Crafts for Men

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crafts for Men

Hi there. I'm looking for some ideas from all these creative minds!

My dad is getting towards retirement age, and he wants to take up a craft. He used to be quite artistic, but I know he's secretly always wished he'd been a carpenter. He offered to help me with my glass painting, but I think he really needs something for himself and I think he'd like to be able to sell it.

So I'm trying to think of a craft that possibly involves wood, isn't too girly and could be something I could sell online for him.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Anna xx
    blog: http://puppyflyboutique.blogspot.com

shop: http://www.folksy.com/shops/PuppyFlyBoutique

If he is interested in wood, you have carving (slow), box making (slow), woodturning (fast, once got some practice). As with all hobbies there will be a certain outlay at the beginning, carving is possible the lowest, box making can be done on a bench, but helps to have the odd machine, woodturning possibly the highest expenditure, guessing £400 - £500 start up. Hope this helps you a little.
    regards

Tam "now a hobby woodturner"

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. (John Ruskin 1819-1900)

Comment

Yes. Make him buy a shed. Get each member of your family to buy him an electric saw/sander/whatever for Xmas. Put them up to asking him to make something they want. Eg. has he grand kids? A wooden toy? Do you need some display shelves for your stall? Does your mum need a sturdy step to reach the tops of her kitchen cupboards? Is your sister dreaming of a 4 poster bed? Just get him started and he'll 'get' what he prefers doing. Maybe the joy will be in long projects with beautifully constructed furniture or maybe he's got a butterfly mind and would love the speed of knocking off small things. Then he'll get a project where he'll need a lathe. Maybe it'll be wood turning that turns him on....or fretwork...or....

I've come across some lovely groups at craft fairs. There's a band of merry men that turn wood who get together in each others sheds for a natter, a bevy and a sharing of experience and they demonstrate and sell as a group at fairs. There was one on the tele in London called Men in Sheds where they shared a power tool filled workshop. That would be a fun way to go.

Another idea is for his birthday - buy him a short residential course on bodging. (Making furniture from wood cut directly off the trees.)

Just get him started and he won't be able to stop.

Comment

What about pyrography? One of our moderators Si (Woodtattoos) taught himself and got so good at it he was approached to write a book about it http://www.amazon.co.uk/Woodburning-...8675091&sr=8-1 I bought it (got it signed so it'll make my fortune one day ) and it's fantastic for beginners but also has more advance projects too.
        Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

If he is artistic and can draw, what about some hand glass engraving? That way his work would compliment yours. Get him to have a look at Lesley Pyke's videos on utube to see if it's something he would like. If he would like any advice you can PM me.
          Bert.

Website
          Facebook
          http://myadventureswithglass.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Could have a go at candlemaking... great fun to make them and you get to enjoy the end results (or sell them). There are some fantastic starter kits you can buy to see if it is something that he may enjoy and they are usually a reasonable price.

HTH

David

Comment

It always depends on how much he wants to spend starting up. Initially I would suggest a scroll saw as this can be used very creatively making signs, animals, key rings, etc.

If he really loves wood then I would suggest either wood carving or wood turning. Both are very satisfying when viewing the end results.

For a lot of carpentry he might find a router and table another possible avenue to follow. Machining wood to tight tollerances is almost wood engineering.

Other options could include making dolls houses, wooden toys, bird boxes, half models (cars or boats). Let him decide what takes his fancy and let him find his own enjoyment. Working with wood can be very satisfying and the aroma of freshly cut wood or some of the finishing products cannot be matched in any other craft.

Roger

Comment

Originally posted by TePe View Post
                If he is interested in wood, you have carving (slow), box making (slow), woodturning (fast, once got some practice). As with all hobbies there will be a certain outlay at the beginning, carving is possible the lowest, box making can be done on a bench, but helps to have the odd machine, woodturning possibly the highest expenditure, guessing £400 - £500 start up. Hope this helps you a little.
                What about model making. small enough outlay and small enough to start anywhere. and he could get quite ambitious to make sail boats with remote controls and take to the river or the lake. I hope he finds his niche. lol
                some of mywork can be seen on www.craftsuprint.com/kathleen-francis/

you can also look on facebook page Karamia Kards

Comment

Working...
                X