A question for etsy sellers...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for etsy sellers...

Do you buy much from other sellers on etsy? or sell much to fellow etsians? I'm just curious really... a thread i was reading on linkedin got me thinking about how much really comes of people favouriting your items (other than the feel good factor of someone else liking what you've made!)

I find that i want loads of things from etsy but tend to only actually buy a few cheaper items - these days money is a bit tight for this handmaker! I don't think i've ever sold to another etsy seller (i've only had a shop there since January though so there's still time!!!)
    Website
    Etsy
    Facebook
    Blog
    pinterest: freespirit2012

Hello Natalie, Yes, I've bought a couple of things from Etsy sellers - items, such as wool, that I use in my craft.

And I've sold from my Etsy shop to other Etsians.

Have you taken part in the forum discussions? If your avatar appears regularly, people may be curious and click to see your shop.

Sorry if you've already thought of this, but have you approached 'homestyle' magazines to see if you can get your lovely items mentioned? Or maybe used in a photoshot?
    Some magazines have slots with names like 'Must Have Items' and the editors are always looking for new stuff.
    Annie and Lyn
    www.rosiepink.typepad.co.uk

Comment

does that really sum up Etsy then..... a site to sell to other crafters instead of the general buying public? ....... let the soap boxes come out on this one
      Tutor in PMC Silver Clay in the West Midlands
      Facebook:
      https://www.facebook.com/MetalClayTutor
      http://www.artclayjewellery.co.uk

Comment

thanks rosiepink, i haven't approached homestyle magazines with my items, that is a good idea - i guess because i'm pretty new to some of the crafts i'm trying i haven't felt quite ready to put my work 'out there' in that way!

I do take part on the etsy forums and have had quite a few people favouriting my items and shop now and am also in a fair few circles.. i guess i was just wondering what more experienced etsy sellers thought about how much the circling, treasuring and favouriting that goes on between etsy sellers actually translates into sales...

i'm of the opinion that making connections with fellow artists and crafters is almost always beneficial in some respect, and of course treasuries can lead to features on the etsy front page which is great! I hear what julsie is saying though and i think maybe etsy has become a bit of a self-contained community... i've heard a couple of people complain recently that Etsy doesn't advertise enough to non-crafty folk, and maybe something does need to change.....?
        Website
        Etsy
        Facebook
        Blog

Comment

I've purchased and sold to other etsians. Many of my sales though I've found they haven't bought much they seem quite new to etsy. (I like to have a nosey at my buyer!) some fabric I've bought I have olny seen on etsy x
          Dee x
          Visit ZukieStyle for Handmade Fashion & Pet Accessories
          Follow ZukieStyle for all the latest designs Facebook & Twitter
          Read ZukieStyle's Blog Or Visit Us On Etsy!

Comment

Its beginning to seem like etsy sellers are more likely to buy supplies than finished products from etsy... (the top 16 etsy sellers ALL sell supplies according to handmadeology!)

I think that those of us selling finished items probably need to cast our nets a little wider than etsy world to get the sales we're after...!
            Website
            Etsy
            Facebook
            Blog

Comment

Originally posted by free spirit View Post
              Its beginning to seem like etsy sellers are more likely to buy supplies than finished products from etsy... (the top 16 etsy sellers ALL sell supplies according to handmadeology!)

I think that those of us selling finished items probably need to cast our nets a little wider than etsy world to get the sales we're after...!
              That's interesting to know. I might start selling my offcuts!
              Dee x
              Visit ZukieStyle for Handmade Fashion & Pet Accessories
              Follow ZukieStyle for all the latest designs Facebook & Twitter
              Read ZukieStyle's Blog Or Visit Us On Etsy!

Comment

me too!!!
                Website
                Etsy
                Facebook
                Blog

Comment

I have brought from etsy & sell on it, most of my sales seem to be to non sellers, I often favourite things that I go back to later and buy for birthdays, xmas etc
                  Karen

http://www.etsy.com/shop/karensBeadCreations
                  https://www.facebook.com/KarensbeadCreations

Comment

thanks Karen,

yeah, i know what you mean - the first thing i do if i want to buy something for someone (or for myself!) is look at my etsy favourites
                    Website
                    Etsy
                    Facebook
                    Blog

Comment

I was on Etsy for years.... when i lived in the USA and here in the UK. This is the conclusion I came to. Etsy don't really push their marketing outside the general 'Crafting' population here in the UK, so the majority of people who know about the site here, are fellow crafters.
                      In the states, it is marketed a little wider, to include 'general public' (non-crafters, or 'muggles' as I like to call them!).
                      So, if you want to sell more to the general public, you need to offer postage to the USA. 90% of my sales were to the USA, even though the postage prices were much higher.
                      www.thehandmadegiftco.com
                      info@thehandmadegiftco.com
                      Retail Shop: 15 Broad Street, Stamford, Lincs.

Comment

thanks, what you say is really interesting and it fits with my experiences too... it would be great if Etsy could put more effort into marketing to British 'muggles'

... on this subject, if anyone is interested in spreading the word of British crafters on Etsy you might want to consider sending some business cards to this event: http://keepcalmevents.blogspot.co.uk...ease-send.html they are going to be covering a table with over 1000 stacks of business cards from UK Etsy sellers - there will be press coverage of the event and people will be able to take cards from the table during the day...

i've sent mine off! and will do my best to support anyone else making an effort to publicise the work of Brits on Etsy
                        Website
                        Etsy
                        Facebook
                        Blog

Comment

I started selling on Etsy a few months ago - although I had had an account for a couple of years I think. So I am very inexperienced there.

I am trying both sides of the fence, supplies and my handmade art beads / jewellery

Mostly I was just listing my ceramic work - because my polymer clay and lampwork art beads already sell pretty quickly from my website anyway. The ceramic clay work is a naturally slower mover so it made sense to test that out on Etsy and get more exposure for it (already being quite active for ceramic beadmakers)

I also listed some supplies - things like my microfine glitter kits, the renaissance wax etc.

On the whole, the interest has been far more for the supplies side of things. I think I have picked up a few new customers to my website from the Etsy presence too though.

I'm sure with Etsy it is a numbers game though - have more stuff listed, you'll get more exposure. But generally I think there are more makers buying supplies than muggles buying finished items!

I have no idea how effective being in different circles, treasuries and all that is. Only time I have really noticed spikes in my views are when I have listed more stuff for sale.

I don't really invest that much time in to it to be honest... like so many of these places, I think they always spend more time marketing themselves to the people they want to encourage to sell there than they ever do trying to find buyers of them items these people are selling.

That is one thing I will say for Ebay - they have always focused their marketing on the end-user buyers and it has worked for them. Too much so as they are now just a mass-produced dept store and its hard for designer-makers to earn much there except for a few niche categories that are hanging on, like the US lampwork for example.

I always think if these sites concentrated on finding buyers, then their own sellers would naturally build anyway as people catch on to the sucessful buzz.
                          Emma
                          www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
                          www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
                          www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

My experience of selling on Etsy has been that most sales are to non-crafters and I would say that I make an effort to add people to my Circle who are not shop owners (but that's not to say that I don't add shop owners) in order to encourage this.

I find from my shop stats that people who are within Etsy find me, so fewer potential customers come via any other route such as Facebook and Twitter.

And I have bought a couple of things on Etsy because they have been unusual and I've liked them.
                            Custom tribal belly dance costumes & accessories

Unique jewellery for those who love to turn heads

Comment

I've not got a lot of things listed on etsy but I've not made a sale yet.

I haven't spent any time on the forums so people don't really know I'm there.

The main reason I haven't invested any time promoting my shop on Etsy is because the product liability insurance I have does not cover me for selling to the US due to their (perceived or otherwise) high claims culture. As much of the Etsy market appears to be american, I've been putting my efforts into more UK based outlets.
                              www.helensmalldesigns.co.uk
                              https://www.facebook.com/HelenSmallDesigns
                              Small Things Bright and Beautiful blog: Here

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X