New sewing machine for nothing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New sewing machine for nothing!

Very excited and had to share this. Put an ask on my local Freecycle for an old style sewing machine. I have a fairly new lightweight one that does fancy stitches which I never use, no good for sewing heavy fabrics etc and pretty rubbish imho. I did have my Mum's old machine which gave up a few years ago after 50+ years of work. Anyway, missed this type of machine and asked for one last night on freecycle and got a reply from someone and just been to get it. An early 1960's New Home (Janome) machine, works perfectly, needs a good clean though. Now what can I make?
    Last edited by Sue Chambers; 06-06-2011, 07:33 PM.

There is only one word to describe you at this moment.

"JAMMY"

How wonderful for you, even if it didn't work it would be worth every penny getting it put right.
    Carol
    God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

My favourite shop Freecycle. Got a bike, some old chairs, a greenhouse and lots of wood from there.

Pete
      "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
      Facebook

Website

Comment

How great for you, i never think of looking for anything on freecycle though i did register on there once.
        Looking forward to seeing your first make!
        Lisa x
        http://www.dreamstardiary.blogspot.com
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/cottonsanddreams/
        New Blog http://stylesofcooking.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Still can't believe it Giving it a good clean today!!! Love Freecycle given lots away and got loads in return, it's fab! My next task, a dressmakers dummy, ummmm, what are my chances?

Comment

I've heard about Freecycle but thought it was one of those things that doesn't quite live up to expectations. I may be wrong though. I may register and check things out.

Comment

Originally posted by memory_laines View Post
              I've heard about Freecycle but thought it was one of those things that doesn't quite live up to expectations. I may be wrong though. I may register and check things out.
              It's well worth a look, you do get some rubbish on there (I'm a big recycler!) but some people just want rid because they can't be bothered to dispose of it. Some people won't turn up for an item but most do. I have given away allsorts and got some great things in return. Apart from the sewing machine got lots of craft items. Picked up a large bag of super fabric recently and at the bottom was a huge box of buttons I love buttons new ones with the original packaging and priced in old money. I've seen these sorts of things sold at vintage fayres for a few pounds. Not that I'm doing that, they are safely tucked in my button box for my own use

Just to add, Preloved is a good site as well! £5 for a year's membership or can join for free but you don't see recent listings until after a few days. Picked up a few bargains there as well and they also have a free section.
              Last edited by Sue Chambers; 07-06-2011, 12:38 PM.

Comment

ooh I want a sewing machine - Ive just been on there but there are none going in my area - might put a wanted ad on - just seen some carpet tiles though for my new studio (shed LOL!)

Comment

Originally posted by Rae View Post
                  ooh I want a sewing machine - Ive just been on there but there are none going in my area - might put a wanted ad on - just seen some carpet tiles though for my new studio (shed LOL!)
                  That's what I did. Try Gumtree and narrow the search to 'freebies' you might be lucky there

Comment

Working...
                  X