insurance help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• insurance help please

Can anyone help me choice the correct insurance? I think I need public liability and my work covered if stolen or broken in galleries, online sales and craft fairs.

Thanks karen

Well you probably ought to cover the market value of your work, I should think.

I's an interesting thought...if your art is displayed at a gallery by the gallery, it would be totally up to them, wouldn't it, to do the insurance in case it fell and was ruined, or was stolen from their gallery....all that would be their responsibility to cover.

I think you should talk to your insurance agent or, if you don't have one, visit with some art insurers. It doesn't cost to chat with them and see just what you need and how much they can provide it for.

Comment

Thanks. To be honest I haven't asked the galleries if I'm covered if work gets stolen. I am guessing they're covered. But it would be good to get a policy that covered everything.
      My main concern is to be covered for art/craft fairs. I think from what i have read i need public liability, i would also like product liability.

Comment

Always be sure whether or not your fair or market organizer requires you to have PLI.

Insurance can be costly if you're trying to cover everything yourself, so talk with some insurers about just what is needed and in what instance.

I'm glad you have read other threads here about insurance - it gets to be quite a heated topic, doesn't it! But I think it boils down to what is required of you by the market, what is recommended by your insurer and how much you can afford. Naturally, an insurance agent is most likely going to suggest you get this and that, but not always, especially if you already have a policy with them. Just be honest and say you want the basic coverage that will keep you safe. They should be able to tell you just what coverage an artist would need. Do you have artist friends who could recommend their art insurer, or tell you what they've got?

Comment

As you have had public exhibits at a gallery the Artists Network should be able to help you, the pli etc is covered in the membership fee so you not only get the cost cheaper currently £36.00 by DD but you have access to their research library. They also keep you informed of any funding opportunities etc.

You will need insurance and most galleries as do good organisers insist that you hold a current policy. Any organiser not requesting a copy of your policy should ring alarm bels and be worth checking as most event organisers insurance will be invalidated if the stallholders do not hold pli. The gallery may not of asked as assuming you are a business would have thought you had it automatically.

I checked with the A-N insurers, Hencilla Canworth and it covers for online, events, exhibitions, galleries etc plus selling overseas providing your terms and conditions state sold under English law and a lot of other areas as well.
          Last edited by Caroleecrafts; 20-12-2012, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroleecrafts View Post
            As you have had public exhibits at a gallery the Artists Network should be able to help you, the pli etc is covered in the membership fee so you not only get the cost cheaper currently £36.00 by DD but you have access to their research library. They also keep you informed of any funding opportunities etc.

You will need insurance and most galleries as do good organisers insist that you hold a current policy. Any organiser not requesting a copy of your policy should ring alarm bels and be worth checking as most event organisers insurance will be invalidated if the stallholders do not hold pli. The gallery may not of asked as assuming you are a business would have thought you had it automatically.

I checked with the A-N insurers, Hencilla Canworth and it covers for online, events, exhibitions, galleries etc plus selling overseas providing your terms and conditions state sold under English law and a lot of other areas as well.
            Thanks both.

Carole, sorry if this sounds stupid, but are you saying that both the Artists Network, A-N insurers and Hencilla Canworth offer the same sort of insurance cover?

Thanks,
            Karen

Comment

The Artists Network goes under A-N and use Hencilla for the cover, so they are one of the same

Comment

Thanks Carole - I got a tad confused then. I'll take a look.

K

Comment

I am going to go with The Artists Network. Thanks for your help

Comment

Working...
                  X