Vintage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage

Might be a really stupid question, but can someone tell me when something becomes "vintage"?

I've quite a bit of stuff lately selling for inflated prices it seems because it's labelled as vintage, but to me just looks second hand and not particularly old.

Any hard and fast rules?
    Wid

For me vintage would probably be 70's to maybe the 30's. But as you say it seems to be a trend now that by putting vintage infront of something second hand it adds value. The word vintage is going to go the same way as Retro (ugg) another thing I have noticed recently especially on ebay is the over use of the word gentlemans as in "Edwardian Gentlemans dressing table" or "Gentlemans chest of drawers" seems to add another £50 to £100 to the value lol.

Drew
    Our Website & Blog (work in Progress)
    our Facebook page
    follow me on Twitter @handywoodcrafts

Comment

Vintage to me is at least30 years old so 80's back to 1920, prior to that considered Edwardian 1901 -1910, Victorian 1837 - 1901 and then Georgian 1740 - 1840. An antique is generally over 100 years old but I suppose at the end of the day depends what people are prepared to pay for any item and what they perceive when they look at something. It is all confusing as I make gifts in the Vintage style but most of the components are new with the exception of sometimes trim and buttons and have been known to buy from rag rescue. Very much beauty is in the eye of the beholder and what someone wants to pay to gain that item.

Comment

Probably anything that's before 80's

Comment

I go with stuff that's 80's and back from there (based on what Etsy will accept as Vintage). Prefer it if it's backwards from 70's though....cos if it's from the 80's then I must be vintage! eeek!
          Custom tribal belly dance costumes & accessories

Unique jewellery for those who love to turn heads

Comment

Thanks everyone. Some of the stuff I've seen just looks like recycled material and not even that old. But then again I do forget the 80's was 30 odd years ago EEK! Next time I see someone with their stuff labelled as vintage, I might ask them for their definition. There's an art gallery near where I live selling "vintage" scarves at hughely inflated prices. I'd be very surprised if they every sold anything
            Wid

Comment

Weeeel In that case, I could be worth a mint as half my wardrobe seems to be vintage. lol. This is not a joke. I do have several items I have had for ever, I must get them out and see what they are worth.
              Carol
              God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Antique = before 1920
                Vintage = from 1920 to 1980
                Retro = imitation of vintage style
                Repro = newly made but a faithful copy

Have done some research into this before, the above is what I came up with from the interwebbynet

Tarina
                http://tarinaknits.blogspot.com

Comment

stick vintage style in front of anything and it will get more sales!
                  www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk
                  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocks-For-Frocks/230802980887

Comment

So.... used kids skirts, about 10 years old, and some not quite but nearly vintage upholstery fabric and an old tie or two...

Not Very Vintage? Repro/Retro...

Oh, I'll never be able to sell more at double the first price I thought of

Thanks, Tarina. I think your list is probably sane, sensible and eminently useable when humming and ha'ing about prices to pay or be paid!
                    Do not watch this space

Comment

Originally posted by tarinab View Post
                      Antique = before 1920
                      Vintage = from 1920 to 1980
                      Retro = imitation of vintage style
                      Repro = newly made but a faithful copy

Have done some research into this before, the above is what I came up with from the interwebbynet

Tarina
                      I think I might print this off as a little table and carry it round with me and "quizz" people who label their stuff as vintage!
                      Wid

Comment

I love vintage and find it really annoying when you run a search on eBay for vintage clothes and get results from Primark... Primark? Vintage? Really? I would go with what all the others are saying, 1980s and back. Anything else really isn't.
                        Princess Prudence
                        Keep Calm and Carry on!
                        I just love to sew and make things!

Read all about my life and times at my blog: http://princessprudencediaries.blogspot.com

Find me on twitter: @princesspru10

Comment

I'm definately vintage then!
                          full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Originally posted by beadsbydesign View Post
                            I'm definately vintage then!
                            Unfortunately me too!
                            Wid

Comment

Originally posted by Wid View Post
                              Unfortunately me too!
                              Both of you beat me to it I was thinking that just reading through..
                              Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

Working...
                              X