How to make time to make...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make time to make...

There have been a few threads recently about time management that set me thinking.

I joined here this year with full intention of restarting my crafty side. I knew it would be difficult as I am an incorrigable planner, reader and pontificator - something to do with the day job, I am an FE lecturer!

But it has turned out to be nigh on impossible to get started. I have planned, researched, dabbled, bought the necessary tools and...... well nothing really! I've got a half made patchwork bag that needs the handles removing (I am a pillock), a scarflet that was cut from the wrong part of a jumper (making the matching hat and hand warmers impossible to cut out) and a bag made out of a lined scarf - 10 mins work!

I also now have a fully visible stash pile, something I have managed to keep hidden for donkeys years! OH is not impressed, not bothered much, but is now staring at it - expectantly!

So, back to my thought/question..... how do you make time to make things?

I get back from work utterly shattered. I know if I start doing something I will feel better, but oh how I just want to flop down and sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!

How did you start?? Any tips you would like to pass on to someone who just can't seem to simply get on with it?
    Do not watch this space

Maybe you are working too hard in the day job!

Firstly you should be personally motivated to want to do something. At present I think you are in the dreaming stage and have found your initial projects not run too smoothly. I would suggest finding a very easy project and put all your effort into making it absolutely perfectly.

Then progressively step up the difficulty of the project. The more projects successfully completed will make you realise that you can do things in the out of work hours that you enjoy and can do well.

The more you enjoy it, the more you will want to do it - so time magically appears (forget about the housework and other chores).

Hope this helps.

Roger

Comment

Crafting can be very relaxing so maybe you should mentally program a session into your very tiring day as a period of therapy rather than working at a craft. As Roger said, start off small, something you can do in half an hour. How about collecting 6 plastic milk bottle tops,(or less depending on how big you want it), covering each with a piece of fabric, sew them together in a circle, stick a candle in the centre and hey presto a table decoration for Christmas. That sort of time span to start off with and then grow gradually with it all.
      Carol
      God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

If I was giving advice to myself I'd say:
        1. stop chatting on this forum,
        2. either do Carol's thing - like get home from work and spend your first half hour unwinding doing a crafty thing. I used to do that with gardening when I had a 'proper' job,
        3. or tie the crafting thing in with something that happens regularly like in from work, make a meal, eat, sit down to watch the tele BUT craft at the same time.
        4. Best motivator ever - is make something for someone with a dead line. Like a sister with a birthday coming up or best of all a customer that pays money up front. That makes you feel guilty if you don't get on with it and all choices are decided before hand. No phaffing. Just make.

Comment

I'm definitely doing too much for the day job, it has taken over!

I think I also want to start at lesson J or K rather than re-starting back at lesson A! That makes sense, even projects I thought were simple have eluded me!

Oddly I only chat here on Sunday's - the one day could do a few hours worth - as I said I am a great prevairicator!

I think I shall sit down and set up a few simple 30 minute projects and see what happens.

Thanks, hopefully I will get some kind of routine going!
          Do not watch this space

Comment

Originally posted by StefC View Post
            I joined here this year with full intention of restarting my crafty side. I knew it would be difficult as I am an incorrigable planner, reader and pontificator - something to do with the day job, I am an FE lecturer!
            You plan stuff at work? That's not my experience of working with FE lectureres as colleagues
            View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Originally posted by indri View Post
              You plan stuff at work? That's not my experience of working with FE lectureres as colleagues
              OK, slip of the keyboard...... you got me!
              Do not watch this space

Comment

HE lecturers appear worse though!
                View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

I do this full time and still never seem to have the time!!

Comment

Originally posted by SnugCraft View Post
                    I do this full time and still never seem to have the time!!
                    Somehow that doen't make me feel hopeful

I am not rushing into this but I would like to semi retire into making stuff. I started earning a living with crafting as a kid and have always returned to it to supplement my wages, especially when I was a student, I made chocolate truffles for posh restaurants and hats and waistcoats for a local shop.

I think the problem is I also want a sort of small holding and being mainly self sufficient (I am practising by growing veg and keeping chickens). There is sooooooooooooooooo much I want to do....
                    Do not watch this space

Comment

Originally posted by StefC View Post
                      I think the problem is I also want a sort of small holding and being mainly self sufficient (I am practising by growing veg and keeping chickens). There is sooooooooooooooooo much I want to do....
                      The day job will certainly have to go. Along with all that steady flow of wages. You might get a pitance of a pension -if you are lucky. Never mind you will be able to enjoy roast chicken with all the trimmings, provided you do it on a large enough scale. Then there will be no time for crafting! LOL

Roger

Comment

This used to be a big problem for me... 3 steps I follow are as follows:

STEP 1) Start saying NO to things that you don’t actually want to do. It is amazing how easy it is to do when you start. And how much free time you will glean. E.g. By not trekking across town to do something you would rather not.... You will start opening up windows of time in your diary!

STEP 2) Write out a to-do list of all the things in your head that you 'need' to do. Work tasks, phonecalls. Get it all out onto the paper... Now look at it. Is there any stuff on there that you simply do not want to do? Is it essential? Are there things that have been in your mind for so long you can't remember? CROSS THEM OFF. Maybe do a little dance at the same time. This is the beginning of taking more control of your time.

STEP 3) Now... You will be left with a list of all the things you actually DO NEED and WANT to do. This is the moment to book a meeting with yourself - and block these things into your diary.

Final pointer on this: BE MILITANT with yourself. If you've booked yourself a time to do something, be firm with yourself and treat it like a meeting you would have with another person. You would not be late for them / or decide to do something else instead at the last moment that might seem more important. Be professional with yourself too!

I hope this helps a little bit... It is difficult to be strict with yourself at first, but keep trying and you should definitely find you have more time to do those things that don't seem to happen at the moment!

GOOD LUCK!

Comment

Oooooooooh! A magic three step fix......

Thanks Polly, I shall be utterly immoveable! The strictest of the strict with myself.....
                          Do not watch this space

Comment

LOL! Glad to hear it!

Crack that whip...

Comment

There is a free downloadable pdf entitled 'Time Management for Creative People' and I found it very helpful.

http://www.wishfulthinking.co.uk/200...e-free-e-book/
                              Annie and Lyn
                              www.rosiepink.typepad.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X