Catalogue Conundrum!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalogue Conundrum!!!

I have given in and have agreed to do a candle party for one of my friends.

Now I have made up the order form, feedback bumph and things like that.

Do you think I need to give the guests a catalogue with my candles and the prices on it or would me taking the candles along to the party (doh like I wouldn't do that!!) and telling them how much do.

If a catalogue is recommended do I make one up myself or go to the expense of getting one printed (which I am not on for doing really cause they are way so expensive).

Sorry to bug you lovely people any info greatly received.

Cheers.

Lisa

Bowed Over
    Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
    www.bowedover.co.uk

I think you can get away without a catalogue, as long as the things are clearly named on the order form..
    But if you did do a catalogue you could make up a nice one yourself.. with a nice photo album and photos of your products... label them a b c or whatever, but then i suppose you would only have one catalgue so that would only benefit you if you arent able to take every product you have to the party..
    I've taken photos of most of the designs of jewellery i've made put them in an album and am taking it with me at the weekend, as then people can look at the photos on the table and they may see something that has already sold that they can order... (i can hope)
    http://icecreambird.blogspot.com/

Comment

That's another idea I never thought of - suppose when they are all sitting the album could get handed round. Will have a think. I am going to take 1 of all the candles I want to sell with me that way people can touch, see what size they are, quality etc. I am going to take a votive with one of every fragrance I do so that will be quite a lot but at least they can smell what they are buying.

My nerves are really acting up I hate speaking in front of people but my stuff is good, I'm proud of it and after a couple of bottles of wine I'll be fine!!!

Thanks again.

Lisa

Bowed Over
      www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

As this is your first (of many) party, I wouldn't invest too heavily at the moment, as you may want to add things or cut them out as you see what happens. By doing it yourself you can constantly update and do it in short runs. Normally the print run for professional printers is 500 copies which is a lot when you are talking 20 max at a party.
        You can put your own catalogue together. I used microsoft publisher, 120g (good quality) paper and a long arm stapler. The templates work quite well and give you a good layout basis.

I have found that people will want to take them away which is great because they are less likely to throw away something that looks nice and they'lll show their friends etc. However it can also have it's down side because people who can take the catalogue away will say I'll think about it and order in a couple of days.... which they rarely do!.... obviously the aim of the party is to get sales and an incentive to order that night is a must.... whether it's a votive in a christmasy organza bag ... free gift or a % off, it makes people do it there and then.
        full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

I've got publisher at home and I use it to make flyers for the fairs I go to - get the kids to go out and about with them.

I thought about publisher myself. So a nice thick paper is a must - should it be glossy or matt!!! Can you tell I am nervous - or more to the point totally terrified) - I can't tell you the amount of people who have asked me to do parties and I have totally bottled it. My friend does a lot for me and she wanted me to do one last year but again bottled it - so thought I really need to do one now - AAARRRGGGGHHH.

I can talk for Scotland but talking in front of stangers frightens the knickers off me!!!

Cheers.

Lisa

Bowed Over
          www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

I think if you do something quite simple and basic but make it pretty and eye catching people won't give a stuff about it being on thick glossy paper (they might wonder if you've added that cost to your candles!)

More importantly is how you are - your confidence in what you are selling, your passion and your committment to it.

Plus the fragrances will sell themselves!

Just make sure you take enough order forms and that you've captured the info you need and if they need it quickly. Take a few extra forms in case of mistakes (too much wine!)

Have you got little flyers or business cards with your website on as people may want to order in the future.

But, above all, GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!

Comment

http://www.euroffice.co.uk/G/2w5/All...nd---Navigator
              i use the navigator 120g

Don't worry too much about the public speaking. I usually cluster things in different parts of the room / s I then do a short intro about how i got to be doing what i do. I then tell them I don't believe in the hard sell. I will walk around highlighting various products and alternatives and then I'll let them all sell to one another. It works a treat. They'll split up and look at different things in small groups and talk each other into buying. You don't need to talk all night and then you can move round the groups in a more intimate setting and talk for Scotland!

The alternative approach is the Virgin vie approach which (yes it is proven to work) is really the hard sell way. you pass the product round and allow each lady to look at it while they all sit down and then when it gets back to the start you can start the next one going round and talk about that.

Comment

I have business cards I can take with me - if I make up a catalogue I can punt the website on that too I suppose.

I know my stuff is good but I will need to take a whole bottle of confidence pills to tell them how good it is!!! I have never been one to blow my own trumpet - would rather let the candles speak for themselves if you know what I mean - wait to you see I will have a ball!!!

Cheers.

Lisa

Bowed Over
                www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Don't be tempted to glass of wine to calm the nerves. You need a clear head!
                  You can drink the wine when you get home and count up the takings!

Comment

Originally posted by beadsbydesign View Post
                    Don't be tempted to glass of wine to calm the nerves. You need a clear head!
                    You can drink the wine when you get home and count up the takings!

Ow god, what will I do without the dutch courage!!!!!!

Hehe.

Lisa

Bowed Over
                    www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

What about a funny game to 'open up the night' with and also, don't forget a lot of people like a raffle!!

I'm sure you will do great - your stuff is so good, it will sell itself!

Pauline
                      Personalised Wedding Cake Toppers

Comment

Pauline's right Lisa your candles are lovely they will sell themselves and the raffle idea is a good one!

I hope it goes well for you and that it gives you the confidence to do more parties. I'm sure it will. It's the right time of year to start them especially as you say yourself on your site the chill in the air, darker nights etc.

Kim
                        www.kimsmithcharmbracelets.co.uk
                        www.kimmsmith.etsy.com

www.facebook.com/kimsmithcharmbracelets

Comment

You will be Fabby. Make sure you take your flyers or buisness cads with your web-address on them. Your candles are so good they will sell themselves. Be yourself and you will make lots of money. AND TAKE LOTS OF Chocolate Eclairs ( But keep me some )

YOU GO GIRL.............

Cheers Janice.
                          www.freewebs.com/clipclophorseshoes

Comment

If it was me, I would take one catalogue, and examples of your work like you've said. If people want to buy you candles away from the party then they can do as you have a website so you can give them a flyer or business card. I went to a book party recently and people were happy to browse through a catalogue whilst other people looked at the books. It is a social event so I don't think it will be a problem if they have to wait for the catalogue. As incentive to buy you could always offer a discount voucher for money off their next online purchase if they make a purchase at the party.
                            Amanda
                            xx

Comment

What can I say that hasn't already been said?

Go for it - your stuff is so good it only needs a minimal introduction. Let people handle the goods, give them the facts about burn time, materials, components, how long it takes to make each item and safety information.

When you are a multi-million pound company and need a secretary, can I have a job?

)
                              Linda

PS looking forward to the report of how it went.

Comment

Working...
                              X