Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make something ridiculous?

Hi,
    I have hunted down this forum in the hope of finding some inspirational ideas to put into my project.
    I am making a stage next week for a festival tent. My DJ booth is going to be a mouth with gold teeth. The basis of the structure is some ply wood which we will cut to shape. I am wondering the best way to make some really bright looking gold teeth and some luscious looking lips. There will be some lighting on it, a few LED par cans. Just using gold spray on wood might be a little bit poor, I think.

Here's a mini mock-up of the stage
    Stage design lips.jpg

Any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks
    Adam

Love the name Adam, and love the idea!

You could ask for mums and aunties to make up some padded red material for the lips... a shiny waterproof material would also look good.

As for the teeth.... I'm not sure what would really sparkle, but I bet someone else here will.

Good luck!
    Do not watch this space

Comment

Hi,
      thanks for your reply!
      shiny waterproof would look amazingly gross. Yes! Currently it's a 'paint on ply' type deal and feel that the lips would really benefit from being slightly 3D. Any ideas how cheaply achieve that (without being a major fire hazard)?

Comment

You can buy fire retardent material but I suspect that would get expensive, link £15 per metre, but lightly padded vinyl

link not padded, £8.00 per metre.

They would both look great suitable quilted with the right stuffing - often fire retardent anyway as it is used in cots/kids toys etc.
        Do not watch this space

Comment

You could try Ods and Ends paint for the teeth. I would reccomend the Brass not gold, Brass is much brighter.( It dries like a plastic coating ) Then maybe sprinkle with gold glitter?
          I got my paint for Wilco not too expensive, but you look like you going to need a lot. I found spray paint quite dull.
          Hope this helps.

Folksy shop http://www.folksy.com/shops/Fairyweb

Comment

thanks. I'll try and remember to post up the finished product!

Comment

Working...
            X