Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Innovative packaging ideas for soap?

Hi,

I have a retailer interested in my felted soaps but would like me to change my packaging from cellophane bag tied with ribbon. Any suggestions for an interesting alternative that would not be too expensive an add on? All suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Do they have to be in cellophane? Otherwise could you use cling film rather than a bag with a strip of paper wrapped round the middle.
    If not a strip of brown paper or corrugated card wrapped around the middle tied with raffia or wool looks good. I have also seen pastel flowered wallpaper used as well.
    Melanie

Comment

Originally posted by silvermaid View Post
      Do they have to be in cellophane? Otherwise could you use cling film rather than a bag with a strip of paper wrapped round the middle.
      If not a strip of brown paper or corrugated card wrapped around the middle tied with raffia or wool looks good. I have also seen pastel flowered wallpaper used as well.
      Melanie
      Thanks Melanie. The retailer told me that she already had a lot of small gifts for sale which were in a cellophane bag tied with a ribbon. Initially she asked if I could supply the soap unpackaged (for cheaper of course). I was reluctant to do this on two counts. First of all I thought the felted soap might get a bit grubby before sale and secondly I wanted a label with my name on it out there! She agreed to having one sample soap for customers to feel/smell and asked me for alternative packaging for the rest. So, I'm not sure if she is against cellophane per se, or if it is just in combination with the ribbon tie around the top of the bag. I had been thinking about using a cardboard sleeve or tying with raffia to minimise the handling, but I hadn't considered cling film so thanks for that. I was also wondering about an organza bag or miniature carrier bag if anyone can recommend a cheap supplier? Ideally though, I'd like to come up with a novel idea that will make it stand out but not be too distracting from the soap which is quite colourful. Again, your input is much appreciated. Alison.

Comment

cling film will make your soaps look cheap & homemade rather than handmade, I use sealed celophane bags to keep them fresh, they are cheap & you can use the card celophane bags as well.

Why not use card celophane bags with either cardboard wrapped round it or goto carrierbagshop.co.uk to look at organza bags, the downside is the cost cheapest will be min 30p each which bumps up your costs.
        Regards
        Wallwork Soaps
        https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...p_135607783795
        http://www.tosouk.com/people/shop/Wallworksoaps
        www.wallworksoaps.co.uk
        http://twitter.com/#!/wallworksoaps

Comment

Why not just use thread or ribbon with a label tied through? If you want info on the label, you can get quite a lot on a small label using size 8 font.

how to make felted soaps.jpg
          Annie and Lyn
          www.rosiepink.typepad.co.uk

Comment

Has she said why she doesn't want the cellophane ? i think it looks pretty and you can see the product also, there may be a reason which you can come to an agreement on. Can you use plain white bags, like those you used to by penny sweets in, and design a small information card about the soap with a link to your website on - that way you get advertising too. I do love the way that "Lush" stack the soaps in the shops and you can pick your own, perhaps you can do compromise with a display instead, but i understand about the grubby thing, perhaps you could just put a thin clingfilm on them to protect them - let us know the outcome, i'm intrigued of how you would do it
            Good Luck
            Helen
            Life is too short to wonder "what if"

www.cwmfedwcraft.co.uk

Comment

I bought some handmade soaps that were wrapped in material of different patterns which looked really nice.

Comment

It sounds like she doesn't want something else in a bag tied with ribbon, so I'm in favor of the cellophane bag folded over or ends heat sealed. I use real cellophane card envelopes folded over and stuck shut with the back adhesive label. On the front, I stick an adhesive label with my logo, biz name, etc.. But do stick the front label on before slipping the soap in there! Get it nice and centered...

A 2inch x 2 inch mailing label makes a nice back label for ingredients, etc., and holds the folded over cello down nicely.

This way, the colorful felting shows - and as a buyer, you would want to see it.

All this is not very time consuming. But if you have the time, maybe you could make a simple folded paper box ...just a shallow "bottom," and put the soap in that if you can get it all figured out/measured out, you could print it first with all your info and your logo, then fold it into the shallow box.

Then slide it all into a cello bag and heat seal the end. That would make it different from the ribbon tied bag approach.

With felted soap, you really want the beautiful bar to show! But it is so true - they do get grubby looking after a few handlings. And it always seems everyone has to put their nose all over it, sniffing and sniffing. =P

At market, I put out a sniffy bar and wrap the rest of my soap in cello envelopes...and STILL, people put their noses all over the cello bag trying to smell through it...everyone is on autopilot these days and not paying attention. I always smile (through gritted teeth) and tell them it's easier to smell using the sample bar in front of it...some smile sheepishly and some are honestly quite surprised...amazing! I imagine this would not happen much in a shop.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmic grammie View Post
                  At market, I put out a sniffy bar and wrap the rest of my soap in cello envelopes...and STILL, people put their noses all over the cello bag trying to smell through it
                  Just had to give my agreement abut this. I get this all the time with my candles and it gets so frustrating, especially since people have to reach over the unwrapped candle to get to the others.
                  Stephen
                  Website - Soy of the North
                  Blog - If Soy Candles Could Talk
                  Twitter - random thoughts
                  Facebook - more random thoughts

Comment

I'm so glad to hear I'm not alone in this experience - I was beginning to wonder! =)

Comment

Hi Everone,

Thanks for all of your input. I tried lots of different options and sent a photograph showing them. Her favourite (and mine) was wrapping the soap in a piece of hessian and tyeing (sp?) it with a label attached. I left the ends of the soap uncovered so that the customer could still see/smell the soap, but I think it shouldn’t get grubby this way. She hasn’t placed the order yet, but I’m quite hopeful.

P.S. I think the smelling is an absent-minded reaction. I’ve even had someone pick up one of my crocheted wooly sheep keyrings and sniff it. What she expected it to smell of I’ll never know!

Comment

I had a chuckle about someone sniffing the sheep keyring - but I agree with you, it's a reaction/instinct that hasn't been eradicated by evolution. After all, watch any animal approach something new. What's the first thing they do when they close enough?

The idea of the hessian and label is a good one.
                        Annie and Lyn
                        www.rosiepink.typepad.co.uk

Comment

how about wrapping them in fabric. You know, the sort of stuff that has a plastic back. The sort of thing I am thinking about is the thin plastic table covers you can get quite cheaply, but some of them have nice bright colours printed on them.

Ordinary fabric ,I suppose would not suffice, as the soap would rub off onto the fabric.

The plastic backed stuff may do the job, as it can simply be folded around the soap with your sticker on the top. The downside to this idea, is that I don,t know whether the soap would sweat inside the wrapper, if it was sat in a shop window in the sun.

It's just another mad idea on fathers day

regards
                          John
                          www.jbwoodcraft.co.uk

Comment

Thanks again for all the suggestions... they've all been tucked away for future reference x

Alison

PS New likers of my Facebook page (Yowe) go into a prize draw at end of July if you are interested!

Comment

Working...
                            X