Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning silver

Help please!

I have some sterling silver and Whitby jet jewellery that was a gift some years ago. I haven’t worn it for a while and it’s become tarnished. I’ve dipped it in my jewellery cleaner and given it a good rub with a cloth, but it still doesn’t look very good. Could anyone advise on the best way to clean it without damaging the stone? The necklace chain is quite delicate and I’m a bit fearful of snapping it. The earrings are stones set in silver.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Wid

you can get vibrating cleaners that simply use warm water and micro vibrations to clean the dirt off. I would think you can get them in argos.
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Line a dish with aluminium foil (kitchen type is fine). Place your silver pieces so they touch the foil in as many places as possible. Add hot (just off the boil) water and a couple of tablespoons of bicarb. Chemical magic happens and the tarnish transfers to the foil, leaving the silver shiny and lovely. This works for just about any silver or silver plated item, but is NOT good for anything with porous or organic stones (eg turquoise, emeralds, pearls, amber etc).

Ultrasonic cleaners are great, but not really ideal for stone set jewellery.
      george
      www.mizgeorge.co.uk
      www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
      www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Sounds good thanks, though is Whitby Jet porous do you know????
        Wid

Comment

Yes it is. It's highly compressed wood that has gone through mineralisation, however it remains very very soft. so I wouldn't advise the chemical process.
          full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

So now what do I do?
            Wid

Comment

When I did a silver-smiths course many moons ago I was told that warm water and a couple of drops of washing up liquid plus a soft cloth would clean silver as well as any of the equipment she had in the workshop. Maybe that will work? I have to confess it's how I clean all of my silver pieces now, including ones set with amber.
              Custom tribal belly dance costumes & accessories

Unique jewellery for those who love to turn heads

Comment

Thanks, I'll give it a go
                Wid

Comment

I dont know if this will help but i always used Chrome & Plated finish Polishing Kit (easily found on google) they come with a cleaning step that as always worked for me

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                    I dont know if this will help but i always used Chrome & Plated finish Polishing Kit (easily found on google) they come with a cleaning step that as always worked for me
                    I'm going to try the cheap option of washing up liquid first, but if not successful with try this.

Thanks!
                    Wid

Comment

Ah I missed that one, yeah i have had success with this as well, guess its always worth a try first

Comment

Working...
                      X