Where to Sell Greetings Cards? :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to Sell Greetings Cards? :)

Hi I just wondered if anyone knew of any good places to sell Greetings Cards? I currently sell on Etsy and Folksy...and have a few on Ebay and Misi...though no sales on those :/ Are there any other good sites? <3

In my experience, anywhere you can is the simple answer.... Online isn't always the best for selling cards initially , depending on what you sell. Getting your cards and your name out there by having a web presence and also selling at fairs and events, in shops or other retail spaces can really help. Once people have experienced your wares and been able to put a name to the face behind the product, they are more likely to return and buy from you online. Lots of people still like to feel the quality and unless they are planning way ahead are less likely to look online for a card which they have to wait to be delivered to them before they can write their message and send it on to the intended recipient....and the majority of those who seek out special cards tend to want to write in them rather than have them sent direct with computerised message.

Hope that helps...will be interested to see what the other card makers on here have to say.

Comment

Of course this idea does depend on where you live and work, but, an easy and successful way to sell cards is via a large office. I once knew someone who worked in a seven storey office block and she never had to leave the building. She would circulate her wares and the orders flooded in!
      Annie and Lyn
      www.rosiepink.typepad.co.uk

Comment

Honesty boxes tend to work well in offices, teachers lounges /staff rooms etc and can be a great source of sales... but I thought OP is hoping more for online suggestions...

Comment

Local shops can be a good outlet. I am only a hobby card maker but get asked if I want to make cards to sell in peoples shops. I leave mine in a nail salon but I've been asked by a lady in a hairdressers and a Chemist. People order my cards months in advance so I will put their names on them or do a requested design. They don't get too specific in their design requests so its not a problem. I do only charge £1.50 to £3.50 for most of my cards but I have timed how long they take to make and I could make a reasonable amount of money if i were to make them in a production line manner. I like to 'play' with my design so I don't have to charge for my time. Some of the cards people like the most have been the cheapest to make in terms of material costs. I do prefer to use what I like though and not concentrate too much on how much my materials cost. I do note how much my materials cost.

Comment

Thank you all for you're responses and advice I am going to approach a few small independent card/gift shops in the area and see if they would take any, probably on sale or return Obviously it will vary from shop to shop, but roughly what percentage of the sale do shops you have sold from take...based on a sale or return basis? I have read before that somewhere around 30-40% would be normal...does this seem about right?

Comment

I make so little on mine that I only give 15% of the card price to the shop.

Comment

I have never offered sale or return to any of the shops that I supply and they haven't asked. Cards get easily damaged in shops depending on how they are displayed so if you can avoid sale or return I would. Have you thought about a home party? Lots of people are doing home parties these days and I got together with someone selling vintage style homewares to do one and it worked well. Hairdressers and florists are another good one. Offices are a great place to sell and if you don't work in one yourself you could offer a percentage to someone you know who does. I agree that people want to see and touch the cards so online can be difficult for cards. Wishing you luck. Angela x
                Angela Devine

Comment

None of mine have ever got damaged and I pack them all in one big box. The cards are all in sealed cello wrappers which protects them.

Comment

I don't do sale or return either ...in my experience there is more risk than profit in selling cards this way.... and there are a million (slight exaggeration perhaps) other ways to get your goods out there and get yourself known in the process. Reciprocal links (virtual and real) with another relevant/appropriate small business can work well for both parties... If you plan to have boxes of cards in various places (offices, schools, salons etc) it is important to make sure you update/refresh the display on a regular basis and let people know there is new stock

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X