overlockers yeah or neyh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overlockers yeah or neyh?

Would you recomend buying one. I sew quite a lot and all ways feel my garments look amiture would an overlocker help?
    Do you still have to use a sewing machine if you use one.?
    Is it any good buying a sewland type or should I save up for one in the hundreds?
    "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
    my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Originally posted by goldy1 View Post
    Would you recomend buying one. I sew quite a lot and all ways feel my garments look amiture would an overlocker help?
    Do you still have to use a sewing machine if you use one.?
    Is it any good buying a sewland type or should I save up for one in the hundreds?
    I have never owned one, but we used them at school (when I was teaching) and I must say I still prefered to use the sewing machine to overlock my edges.
    I have a janome that has edge stitches which work just as well or if your machine is more basic, just use a zigzag.
    I'm sure others will praise them, (mainly for there speed) but I personally think your money could be better spent on some more fabircs and notions!
    incywincystitches.com - Fabric buttons, button supplies and handmade accessories
    ___

Comment

I have one but have to admit I hardly use it as I dont do fabric work anymore, except for some bags which may be in the pipeline.

Yes I agree it does give a more profesional finish but maybe you could use a zigzag setting on a sewing machine instead.

I got mine from John Lewis for £200.
      https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

Don't Like Mine.....

.....I was taught at school to finish edges using a traditional sewing machine and that's what I'm used to. My MinL bought me an overlocker (she has a sewing machine & fabrics shop) and I hate thje darned thing. All that tangly thread....

Having said that I know for a fact that many people wouldn't be without theirs....our own JBJB loves her overlocker!

Never buy a cheap sewing machine if you do a lot of sewing. If they break down or need servicing you can guarantee your local sewing machine engineer won't touch them. Buy the best you can afford, it will last the test of time better than anything costing £49.99! I see these problems with cheap machine endlessly at the MinL's shop.

Hope this helps,

Jules
        Apple Tree Crafts
        www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Comment

As Jules said .... I LOVE my overlocker. It goves such a neat finish and some people have said that my stuff looks too professional to be handmade (huh?) Having said that though, I have got a fairly expensive one that does all it's own tension - it's a Babylock Imagine airthreader. I had one before that where you had to work out the tension for each of the 4 threads and I lost count of how many times I nearly threw the b****y thing out the window. I invested in my more expensive one when I knew I wanted to make a business out of my sewing. As for whether you need a sewing machine as well .... I would say yes, just to be able to sew buttons and button holes makes it worth while! Do some research first, but I can recommend http://www.sewingmachinediscount.co.uk That's where I got both my machines from.
          Blog Website Flickr

Comment

If you decide to buy one, buy one that cuts the fabric as it sew's. I find these are better.

Comment

Working...
            X