Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you stop thinking!

Oh my days!

My mind does not stop thinking of ideas, example, been up since 4 oclock because I was thinking of toilet roll holders!
    I see something whilst i'm out and I go home sketch out what I can do with it (putting my own spin on it) and there you go, another idea!

Then I re think the last one thinking oh, thats not good anymore........ my other half is (supposed) going to buy me a sewing machine for Christmas. I've started sewing by hand its that bad! lol! But my head will not shut off. My living room is covered in sketched out ideas.

How on earth do you guys choose what to make and sell. How do you make decisions? I know its the million dollar question........

Its probably not a bad thing that I have ideas but I am finding it hard to settle on something and stop changing my mind.

This is the sign of a creative mind, we all have this problem hence I have notebooks all round the house, in my handbag etc just in case, even worse not being able to jot down ideas as at my age by the time have got home forgotten. I have journals going back 20 years with sketched designs, colour snips etc they are brilliant to keep for those moments when the brain hits a brick wall and inspiration has gone walk about.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned it's what makes life exciting! It has its downside though - I'm sure we all know it - how many times have you had a brilliant idea and can't wait to work on it, only to find that it after a few hours doesn't stand up to scrutiny and you reluctantly have to scrap it.
      Lyn
      Annie and Lyn
      www.rosiepink.typepad.co.uk

Comment

I am another one who always has paper and pen handy - day or night - cos its the only way to put the brain to rest. Ah Rosepink, how often indeed.
        Carol
        God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

who needs sleep? crafting is much more fun!!!
          full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Originally posted by beadsbydesign View Post
            who needs sleep? crafting is much more fun!!!
            Where is the 'like' button, when you needed....
            Passionate about all things handmade...

Proud owner of WowThankYou - stylish and affordable way of selling your crafts and makes

Friendly advice and coaching for small businesses

Cocoa & Heart Website

Comment

I think we would all agree that it is much better to be waking up in the night with a new idea rather than waking up worrying what to make next. I also keep the stationery business afloat with pens and notebooks everywhere for when the inspiration strikes.
              http://debbieclairegems.webplus.net
              http://www.facebook.com/DebbieClaireGems

Comment

I don't know if it is a gift but I just don't seem to run out of ideas and I would never wish to boast. I make thins in wood using a scroll saw and make things like name signs, plaques and a whole range of other things. I suppose I have over 100 items I display at craft fairs. What people need to do is think about each thing they make. Is any one else doing it, if so can I change it and make it more appealing. Never pinch any one else's design. If you see something you like then make one but alter the shape a bit, add something and so on.

When I first started I went round all the big stores looking for the "in" things. I trawled the internet for craft items and then slowly built up my designs. Every thing I now make I have designed myself on the computer and everything sells well. If a new item does not sell within 4 craft fairs I discard it. What people need to do is come up with items that appeal to certain people. For instance rand parents are always spoiling the grand kids so a large proportion of my things are aimed at these people. Also young couples getting engaged or married want something for that special day. At most craft fairs it is not unusual for me to come away at the end of the day with 10 orders. I display a lot of examples and whats in my favour is that most people have never seen the sort of stuff I make and there is no one else doing it within 100 miles.

One of the problems I had was displaying my stuff on face book and then one day looking at another craft business I saw my own designs that had been nicked and copied. It would be nice if they asked first. I have had people in America ask for permission to copy some of my stuff and thats okay as they don't pose a threat to my sales.

Comment

Originally posted by Cocoa & Heart View Post
                  Where is the 'like' button, when you needed....
                  We have one, we have one. Its a little star at the bottom left of your post.
                  Carol
                  God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

I am thankfull you started this post, so I see the others have the same issues. And I have issues when need to buy something as well - not just that I am Libra (Libras understand how is difficult for me to make choice), but I usually think: 'O, I can do that better by myself. ' Recently, I made a decision to work just on the craft I prefer at the moment, and finish the project before I start new one. And this is working fine for now.
                    http://nest2rest.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yesterday I was out shopping with my son, and we were in a boots and jeans store. I was standing around, bored, while he tried on some jeans, when suddenly my eye settled on a tag that was on a really pricey brand of jeans. I was so excited! It was great! Sooooo, I drew it and described it on a gas station receipt that was in my purse - very tiny, but it sufficed! So now I am working on something do-able for us, for my husband's guitars. I think it'll look really cool!

So there we are...we can't help it. It overwhelms me sometimes...okay, most of the time. Like you, Angelajela, I have to just pick one thing and work on that, and not think about any other projects or ideas until I'm done.

I wouldn't have the ideas thing any other way! It's intriguing, it's entertaining, it's fun!

Comment

There is a time to be thinking and a time not to think. Doing stops me thinking too much. Also reading. I won't sleep if I have an idea, so write it down and can go to sleep without worrying about forgetting it in the morning.

Comment

How do I stop thinking? A couple of large glasses of the Malt nectar, soon sorts me.
                          regards

Tam "now a hobby woodturner"

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. (John Ruskin 1819-1900)

Comment

i have a bath to make me stop thinking haha seems to work!
                            www.facebook.com/JmKeepSakes

www.etsy.com/shop/JmKeepSakes

Comment

Not only thinking but starting things and not finishing them!
                              I decided to hang all my shattered dreams (half made stuff) on a spare clothes rail. I've filled it to bursting, filled a hat stand with the over flow, taken 3 bin bags full of textiles to the recycling and still have another 2 crates to sort through.
                              I found one answer though. Impovervished DIL with similar skills. I had a dream dressing gown waiting to be made. She doing it for me for my Xmas present. Yipee!

Comment

Working...
                              X