxes might also help at this point!)
                              As I say I haven't yet started my own craft business so this is just my guess really.
                              I also think there wil be more interest in upcycling, which suits me as everything I make is from old bits of furniture, or offcuts from work. If you look at my photo album you'll see what i mean. (Ha ha - couldn't resist a bit of sales patter there.)
                              Well, Happy New Year to everyone, and let's hope it turns out better than I've just predicted.
                              paul

Comment

Working...
                              X