County Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• County Shows

Having had a few bad shows this summer i`m thinking of exhibiting at a county show in September. Does anyone have any experience of this and are they worth the financial outlay?Thanks

We did the big 3 and 4 day ones and they were probably the most profitable types of show we did and also can be very expensive depending which area you are in. I would say that you need to be very experienced and have built up a track record of success at smaller shows otherwise you can be writing out huge cheques and your money can drain away. The advantage of the big county, agricultural and countiside shows etc is that they attract huge attendances ie the Royal Welsh this week will be pulling in 50,000 people a day and there is a huge number of people working and showing animals, stall holders etc on site who will spend a bit. Not all the county shows are good and you have to sound people out.
    The only one I know in September is The Bershire Show which I have heard good reports on. Also with county shows is that they have tremendous heritage and tradition which most craft shows don't have and they are held on excellent sites with tarmac roads and shower fascilities etc. To give you some idea of the cost we were paying around £150 for the electricity alone for 3 and 4 days so you have to be looking at taking around £1000 a day to cover the costs and and to make some profit.

Comment

If you check my post for Kent County Show you can see I had a bad event. This was mainly due to being outside with very bad weather. When it rained everyone headed to the large tents and spent their money there (if they had any). When the rain stopped they were not in a buying mood once outside again. I made a massive loss, but another year I might have made a profit but will never try it again.

Roger

Comment

I'm doing my first country show in August and apparently there are over 30,000 people expected. Its mainly agricultural so no idea if there will be an interest in crafts but the stall was only £25 for a 6ft table so thought I would take a chance. I'll post after the 7th as to how many people frequent the crafts tent.
        http://www.scrumptioustextiles.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumptious Textiles View Post
          the stall was only £25 for a 6ft table so thought I would take a chance.
          With a cost like that you should be successful. My stand at the Kent County Show was £420!

Roger

Comment

I'm doing my first outdoor show next month - like Scrumptious the table fee is really low and there's two to three thousand folks expected, so I'm panicking I won't have enough stock!

Which show are you thinking of? If it is the Berkshire, at Newbury, that is a good show - I help out in the pig tent (!) and always spend my free time going round the stands. It gets around 70,000 visitors so I try to go early!

Judith
            www.happysheepdesigns.com

Photographic cards, prints and gifts, and hand-knitted/crocheted accessories and clothing

www.busyted.co.uk

Home of Busy Ted! Also find him on Twitter @busytedstuff and on Facebook

Comment

I think give it a go if you can go for the rent, ours is in the region of £1500.00 so for me the answer would be no

Comment

The Kent County was one of the best shows we did and we took over £3000 a few times in 3 days and the pitch cost around £200. It is vital that you are in the right area of the show ground as the general trade is shockingly expensive and if you can get in at agricultural rates or forestry or even with Rural Crafts etc is is considerably cheaper. We did the last ever Royal Show at Stoeleigh and sadly quite a lot of other farm shows have finished. I like the Royal Show and had real class. Another One I enjoyed a lot was the Bath and West and we were given free space. Now I think you can haggle a lot at many shows especially if you can demonstrate because they have an awful lot of space to fill and they need good attractions to keep people coming back
                The worst one was the East of England. Totally forgetable show apart from seeing Showaddywaddy and there was good showers and was just the rain.

Comment

Working...
                X