Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you blog about your craft? And what do you blog about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you blog about your craft? And what do you blog about?

I am vaguely thinking about starting a blog, but I've never been able to keep one going before. I was wondering what people in the craft world blogged about.
    Some of my thoughts were:

Projects that go well
    Projects that go badly (or lessons learned etc.)
    New materials I try
    New techniques I try
    Shops I use for supplies
    General business thoughts/experiences (not that I have much right now!)

Do you include other areas of your life, or just stick to your craft - the blog will probably be tied to my website/online store.

What do you include in your first post? Do you start with a simple introduction? Do you have any tips about writing?

Thanks!
    Barbara
    Wild Mouse Designs' Website
    Wild Mouse Designs' Facebook
    My Twitter

Hi Barbara

I love blogging and have a tendency to perhaps post lots, where less might be welcomed. My main blog post, which is also part of Handmade Monday, is a summary of work I have completed during the previous week (it is a great opportunity to obtain feedback on work from ones peers), plus what I have been up to outside of my craft life. I appreciate it may not be what everyone expects from a crafter's blog, but I love it.

Blogging is a great opportunity to promote other's blogs too, shops and online venues you have used and been happy with and also by following and commenting on other blogger's blogs, you get to find out what is new and interesting in the world of handmade. For a business it is a great way to encourage new custom while building a social network.

I have a guest spot on Fridays and if you have a look at my blog, you will see over the months since it began there have been a variety of great posts. If you would like to be a guest blogger, please let me know.

Jill

One craft project, like one cookie, is never enough!

http://christmaspiecrafts.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: @jillspain
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/ChristmasPieCrafts

Comment

If your blog is going to be connected to a website/online store, then it may be best to avoid personal stuff and stick to what would most interest people coming to your store.
      So your list......
      Projects that go well
      Projects that go badly (or lessons learned etc.)
      New materials I try
      New techniques I try
      Shops I use for supplies
      General business thoughts/experiences (not that I have much right now!)
      .....sounds like a good idea.

When it comes to writing style, how about writing as if you were stood in a room speaking to a small audience? Always edit your post - leave it a few hours - then edit it again! Try reading it aloud - does it still sound good?

Read a few blogs to see different writing styles. If you find one you like, emulate it.

One way to make yourself blog regularly is by making a commitment. Enter it in your diary. If you choose to blog the first Wednesday in every month, then do so, and during the month jot down notes as ideas occur to you so that you don't have a blank page next time.

Last edited by rosiepinkStudio; 27-08-2012, 12:24 PM.
      Annie and Lyn
      www.rosiepink.typepad.co.uk

Comment

I tend to blog about whatever I'm up to and then connect that post to my business/craft in some way. So if my young son tips all of my spices in a pile on the kitchen work surface I blog about it and mention how much I laughed/cried and how long it took me to clear up (or something like that).

I think that posts that relate to your personal life help potential and returning customers understand and know you a little better, something akin to a chat you might have with them if you saw them in person and had a, "How's things with you?" chat. Obviously I don't really go in for very personal posts but I think that you can go for whatever level of sharing you're happy with.

That way you've always got something to blog about and once you build it into your routine it's easy to keep one going. Good luck!
        Custom tribal belly dance costumes & accessories

Unique jewellery for those who love to turn heads

Comment

I tend to blog once a week and Handmade Monday is a very good way to help me to keep committed to that. Because I'm blogging weekly I talk about what project I've been working on. Sometimes I'll include pictures of the working process and a step by step guide, but only if it is different from a project I've put a guide on before, otherwise I think it'd get boring.
          I don't specifically blog about my personal life, but elements of it do creep in from time to time.
          To be honest, it's best to just have a go, and see what you think is working for you, and drop what isn't.
          Mythillogical- Myths & Fabrications: Creating all manner of three-dimensional mixed media oddities
          etsy facebook blog tumblr

Comment

Your list sounds a good place to start. I'd definitely echo the fact that setting yourself a blogging routine/commitment makes you more likely to blog regularly.

It's your blog, so make the craft/personal balance work for you. A little bit of what's going on day-to-day can help the reader get to know you, but if it ends up reading like a personal diary that can be a bit off-putting!

Write as if you are speaking to just one person, that way it ends up being quite friendly - aim for a cosy chat and you won't go far wrong.

Definitely proof read and spell check. Use full sentences (ideally short ones). Break up long chunks of text with paragraphs, photos or bullet points. People's attention span is shorter online and a long chunk of text often just gets ignored.

I've written an article on the introduction to blogging for Craftseller magazine (on sale tomorrow, 28th August) and there are some more tips on my Handmade Harbour blog (link in signature), which is also the home of Handmade Monday that the others have referred to.

The more you bog, the more ideas you'll get about what to write. Don't try to put all your ideas in one post - ideally stick to one topic per post and keep them shorter and more frequent rather than long and infrequent.

Yes, make your first post a bit of an introduction. You won't have a huge readership to begin with, so use those first posts to get to grips with how you're doing things. It's ok to make mistakes - we've all done it (and still do sometimes!).

Good luck - and come and tell us when you start!
            digital stamps for cardmakers: http://www.handmadeharbour.co.uk
            blog: http://handmadeharbour.blogspot.com
            hand painted personalised plaques, clocks, canvases, etc: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk
            blog: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk/blog

Comment

I try to blog on a regular basis.. but I invariably fail. 50% of my stuff is craft related the other 50%... i guess is photos.

I definitely need to do more! I think it helps if you know you have readers and commentators and I've had that before with personal blogs... just not there yet with the business blog!!

Comment

Mine has been mainly about random things i get up to in my personal life and items I have made.

Recently i've started doing tutorials too, so far i just have one, a photoshop tutorial, but i have many more planned for the future.

I'm also going to do book reviews and maybe even product reviews from other crafters i happen to buy from (once i actually can afford to buy from them)

I have so many more ideas for my blog which i haven't quite figured out yet, but hopefully it will be a very interesting read
                Blog
                Facebook

Quirky Handmade Fashion by The Penguin Theory

Comment

Hi, I blog about projects working on and completed and currently going through the steps of making a bouquet for a bride. She lives far away and thought she would feel a part of the process if she could see it being made along the way.
                  http://eiledon.co.uk

http://eiledonworkingfromhome.blogspot.com

Comment

Thank you all! I've started a blog on my website, first one published today as part of Handmade Monday! Hopefully I will keep it up and get better!
                    Wild Mouse Designs' Website
                    Wild Mouse Designs' Facebook
                    My Twitter

Comment

Working...
                    X