Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weaving...

Does anyone do it?

I am looking at buying myself a loom and using a lot of the found stuff I have to weave wall hanging art stuff and for bags, scarves etc

But there is so much to look at and I wondered if anyone had any handy hints or any equipment they want to sell... I am looking at small stuff to start with although I think that, if I love it now as much as I did when I was a child, I may retire with a floor loom.

So... sticks, single loom, solid heddle, what is your experience?

And before anyone asks (or falls over laughing)... no, this is one I would not procrastinate over, it is what got me back into crafting to start with. I saw someone weaving on holiday and fell in love with the idea of it all over again. But I got very, very enjoyably sidetracked into other things I had done as a kid.... now I have a new job I may have a bit more time and I really want to use it well.
    Do not watch this space

Yeah me.....
    I was given a natty, French, little metal square with needly things round the edges. You could weave squares then sew them together in a patchwork way.
    I've woven on cardboard with zig zag edges at school and in schools.
    I quickly sussed it was easier on wood so made myself a simple wooden bead loom. I've just dug out a pile of necklaces I made as a teenager when clearing out my mum's house.
    Then there was back strap weaving but I soon got an inkle loom, then made one for tablet weaving. (When I say one I actually have seven but I do go into schools with them.) Meanwhile my husband rescued a table loom from his school and wove on that. That got left in the attic during one of our many moves.
    I weave baskets too. Does that count?

Comment

I think you can bu successful. If you have a new idea, you really want to realize it very much. You must have a try, by all ways. You never know until you try and you never try until you really try. I'm so sorry, I can't help you by giving you materially helps, but I think I can encourage you .

Comment

Somehow I should have guessed, all that lovely warp and weft would be irrisistable, AnnieAnna!

Reading between the lines I am guessing that, unless I want a rigid heddle loom or some such tricksiness, pointing him currently indoors at a picture and saying 'make me one of them' is the best way to go!!

I shall give him enough pocket money for wood and nails then
        Thank you!
        Do not watch this space

Comment

Well I think this scenario must have cropped up over the global centuries.
          "Dearest He-man, could you knock me up a lovely wooden weaving loom?"
          "Yes dear pretty one. Just let me finish tasting this fermenting berries drink I've been perfecting for weeks."
          " I'll knock something up myself."
          So..... there are a lot of stick and string solutions in Tibet and Peru. Back strap weaving uses your belt and you walking backwards to get the tension (but I haven't worked out how to stop and go to the loo ).
          When we were Vikings we added stones as weights to pull everything taught. (You hang the warp threads vertically...from the branch of a tree if you like....but not in England! Rain and mud spoils play.)
          Tablets can be made out of cardboard or leather (cut using scissors not saws )
          Have a look at these weavers to inspire you to use what's around you http://www.textilescusco.org/

Comment

I love weaving but not done since college, keep looking at the George Weil small looms just really dependent on size for wall hangings or small rugs or even smaller to start with the Cricket loom. That is it you have got me thinking again would love to start up again maybe the small one then can make into handbags. Now look what you have gone and made me do spend out some money, there again cannot take it with you so may as well enjoy yourself now. Good for you getting your passion back and if with weaving go for it.

Sari wool is brilliant as multi coloured and textured

Comment

@AnnieAnna - the textiles cusco link was very interesting! It's always inspiring to see people creating beautiful, complex things with the simplest of tools. Sometimes simple is best.

I have fond memories myself of using simple cardboard and wood planks with notches or nails in them to weave when I was little.

If you do end up looking for a larger, more expensive loom, I would suggest looking at second hand and local auctions, you'd be surprised by what you find! My mother found a good-as-new vintage floor loom for practically pennies.

Comment

Steph - George Weil! No! Don't look! Don't enter! It's like the Witch's Gingerbread house or Alladin's cave or the Hotel California. You'll never leave.

Craftingfingers - although I whole heartedly do NOT support child labour I'm completely in tune with the kids who are helping their mums or grannies. I learnt at my grannies' feet (or should that be hands) and have always loved every minute of it.

Comment

I know what you mean Annie go in for something simple end up coming out laden down with all sorts of goodies and considerably poorer

Comment

While I was doing something mind numbingly boring......I was just trying imagine what kind of weaving you'd do, Caroline. Would you be into weaving magic just with patterns or would you be doing it with textures?

Comment

Textures, I love al the bobbly bits on yarn plus adding some small gems and those Indian style mini mirrors with perhaps a gold lures thread running through the design and must not forget beads. I did a piece for an exam and the theme was a rumbling brook, all blues and greens with the off but of brown for the sides of the stream, sadly long gone not sure what Mata did with it.

Comment

Imagination running riot now!
                        Steph. Have you done your Christmas cards? Mounted mini weavings. If they are small you'll do them quickly. All bobbles and beads. I picked up some lovely cards from an artist. One was an abstracy liney take on winter trees and the others were christmasy green and red but (still puzzling over these) I think they are a fishing net in snow with seaweed. (Caroline's rumbling brook set off that thought....)

Oh a funny story. Whilst moving home I valiently zoomed out to do a talk to an embroiderer's guild. Got there to find I was booked for next year not this but got invited to stay. The speaker was showing us her machine embroidery but it was very weavy. She soaked away the backing and was left with all the threads tangled beautifullu together. Her work was very textured and she used gorgeous combinations of colours.
                        Never mind about Steph. I must weave NOW!

Comment

OK, so now I have some weird images in my head (walking backwards, attached to strings, cross legged bursting for a wee), a webiste I am too scared to look at, a good idea of what is to come when He-man makes his promises and a whole heap of holiday reading round to do.

At least I have already done one of those things, Annie - I have used that dissolve stuff, the art teacher here made me do it.... I am hooked. I have so much found straggly, stringly stuff that will sew together beautifully.

I knew I keep coming back here for a reason
                          Last edited by StefC; 19-12-2012, 10:33 AM.
                          Do not watch this space

Comment

I use the cold water soluble all the time produces the most amazing lace effects.

Comment

Working...
                            X