bone working/cleaning advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bone working/cleaning advice

Ive always been interested in bone work so i decided to look into it deeper and bought a cow shin bone from my local butchers but im woundering how best to clean it? its still covered in tissiue and some blood as it was fresh.
    ive seen people say to boil it and otheres say not to boil it as it will make the bone to brittle to work with.

any and all advice is welcom

Jordan x

Originally posted by HangingMarbo View Post
    Ive always been interested in bone work so i decided to look into it deeper and bought a cow shin bone from my local butchers but im woundering how best to clean it? its still covered in tissiue and some blood as it was fresh.
    ive seen people say to boil it and otheres say not to boil it as it will make the bone to brittle to work with.

any and all advice is welcom

Jordan x

Hi Jordan and welcome to the forum.

I have been trying to get my hands on some Owl pellets for the tiny bones in them.

The research I have some on them is that they are clean and would only need some sterilisation, bleaching, boiling, baking etc.

Nature can do most of it for you, ants etc. or simply let it rotting.

I found this and more below, hope it helps? http://www.mysticgriffin.com/craftingnatural.htm

Oh, and don't forget to post your pictures when you've done it.

Vik

Working with raw bone; as in from a butcher? Boiling can cook the bone and cause the fibers to be splinters; or out right damaged. The best way to preserve the lustrous qualities of raw bone (still pink inside) is to let Mother Nature have at it. Hang it from a tree, or some place where animals can't get to it; put it in a cage outside. "Fly babies" will clean it. Sterile maggots can be purchased, but the wild ones are fine generally. When the insects have abandoned the bone, and it's dry looking, it can then be soaked it very hot water to soften any remaining tissue for removal. Don't let it get rained on for several days in a row, if it's outside. To sanitize, place on an old cookie sheet and bake in the oven at the lowest temp (about 150) for about 1 to 1 1/2 hour per pound of bone. If your oven runs hot, prop the door open a bit every now and then, because again, you don't want to cook the bone, (a smaller table top oven could be bought just for craft use).
    Oakdale Studios Facebook
    Bob Tanner Facebook ~~Viktor von Forkenspoon Facebook ~~Shirt Creek Facebook

“Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become;
    bigger, fatter, shinier acorns, but that is of interest, only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better, that we can become oak trees.”

Comment

This might be an odd suggestion, but it couldn't hurt to try it.

The Mütter Museum has a vast collection of bone and skeleton displayed, there is contact info on their webpage, who knows, they might throw some pointers at you if you told them what you were doing. The museum is a physicians museum, though and they could just over look a question about cleaning if it does not apply to the medical field.
      Soft Flex Company

Soft Flex Company on Twitter

Soft Flex Company on Facebook

Comment

"Hi Jordan and welcome to the forum.

I have been trying to get my hands on some Owl pellets for the tiny bones in them.

The research I have some on them is that they are clean and would only need some sterilisation, bleaching, boiling, baking etc."

i found a site that sold them while i was looking for some bone supliers (turns out it only cost£1 for a shin bone from my local butchers HA!)
        but it was american based so im not sure what there stance on sending thing outside the US
        i will try and find the site if you like?

im currently bleaching the bone(to give it a nicer white finnish) as i type this i decided to gently simmer in bleach and watter and regularly remove and clean it with a knive....but i tell you the cutting the ends off it removing the marrow and washing it as i said above dosnot smell that great... so if anyone dose decide to try it try and have a strong stomach...

Jordan

P.s thanks for the advice its defo apreciated

Comment

Working...
        X