Post offices closing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post offices closing

Not only do we have strikes to deal with but the closing of alot of post offices has started today!!
    If the one down the road closes, Im up pooh pooh creek.

Any news where you are?
    https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Originally posted by Seahorse View Post
    Not only do we have strikes to deal with but the closing of alot of post offices has started today!!
    If the one down the road closes, Im up pooh pooh creek.

Any news where you are?
    If mine closes I will have definitely lost my paddle!

Comment

Originally posted by samsq View Post
      If mine closes I will have definitely lost my paddle!
      Tell me about it, il have to miss lunch breaks to go into townand queue up and thats only if I get a break.

Can you buy multiple prepaid stamps?You know, the ones they print out after an item is weighed?

Comment

I think I saw something where you can print off stamps yourself from their website. I guess that would save the having to queue.

Fortunately for me the sorting office is just down the road from where I work, so I guess if I can weigh & stamp everything up I should be able to drop them off.

An after thought - I send all my orders first class / recorded and I guess I wouldn't have the ticket stamped in doing it this way!

It is really making me consider alternatives to RM!

Comment

My local post office shut last year so I need to post things in my lunch break at work - where obviously everybody else has the same idea. Because the local post offices are shut they need to go to the main ones which makes them soooooo very busy.

Arrgghhhh.

Lisa
          Bowed Over
          Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
          www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Two local post offices (one walking distance the other not) closed about 2 years ago. This made us get a business collection from home (husband has a business) and print stamp labels off via smart stamp. A lot easier.

But its not on closing the post offices - how will the people who don't drive or have business collections go on?

Comment

Our local post office is fantastic...the fact it's only about 3 doors away from here also helps a little! The couple who run it also live in the village so know all their customers, if one of the little old ladies hasn't brought enough money with her to buy her Worthers Originals for example they'll let her put it 'on tick' until next time and they even gave me half a dozen Creme Eggs for being such a good customer at Easter

They've even started an agreement with the doctors surgery in the nearest town...you post your repeat prescription in the box on the PO counter and then the prescriptions all arrive on a Thursday afternoon for collection - all the old dears are raving about it as it saves them a bus trip into town

Problem is the couple who run it are past retirement age and want to sell up...unfortunately no-one will buy a post office that might well close in the future - they've been told they'll find out in January.
              Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

I know that alot of people will suffer when some post offices will close, I don't know if any will close round here but I sometimes need my dh to take parcels to the small post office near his work as I don't have a car during most of the week. I did have a bad experience with a sub post office last week though. They totally messed up two large commissions I sent off, to the point they were returned to me two days after they were posted. Fortuneately in the town were I live we have a crown post office, and I was told by them the sub post office put the labels on the wrong side of the parcel which is why it was delivered back to me and they sent it using a service which is not suitable for a large parcel such as mine. (If I'd have taken it I might have queried it but my hubbie took it) I had to spend an extra £15 to send it again Parcel Force, having already spent £11. I have the claim form on my desk ready to go as I'm writing this.

The guy that helped me in my local post office was not kind about the sub post office at all.
                Amanda
                xx

Comment

Mine won't close but it's been up for sale for the last 2 years and no one is interested.
                  Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

Aw, I hope my local one is not going to close!

It was only opened just over a year ago and the two chaps that run it have turned it into a right little communitity meeting place! Not only is it the post office, but they do a roaring trade in hot food and coffee, with an old fashion sweet shop in the corner. Outside you can sit and have coffee 'cafe' style and everybody but everybody meets there and stands to have a good old chin wag! They must do everything from dry cleaners to flowers etc, in fact, I dont think there is nothing they don't do!

I made their wedding cake toppers for them a couple of months ago and they had their wedding cake, complete with toppers in the window for a week so people could see their cake! In fact, the toppers are still there on a shelf.

If you run out of money, they tell you to pay next time you come in, they are so trustworthy and the post office is used sooooooooooooo much.

Does anybody know how they are going to decide which one's will close? I mean, will it be the 'slow' one's that close down or what? Whichever way it is, its stooopid!!

Pauline
                    Personalised Wedding Cake Toppers

Comment

Re the strikes, I ordered some stuff online on Thursday and actually received it on saturday!!

Comment

yep, they were working today! It's 48 hour strikes they are doing and the first one was Thursday, Friday, the next one is Monday, Tuesday, and so on.

Pauline
                        Personalised Wedding Cake Toppers

Comment

If it helps and you need to send parcels which you would use RM for try www.parcels2go.com as they offer a much better service and its cheaper than the RM - I think its around £6 plus VAT to send something which would cost over £12 via RM.

If you sell on ebay you can do a link to one of your items which gives a 10% discount code.

Hope this helps!

Comment

postal strike

Guess what I have post!!!!!! loads and loads of post it just came I am in shock
                            just thought I would let you know.
                            pauline

Comment

Ooooh!
                              I hope I have lots when I get home!

Comment

Working...
                              X