Advice/Moral Support Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice/Moral Support Needed

I’m booked in to do a craft fair next weekend, but unfortunately my sister who usually does them with me is now unable to go.

I’m not a natural sales person and the thought of doing it on my own is really rather daunting!

Any advice/tips/moral support available?

Thank you!
    Wid

I usually do my market on my own and whilst it can seem daunting, just take your time and remember to chat naturally to customers and don't go for the 'hard sell' approach which isn't good for you or for the customer. If it gets really busy, just acknowledge as many people as you can and apologise for keeping people waiting. We are used to queuing in shops to be served so don't let it panic you - most people are very understanding.

You will be fine! Get chatting to your neighbouring stallholders and I am sure they will be happy to keep an eye on things whilst you nip off to the loo. Take a flask and something to eat with you and then you can have a drink and some food without having to leave your stall unattended.

Good luck with the fair and don't panic, it will be easier than you think!
    Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
    Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
    Follow me on Twitter:
    @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

I do most fairs by myself and I still get quite nervous beforehand, once you're there I'm sure you'll feel more relaxed...I've never had customers complain about having to wait if I'm busy already dealing with a customer, they can see that you're there on your own and most people attend fairs with the intention of having a good browse rather than nipping in and out quickly.

I write myself a list of what I need to take with me and anything I need to remember to do while I'm there, then try and have everything I might need within easy reach so I don't have to spend time rummaging through boxes. I'm not sure what it is you sell but I make jewellery and I quite often take a few things with me so if there's a quiet spell I can make some bits up so I don't feel like I'm sat there with nothing to do!
      Karly
      http://www.thesilvershack.co.uk
      http://twitter.com/thesilvershack1
      http://thesilvershack1.blogspot.com/
      https://www.facebook.com/TheSilverShack

Comment

I think another plus side of taking something to do, or even a book to read, is that customers feel less uncomfortable browsing when they're not being "watched".
        http://luckandcharm.blogspot.com/

Comment

I agree take some making to do but don't sit and read a book or magazine very unprofessional and comes over to the visitor that you are bored and on not want to be there. Sitting doing your craft is good as you will be amazed at the number of people who stop and watch what you are doing and ask questions.

Comment

I always do fairs on my own, so do not be worried about it. Past experience at fairs has allowed you to get used to talking to potential customers. Most people like chatting to someone with some knowledge of what they are making and selling. Taking some of your craft materials along to work with is an excellent way of attracting potential customers and a starting point of a conversation...........hopefully leading to a sale.

Having your sister as a companion is nice, but not essential. All the advice given by the other posters is good advice. Be brave and realise you can do it on your own.

Roger

Comment

Thanks everyone. I’m sure once I’m there everything will be O.K – it’s just the thought of it! I will take some bits and pieces along to do, though most of my stuff can’t be done “on site” so to speak, but even if I look busy it might help.

I think my biggest fear is having no-one interested in my stuff (although to be honest this has never happened before and fairs have always been quite successful) and sitting looking like Noddy-No Mates!
              Wid

Comment

Well I did the craft fair and to be honest it was a bit of a strange one. I didn't realise that the school I was doing it in had a 98% Asian community - I knew they had their fair share of ethnic cultures, but not to that extent. Unfortunately the stuff I was selling just didn't appeal I don't think. The only good side was that my friend who told me about the fair (she is HR Director at the school) offered to come and help me set up and then hung around for a while and that enticed a some of her work colleagues and teachers to come and buy (some feeling obliged I'm sure, but hey ho, a sale is a sale!).

I wouldn't have a stall there again, but it's all experience. The table was only £5 for a 3 hour fair and I cleared £80, so I shouldn't moan I suppose.
                Wid

Comment

Well done you did your 10 times the rent bit

Comment

Originally posted by Caroleecrafts View Post
                    Well done you did your 10 times the rent bit
                    That's actually a good way of looking at it!
                    Wid

Comment

£80 in three hours is £26.66 per hour - which isn't too shabby really and on a £5 stall even more so...

Well done on going ahead with your stall after being so fearful - I am sure you learned loads from being there on your own and now you know that you can do it! Congratulations.
                      Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
                      Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
                      Follow me on Twitter:
                      @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

Originally posted by AliCat View Post
                        £80 in three hours is £26.66 per hour - which isn't too shabby really and on a £5 stall even more so...

Well done on going ahead with your stall after being so fearful - I am sure you learned loads from being there on your own and now you know that you can do it! Congratulations.

Thanks for the support and encouragement.
                        Wid

Comment

Working...
                        X