Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do any of you run an Ebay Shop AND a Website

Hi everyone,

Do any of you run an Ebay Shop and a Website? I was thinking of opening an Ebay Shop and running my website but I don't know if I am taking too much on and being too ambitious!

Angela
    Angela Devine

Hiya - I think it depends on what you're going to offer on each site really. Not that I've done it (had an Ebay shop and a website) though. I used to have a website where I would sell specific things I had made or come into possession of and on occasion put things up for sale on Ebay if sales were slow and I wanted to sell a particular item or items and didn't mind if they went cheaply.

Would you have the same kind of items at each *venue*? Or would you have specifics on your website, such as the things you most love to make, and then maybe supplies in your Ebay shop? Don't forget, people go to Ebay in particular because they want an absolute bargain.

Deb
    Custom tribal belly dance costumes & accessories

Unique jewellery for those who love to turn heads

Comment

I was thinking of selling the same things and then if I got a sale on Ebay I would pop a business card in with the item in the hope of driving more business to my website and vice versa say that I also sold on Ebay. I just wonder if I will get in a pickle with stock levels etc! as I think it will be hard to keep it separate.
      Angela Devine

Comment

Well, I would question whether anyone would buy from your main website if they were able to able exactly the same stuff on Ebay...... I think that if you were to try and run both you should different items - maybe some of your cheaper items on Ebay with an occasional items that's more expensive. If you kept the two *shops* separate then it would be easier to maintain stock.

You'll also need to do some thinking about your overheads for each site - what's it going to cost you to sell via Ebay vs selling your personal site, particularly if you use a free webhost?

Comment

I tried selling on Ebay for a bit but I found the Sales disappointing
          I've actually had more interest from Gumtree Ads than Ebay.
          www.goodnightboutique.com

Comment

Ebay is a disappointing market for handmade items - most people go to ebay for a secondhand bargain!

We sell from our blog but also from Etsy and Folksy and (unless you're extremely lucky and get millions of sales) it's easy to keep on top of things.
            Annie and Lyn
            www.rosiepink.typepad.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by goodnightboutique View Post
              I tried selling on Ebay for a bit but I found the Sales disappointing
              I've actually had more interest from Gumtree Ads than Ebay.
              Vivastreet is another one to try too (same vein as Gumtree).

Comment

I pay approx £50 per month (gulp lol) to host my website which sells craft materials and handmade cards and an Ebay shop I believe is £15 per month. I have worked so hard on getting my website just right although I can't take all the credit as I did have it professionally set up. I think the way to go will be to sell different things on both sites and see how it goes ...
                Angela Devine

Comment

Originally posted by adevine View Post
                  I pay approx £50 per month (gulp lol) to host my website which sells craft materials and handmade cards and an Ebay shop I believe is £15 per month.
                  Wow! That seems quite high for a website....

Comment

I know but they are incredibly helpful and constantly update my site with new features and it gives me peace of mind lol x
                    Angela Devine

Comment

I pay approx £50 per month (gulp lol) to host my website which sells craft materials and handmade cards and an Ebay shop I believe is £15 per month. I have worked so hard on getting my website just right although I can't take all the credit as I did have it professionally set up. I think the way to go will be to sell different things on both sites and see how it goes ...
                      I know but they are incredibly helpful and constantly update my site with new features and it gives me peace of mind lol x
                      I get that from Create for £99 a year.....they've just added a Facebook shop feature which is fab-u-lous!!!
                      As for the original thread.....People (myself included) tend to go to ebay for dirt cheap bargains not quality handmade products so I'd say a website is the best option....and perhaps folksy/wow or similar too!! x
                      Sarah x

~ The Lilac Dragonfly- Handmade Jewellery ~

~ Facebook Page ~

Comment

Working...
                      X