Left Handers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left Handers

I need some advice, today I taught another class in making rag wreaths and as part of it, I teach the students how to use a rotary cutter with a pinking wheel. Now I know that it is a little different to use when compared with a straight wheel and I worked hard getting their technique right, however I had one left hander who just could not use it, no matter what we did, although she can use a straight wheel successfully.

I thought initially that the wheel was blunt but it wasn't, cos I even replicated the way she worked and could cut the fabric... does anyone have any hints or tips if I work with a left hander again?
    Blog: http://rosmademe.blogspot.com

Ah I can see in my mind the difference between using it as a right and left hander but just can't describe it. As a left hander who was brought up in a completely right handed world I got used to using the 'normal' tools and when I was finally bought some left handed scissors I couldn't use them. I do struggle to cut with normal scissors in my right hand (the paper just bends) I guess because I learnt to hold them in a particular way when using them in my left hand - the blade is at a different angle and I think the rotary cutter will be the same. Try it yourself with your left hand and you'll probably find it doesn't cut properly for you.
    Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Natty, I actually did cut it with my left hand... and worked using the other side of the ruler... and I could manage it. And yes I even corrected her angle with the blade as you have to be at about 45' with the pinking wheel, I suspect that a straight wheel is more forgiving for her. It was just so frustrating but on reflection I am convinced it is technique.
      Blog: http://rosmademe.blogspot.com

Comment

i am also left handed although i eat right handed after being forced to on the ship to england as a child, i also find it a bit awkward with scissors but i have learned to manage. i play darts with my right had but write and draw with my left hand but i now use the mouse with my right hand after getting rsi in my left.i dont know what to advise the one thing i could never pick up being left handed was crochet
        i play badmington right handed,its weird i never really thought about it till now. Gailxxx

Comment

Originally posted by Roslet View Post
          It was just so frustrating but on reflection I am convinced it is technique.
          I think you're probably right, us lefties can be a bit cack handed (hubby winces every time I use a sharp knife) so it may just take her a bit longer to get the hang of it. Having said that I have a lovely fancy guillotine that I just can't use, it never completely cuts through the paper for me but hubby (another rightie in my world) can't understand it as it works fine for him.
          Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

I do sympathise as I'm a righty who has a lefty mum.... as a consequence I do some things left handed, I deal cards left handed, I can use the mouse left handed while tapping figures in with my right. I mix things left handed too. makes it easy to play instruments as left and right hands work togther,

doesn't help with your predicament. sorry
            Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

I wonder if the left handed student could view your demonstration via a mirror. This would show them exactly what they should do to replicate your techniques. An expensive alternative would be to video your actions and then mirror the video for playback on a laptop.

Roger

Comment

Working...
              X