Criticism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Criticism

Now I know constructive criticism is very useful and beneficial and is what help in making your website better but do you find that some people on forums can be a little too harsh - bordering insulting?
    I have worked so hard on my website and whilst a majority of people have been so supportive and have told me it looks good, I have found that the odd person have been very rude. Just makes you stop and think sometimes - is it worth doing this, is it good enough?
    Just wanted to know if anyone else finds themselves in similar situations and how they deal with it as it really upsets me sometimes. I enjoy what I do but if it is not good enough to sell then am I wasting my time with my website?
    Sorry it's so depressing, would be just nice to hear what other people have had and how they dealt with it.

Graeme
    http://www.personalised-signs.co.uk
    Unique, personalised gifts that are hand crafted to order for all occasions.

Please follow us on Twitter and our facebook page.

The problem with forums and electronic communication is that we don't always realise that there are real people on the other end, and therefore we may not say things in quite the same way as we would if we were face-to-face with that person. I think we all do it to some extent. I sometimes get complaints where I work. Sometimes they are constructive and genuine. Other times they are just rude - but people think they are writing to a faceless organization and forget that somewhere the other end there is a person who is trying to do a good job. It's not easy, but try not to take it too personally. There will always be folk who put less thought into what they type than what they might say!
    Helen
    http://www.handbagsbyhelen.co.uk
    http://www.facebook.com/HandmadeHandbags
    http://www.folksy.com/shops/HandbagsbyHelen

Comment

I think, when you ask for 'constructive critisism' you must also remember that you are leaving yourself open to that. Most times people simply lack tact or do not have the ability to tell you 'nicely' that they think something could be improved. We humans are such a varied race you know. lol. I remember my Stepfather always said "If you do a job to your own satisfaction no one can expect more of you" He was an Engineer in the days when engineers were highly rated so he knew what he was saying. I might also add that I couldn't build a website so whatever it looked like it would be admired by me but if I was a computer wiz kid I would probably like to show off and offer that constructive critisism you asked for. lol. Are you getting my drift. Develope a thick skin and be happy in the knowledge that you have tried your best.
      Carol
      God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Hiya, I'm very sure no-one meant any harm! Everyone here likes to help, so if that's giving you a honest opinion that so be it. Sorry if that sounded harsh but it's true. Often when people talk over the net it can me miss-understood because its through typing and not in person, please don't take anything personally. Keep up the good work, don't give in because a few people have said awww this could do with tweeking up etc. Good luck!!!
        Blog: http://ostrascreations.blogspot.com/
        Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ostras-Creations/310479179004446?sk=wall
        Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Ostrascreations

Comment

Once you have 25 posts you can ask for a web site review on here. I think you'll find that people try to be gentle in the way they point things out to you. I know how much work goes into making something be it a craft item or a website and it can be hurtful if someone points something out, but in the long run it's better to get the little issues sorted out early on.
          full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

If you come on here asking for help it is far better that you let people be brutally honest and it will be to your own benefit in the end. The truth hurts and and if you can take on board what people who have far more experience than yourselves then you will succeed. If you throw the toys out of the pram at the sligtest bit of critisism you will end up as another moaning hapless crafter.

Comment

One persons opinion can be quite different to another. Art and craft is very personal, I don't particularly like the work of some of the great artists such as Picasso and find it very over-rated but is my opinion right or wrong...who knows?!?

Keep up the good work and evolve. I look back at some of my early work and cringe at some of it!! I have also been told by MANY "experts" that my website is in need of a re-design....but I am happy with it and my customers seem to be too....its all a matter of opinion.

Mick
              Preserving your items and memories in Handmade custom jewellery Keepsake Gifts

Comment

May be you should have started a thread on what should/should not be part of a website. Even with a question like this there will always be a variety of opinions.

What you have really asked is do you like what I have done. Asking for critism can be a double edged sword, you are wanting everyone to say great job, but some others will find some things tedious or unnecessary.

What is most important in web design is to think like a potential customer. Does the site work from their point of view. Would it want to make me spend money of the products shown. If you had got this right then the critism would not have been valid.

I agree many people do forget when writing in cyberspace that there will always be a person reading their words. Every person has a different way of interpreting those words and may misconstrue what has been written. When talking face to face with someone we have many ways of recognising what is being said by watching facial expressions, hand gestures, speed of delivery, tone and level of voice. Strip these away and we are talking in isolation, like being in cyberspace.

Remember there are two sorts of critism - constructive and destructive. You have to learn to accept the constructive and ignore the destructive.

Roger

Comment

No-one likes criticism - be it destructive or constructive if we are all totally honest. It is very difficult not to take any type of criticism personally in some way shape or form as we all put our heart and souls into our work.

Sadly, not everyone will like what you do and when you open yourself and your work up to the world, whether at a craft fair, website, social network or forum you will need to develop a thick skin very fast.

The thing to look at is: are you happy with your work - will it stand up against your competitors? If yes, then you don't need anything else other than discovering your customer base and developing that. Before long you will have happy customers who are more than willing to become your own little band of cheerleaders! As Mick has already said, I don't think any of us can look back at our early work and not see how far our skills and quality has improved since. I am half sad and half glad that I don't still have the pieces made over 20 years ago when I started (just thinking about what they looked like makes me squirm!)

When I started full time just short of 4 years ago, a customer who made the slightest critical comment really upset me but now I realise that not everyone likes or wants what I do but I have built up a loyal band of customers and there are plenty more out there. It is a long process and you never stop learning and improving your skill level and style and I am sure that there are plenty out there who could write a book about what is wrong with my website but I am happy with it and proud of my work.

As has been mentioned over and over again on here, it is very easy for someone to read the typed word and get a completely different message to the one that the original writer had intended. Sometimes people are being very harsh and lack a certain tact but even that can be better than people treading on eggshells and saying what they think someone wants to hear rather than what they need to hear. If you ask for opinions but don't get someone's true feeling then there is no gain and potential for growth and it hurts a lot more for you to find that people weren't being honest and they only tell you the truth years down the line.

Most criticism has a constructive element even if it doesn't feel like it at the time - you just have to find the hidden message and improve, learn, develop and prove them wrong.
                  Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
                  Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
                  Follow me on Twitter:
                  @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

Thanks guys, you are right, not everyone is going to like what I do and I am happy with my website. I just need to thicken my skin.

Can I just add that I am not referring to anyone in this forum, the criticism on here has been valid. This all happened in another forum so I hope no one thinks I'm moaning at you!

http://www.personalised-signs.co.uk
                    Unique, personalised gifts that are hand crafted to order for all occasions.

Please follow us on Twitter and our facebook page.

Comment

Hello,

I learned to be a lot better at coping with criticism at uni. We had group crits and in the first year it often felt that people were being harsh about your work. But then my tutor explained that if it seems like you're being given a hard time, it's because their trying to challenge you as they know you're capable of achieving more. Also, sometimes they would deliberately question aspects just to get you thinking about it more, then it was up to you to weigh up all the criticism and decide what you agree with and what you don't. That way you have conviction in your design decisions as you have thought about them thoroughly not just from your own perspective. I know it can get you down though when you've been working really hard on something, but see it as a compliment that people are challenging you.
                      Happywrap - Reusable Fabric Gift Wrap

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/happywrap

Comment

I also think when you create and set up your own site, it is you baby and each item has a part of you in it this makes us far more sensitive to criticism. If you were doing say Virgin Vie and someone moaned you could tell them you would take note of the comment and pass on to the powers that be but when your baby much harder to do. This is one reason why I will not take DH to fairs etc as if someone made a derogatory comment he would like to flatten them, not saying he would as a gentle soul but knows how much effort I take to make an item perfect.

Chin up it will get better and most of all keep going.

Comment

Some poeple need to learn how to give constructive criticism I'm afraid as some just see it as an excuse to be rude and do the I'm better than you.

I was always taught and used these's rules when working in big buisness.

A) Find something in that is really good and start there praise always come's first
                          B) Then you gently suggest with, maybe have you tried doing this just here it might work even better OR have you thought about?

You never ever say anything is wrong or bad or rubbish and you only ever offer suggestions and let the other person go away and consider. As your suggestion might be something the other person hadn't even considered.

C) You always end on a good point/praise after making a suggestion.

I think people are far more open to recieve constructive criticism when it's delievered in this maner than when someone has rubbish all their hard work.
                          So many projects, so little time

http://folksy.com/shops/eileenscraftstudio

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fol...92535377497013

Comment

Originally posted by aisles View Post
                            I was always taught and used these's rules when working in big buisness.

A) Find something in that is really good and start there praise always come's first
                            B) Then you gently suggest with, maybe have you tried doing this just here it might work even better OR have you thought about?

You never ever say anything is wrong or bad or rubbish and you only ever offer suggestions and let the other person go away and consider. As your suggestion might be something the other person hadn't even considered.

C) You always end on a good point/praise after making a suggestion.
                            The praise sandwich! We were taught to do this too at my old work place when offering feedback on anything.
                            Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

well, i suppose if you ask then you will get everyone and their dog giving their advice, be it nicely put or otherwise. I find it hard to convey my thoughts properly, especially on these forum type thingies and comments can get misconstrued.....
                              Tutor in PMC Silver Clay in the West Midlands
                              Facebook:
                              https://www.facebook.com/MetalClayTutor
                              http://www.artclayjewellery.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X