am new to scrapbooking, need some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• am new to scrapbooking, need some help

ok so i have a 12 x 12 scrapbook which i started. i have about 4 or 5 pages completed. I was wondering about all ur machines, seen a sizzix big shot and then seen there are a lot more available. are these hard to use and what do they do exactly. i see so many pretty pages which i aspire to. i really want to be able to make one pretty scrapbook for my daughter, 14 months. were do u get supplies?? Everywhere i look is really overpriced. any hints? thanks a million

Hi i have been thinking about buying a big shot, but also been attracted to the side kick, which is half the price, i think its much smaller too. i currently use punches, but they are very expensive for the big ones which i would love. I have looked on ebay and they seen to be about £20.00 cheaper than in the craft shops. I have also got some amazing deals on backing papers from ebay too

I will be keeping an eye on you post for ideas, thanks for asking the question.
    Blog: http://prettyshabbyuk.blogspot.com/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PrettyShabbyuk

Tweet Me http://twitter.com/PrettyShabbyUK

Comment

A Big Shot (or similar) is about £50 brand new and there are some bargain starter kits to be had with extras thrown in. But that is only the machine cost and you still have to purchase dies to use in the machine. It is really simple to use and comes with a multi purpose platform (which is a bit like a book with a few plastic pages) and a pair of cutting plates. Using these you make a sandwich with your die and paper or card stock (or any material you plan to use) and you simple roll it through the machine by turning the handle. When it pops out the other side you have your die cut shapes ready to use. You can also emboss with a Big shot by using embossing folders, texture plates or by making your own embossing sheet. You can add ink to embossing folders before you run them through and get different effects. It is a really verstaile machine and once you get to grips with the basics you will find lots of uses for it...

A lot of scrapbooking pages are made using electronic cutting machines...they are hundreds of pounds and some work using cartridges or cards which you buy preloaded with images, shapes, words etc while others use software and work via your pc. Many of these have the capability to cut 12" size whereas the big shot has a smaller capacity (as large as the biggest extended plates) but they do not emboss.

If you plan to take up scrapbooking and /or other papercrafts then a machine could prove a great long term investment and a big shot (or similar) is a great starting point and may suit your needs longer term too...if you only want to make the odd scrapbook page you may find it suits you to buy die cuts or to maybe use the digi kits. You can download some for free and others you can buy online. A search should give you some idea of what is available.

It might be worth seeing if there is a scrapbooking club or paper craft club, group or class near to you. Often you can pick up great ideas, get the chance to try out some ideas,techniques and machines before you make any big financial investment. Some also run shares of paper and embellishments etc

Hope that helps... There are lots of online stores with great bargains to be had...sign up to newsletters to get advance notice of any sales/offers but watch for p&p as some are pretty steep.

Comment

Working...
      X