What printer to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What printer to buy

I bought a printer a year ago from a high street store. Half price £49.99. I have been really disappointed with the performance. It is an epson stylus sx100. You print 2 pages with a new cartridge installed and it says that you have 25% ink left. WHAT.

Due to the cartridges being chipped you can't refill them. ???

So What is a decent printer that prints out only black ink.

I am looking for a printer that you can refill the cartridges from a shop.

Thanks

We have just obtained a Kodak and the ink goes for miles and miles. I am very pleased with it.
    Carol
    God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

I have an epson sx425w and am very impressed with how far the ink goes - sounds like mine could be a newer model and perhaps they've sorted out the ink consumption. Compared to the HP I used to have the cartridges last at least twice as long...if not longer.

My DH always warned me against buying the refill cartridges and I thought he was just being precious but with my old HP I ran out at a crucial time and had no choice but to buy a compatible cartridge (it was all the local shop sold) and my printer never ever worked as well afterwards. Too much of a coincidence so I stick to the real cartridges now.
      Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

I have an Epson and the ink lasts ages (and I print a lot!). Check that you are not printing at the highest setting as this will consume a lot of ink - go down one setting and the quality won't be much affected.

Don't forget that the cartridges that come with a new printer are much smaller in capacity to the normal ones - they are only really there to get you started. Have a look at your settings and try a small print at all the different quality settings to see what you can get away with. If I am printing lists just for me, I print in draft so it uses very little ink. I do love Epson printers and have found that they are the most reliable ones I have had - they last for years even with very heavy usage.
        Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
        Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
        Follow me on Twitter:
        @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

The ink was purchased after I bought the printer.

I printed of another sheet of paper. A quarter of an A4 page in black. No colours. One paragraph.

It then came up saying that my Black ink was low and needs to be replaced.

No way. That is less than 3 A4 pages with a new cartridge. That is the second time this has happened.

I bought the epson because of good reviews. I am shocked by the poor quality of this machine. Maybe it is just this epson make.

Comment

Sounds like an error on the printer to me - have you contacted Epson directly to see if this is a known issue - they might have a driver download to address the problem. If it is a year old, it may still be under warranty.

Are you using genuine Epson cartridges - other 'compatible' ones can't be read properly by the printer (so I was told by an IT chappy) so may be telling the printer it is out of ink when it really isn't.

You certainly shouldn't go through ink like that - I print a lot of stuff from full (65 page A4) catalogues to stock lists, signs, delivery notes, order sheets, packaging info, etc and (obviously depending upon print quality size of image, etc) I can usually get through about 1 ream of paper before the black needs changing. I tend to go through the cyan quicker as my logo and theme is blue so I can often go through two of those in the same time.

It is possible that this particular model has issues - mine is a 4-in-1 printer/scanner/fax Epson Stylus DX9400F Series which uses 4 individual cartridges (black, cyan, magenta, yellow) I would contact Epson directly to find out why this is happening and see if they can fix it.
            Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
            Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
            Follow me on Twitter:
            @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

Working...
            X