Painting shoes! Advice please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting shoes! Advice please!

Hi, I just joined - I really need some advice on something that may seem a little different but here it is! I have quite a quirky fashion sense and like clumpy, reasonably extreme shoes (I also find them easier to walk in!) I love this pair of Demonia shoes made from matt pvc. I already own one pair, bought last year. I have since been saving up and on the look out for something similar but in a nude colour- but they do not exist, are much too generic and/or are all too uncomfortably high. So I fell onto the idea of buying another pair of these shoes I know and love and painting them the colour I want! I have been doing some research and it does seem possible to use acrylic paints as long as there is some element of primer action and possibly sealing.
    I have found a 1) flesh coloured acrylic paint, 2) a Polyvine Acrylic Enamel Paint in colour Matt Flesh, 3) a white gloss polyvine paint I thought I might undercoat with. I have also found a clear acrylic sealer: Plasti kote clear sealer paint to finish with. Basically, will this work? Has anyone tried painting shoes before that are made from similar material to matt pvc? I have read a lot of people saying that acrylics are ok, will work for this sort of project. I don't want to waste money on this (the shoes are like £50 odd quid), but equally I know I can walk in these shoes and love them, so changing the colour if possible would be ideal. I'm a reasonable painter all in all even though it's not my main passion and could probably do a fine job, it's more if this actually would work or not. Sorry if this is a bit wacko, any advice greatly appreciated

I just tried to post this with relevant links but was unable to as need to have posted 25 times...well if anyone can be bothered to copy paste below that will show the shoes I'm on about! Thanks!Demonia Charade 26 Black Matt Platform Court Shoe with Chunky Heels and Lace Trim

I would have thought that any sort of acrylic would crack when it dried as the shoe needs to flex when you wear it. Have you looked at the Dylon range of shoe dyes to see if they do the colours you need?

Comment

Originally posted by glynisrose View Post
      I would have thought that any sort of acrylic would crack when it dried as the shoe needs to flex when you wear it. Have you looked at the Dylon range of shoe dyes to see if they do the colours you need?
      Thanks for your reply! I was worried about the acrylic cracking...but does seem like people are doing it. I'm just not sure. Regarding the Dylon range I don't think you could dye this material of shoe and certainly don't have the right colour I'm after Here is a pic of shoes.
      can I paint It.jpg

Comment

Comment

Last year I painted my shoes with acrylic paint - it was paint particularly for leather, and I added some decoupage. The paint didn't crack, but anyway, I wasn't quite satisfied with the result. The shoes didn't have the sheen (even mat leather has some sheen), it was obvious they were painted. And cleaning the shoes was also an issue. May be you should try to paint some other old shoes first and then make the decision.
          http://nest2rest.blogspot.com/

Comment

I once painted some old black shoes with silver hammerite for a seventies party! By the end of the night they looked a bit of a state, but it WAS the seventies, so it was in keeping with my overall appearance. I looked like a mutant Alvin Stardust! haha. I was going to post a photo to give you all a laugh, but the computer plays up when i try, so you'll just have to imagine.
            I realise that's probably not much help, sorry.
            paul

Comment

Thanks for the replies people! I agree about practising on an old pair of shoes- I remembered yesterday I had a pair of similar material so definitely makes sense to try that first. Very amused by your comment, Paul- sounds like a wicked party! Anyway, I'll try the old shoes and see how it goes. Thanks again

Comment

Working...
              X