Help! what do i do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! what do i do?

I was at a craft fair today, at a open air museum, they do old style crafts too...anyway I was asking about booking a table for future fairs...I was given the info i needed and was asked what sort of things did i make...i told them it was needle felting, and then explained what that was.
    The reply i got back put me in shock a little as i wasnt expecting it.....
    It was....
    Would i be interested in teaching it!?

I dont think my work is good enough, and i havent been doing it long myself...but they havent heard of this craft before, and think its perfect for some of their students.

What do i do??
    I'M not old...I'm just delightfully retro!!

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheTink...es?ref=si_shop

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Diary-The-Fi...1874776&sr=8-1

GO FOR IT !

I've had a look at your Etsy shop - what are you worried about?

You can teach what you know - and you know a whole lot more about needle felting than your future students who've never done it before.

Just make sure you're well prepared before you go and you'll be fine.
    Annie and Lyn
    www.rosiepink.typepad.co.uk

Comment

I'm with Annie&Lyn on this
      you work looks lovely, don't underestimate yourself you can do it!!
      sally

Comment

You will probably never think you are good enough. As long as you know more than your students and can stay one step ahead you can teach. Main thing to remember is that you are always on a learning curve yourself and don't be afraid to say if you don't know something. As an ex tutor I think too many teachers think that they ought to know all the answers and none of us do. Go for it.
        Pete.
        "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
        Facebook

Website

Comment

Another go for it vote here...

Comment

Go for it , what have you got to lose!!!!!!!!!!!
            Good luck.

Comment

Hi just had a look at both of your shops and I would say definately go for it - especially if you have explained to the organisers that you are new to this craft. Sometimes you need enthuisasm as well as knowledge.

Comment

Your work is brilliant... just do more

You are certainly good enough to teach... I always think that the phrase teach is scary, remember what you are doing is passing on your skills and you have fantastic skills. Go for it!
                Blog: http://rosmademe.blogspot.com

Comment

How weird. Two minutes ago I was e chatting with a friend who has just opened a wool shop and is thinking of running classes and I said needle felting seems to be the latest 'in' thing!
                  If I say my husband and I both started of our teaching careers teaching pottery with a how to book in one hand....does that give you confidence?
                  My tips on how to teach is think how you are doing what you are doing and break it down into small steps.
                  Each step must bring instant success (to the cack handed).
                  If you are teaching a group, start them off doing the same thing. So 1, pick up some wool. You can give them a smidgin of choice but it slows things down, eg pick a colour, any colour. Everyone has their wool? Good. 2, pick up a needle etc teaching the basic technique.
                  You'll then have some people stuggling who are happy to have produced anything and who will need your help to carry on, the middle ones who can do the next project in a similar but speeded up way, and the ones who'll have got it/done it before, who will want to race ahead to more ambitious stuff. You can just talk to those ones, giving up to 3 instructions at a time. Use them to help the stugglers if needs be.
                  Be firm and limit the number in your group, for your own sanity. Up to 6 is a joy and manageable, 10 makes you frazelled and some learnrs will get left out, 30 - you need to be a qualified and experienced teacher.

Comment

Go for it! - Explain you yourself haven't been doing it long etc - the thing is, your stuff is gorgeous so you have no worries! After the first time teaching it will feel so much better - just think of it as a group of friends and you are showing them how to do something.
                    www.m-crafts.weebly.com
                    http://mcrafts-theblog.blogspot.com/
                    http://www.facebook.com/pages/MCrafts/134228693307739

Comment

"just think of it as a group of friends and you are showing them how to do something"

That's what I'm saying don't do. It's OK with up to 3 people who are handily crafty but the minute the numbers of randomly competent learners creeps up, problems start.
                      What a teacher does is forsees problems and avoids them happening.
                      The painting by numbers approach works while you assess your pupils skills (it'll irritate the uber clever but the trick is to involve and use them as assistants). Then the next level (if they carry on) is to break them into groups. You'll probably have the helpless and hopeless, the plodders and the flyers. The trick then is to give your group a task with 3 levels. Each level brings a feeling of success. For example: say the task is on the theme of flowers.
                      The hopeless lot will make one basic flower. The plodders will make one flower quickly and have time to make others, variations on the theme, and end up with a posy. The flyers make their first flower and then you let them go wild. They might embelish it with other crafty skills or go for making a bunch or gardenful of flowers.
                      After the initial ploddy intro, everyone is kept busy for every minute of the session and goes away happy.

Comment

That's the brainwork.
                        The other tip for success is know how many people are planning to turn up. Take more than enough materals to keep them happy. Don't take anything the venue promises for granted. Try to be self sufficient. Have enough tools for each pupil.
                        Sould things go pearshaped, don't panic. Ask for help. Improvise. People are wonderful, very sharing and caring when push comes to shove, and come up with the most amazing solutions. Trust me. I've been there.

Comment

Wow!!
                          Thank you all for the compliments, the positive info, and the tips....i think what i might suggest to them is saying that i will teach basic needle felting, so that they can get other levels if they like what i teach....that way I wont feel so pressured, and can teach the basics that i know, and if they want more advance classes then they can wait till i am more advanced or find someone who is, at least it will give them a taster....
                          As for supplies, the company have offered to supply all the materials i need, i just have to give them a list, they already shear, wash and spin their own wool, i will just need them to give it to me before its spun....
                          I am going there today so will see if anyone is available to disscuss this further, if not i will ring during the week
                          Thank you so much for the support...it really is appreciated
                          I'M not old...I'm just delightfully retro!!

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheTink...es?ref=si_shop

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Diary-The-Fi...1874776&sr=8-1

Comment

I reckon that if you do teach basic needle felting, by the time the students are ready to move on you will already be two steps ahead so you can carry on teaching!!

Good luck and let us all know how you get on.
                            Annie and Lyn
                            www.rosiepink.typepad.co.uk

Comment

You don't need to be brilliant at producing items in order to teach it. Making/doing stuff and passing on information to others are two separate things, particularly with craft work. If I'm anything to go by, I like to learn very basic stuff and then do my own thing with tips and hints from others, you only need to be able to demonstrate basic work initially. Those that are naturally gifted will make progress on their own, others who maybe don't have quite the same natural skills but are enthusisastic will learn from their peers and you.

The fact that your work is fabulous has no major bearing on whether or not you can help others to create needle felted items.

I always remember a science teacher we had at school - he was straight from university, had no end of qualifications and lots of knowledge, but didn't have the skills to pass on that knowledge. He left after a term and a bank teacher stepped in for the rest of the year. The students made much better progress with this lady who had been teaching for years.

I'm another vote for "go for it" and don't forget to let us know how you get on.

Linda

Comment

Working...
                              X