Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resin paperweights

Hi,

I have just found this site and is my first post so a newbie on here.

I'm not sure if anbody has any experience with resin paperweight casting, if so, when the resin has cured, i seem to be getting a ripple effect on the base. I can of course sand this down with fine sandpaper but i cannot seem to get the weight back to it's original clear state, always looks dull when sanded. I have also used t-cut to polish it after sanding with 240 grit sandpaper.

I use polyester resin to cast half dome weights and an organic peroxide catalyst to cure the mold.

Any ideas on this and how I can sand/polish to the required finish.

Thanks

Paul

Originally posted by Paul Chambers View Post
    Hi,

I have just found this site and is my first post so a newbie on here.

I'm not sure if anbody has any experience with resin paperweight casting, if so, when the resin has cured, i seem to be getting a ripple effect on the base. I can of course sand this down with fine sandpaper but i cannot seem to get the weight back to it's original clear state, always looks dull when sanded. I have also used t-cut to polish it after sanding with 240 grit sandpaper.

I use polyester resin to cast half dome weights and an organic peroxide catalyst to cure the mold.

Any ideas on this and how I can sand/polish to the required finish.

Thanks

Paul
    Hi Paul

Other than the 240 grit you don't say what "fine sandpaper" you are using however if it is just standard DIY wet and dry I think that the finest is about 600 grit which is not fine enough for this purpose and will leave it matt. Google polishing paper - this normally ranges from about 3600 grit to 12,000 grit and works well on resin. Ideally I'd give it at least a week before attempting to sand to make sure it is fully cured and not too soft. Also, although you don't say whether you are or not, either wear a mask or make sure you are using it wet when sanding, as you really don't want that resin dust getting into your lungs

Comment

Hi, thanks for the reply, Yes it is 240 grit paper I am using, I am leaving the peices to cure for about 24-48 hrs before i sand them.

I'm just wondering wether the cure time, if it was longer, would help the ripple effect I am getting on the base or does that not matter?

Comment

Hi, thanks for the reply, Yes it is 240 grit paper I am using, I am leaving the peices to cure for about 24-48 hrs before i sand them.

I'm just wondering wether the cure time, if it was longer, would help the ripple effect I am getting on the base or does that not matter?
        TBH not sure why you're getting a ripple - is the bottom of the paperweight the actual bottom, ie the bit that is in contact with the mould, or is it the top where you've poured the resin? If it's the bottom, what is the mould made from as it may be that. If it's the top then I've no idea as resin is normally self levelling

Comment

It is the base of the mold that is rippling, where the resin is poured and layered I will try to post a picture to show you what i mean, it's a very gentle ripple but it does affect the whole thing.

100_1067.jpg100_1066.jpg
          100_1065.jpg
          Last edited by Paul Chambers; 30-05-2011, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Pretend you didn't see the fingeprint lol

Comment

hmmm...I assume the bottom of the mould itself is perfectly ripple free? Maybe it's the mould material causing a reaction - is it flexible silicon or hard plastic? Also it could just be the resin contracting as it cures as you do get shrinkage with resins. You might just have to get used to sanding I'm afraid.

Shpangle might be along with some help

Comment

The thing is, I have another that I have made which I will post a piccy of later, the base of that is ripple free, just wondering wether it has to do with the catalyst and the amount used and the time to cure. From start to finish (until it's ready to pop out the mold) is about 3 hours. If I slow the cure time, it might help?

Maybe too much catalyst causing it to heat up quite a bit and cause the ripple effect? the recommended dose is 2% catalyst

Comment

The thing is, I have another that I have made which I will post a piccy of later, the base of that is ripple free, just wondering wether it has to do with the catalyst and the amount used and the time to cure. From start to finish (until it's ready to pop out the mold) is about 3 hours. If I slow the cure time, it might help?

Maybe too much catalyst causing it to heat up quite a bit and cause the ripple effect? the recommended dose is 2% catalyst
                  I guess its just a matter of experimenting - how much % are you using? I do know that they advise against adding extra catalyst to try and speed things up, also that your measuring needs to be v. accurate. Are you using digital scales? If you have sufficient leeway I would try reducing the catalyst, but be careful of using too little or it will never fully cure hard

Comment

I have just started another using less catalyst, will see how that turns out! Here's the pic of the other one I made with hardly any ripples on the base

Comment

I have tried making resin paper weights using a silicon mold, but the resin piece is irregular and wavy when I remove the mold.What causes this? I tried drying my flowers in silica jell for 1 week, but when I place them in the resin, the colors fade. What can I do to prevent this from happening? What kind of finish can be put after the sanding to give it a glossy appearance? Would varnish work or would it yellow?

Comment

A man who made beautiful dried flowers in stained glass window hangings told me the flowers have to be painted to have bright enough color. That was disappointing! Maybe you can buy them dried and painted but them you feel like you haven't done much...at least that was me, and I was just trying to make pretty potpourri!

By the way, this thread is one year old. Still, maybe someone will come along with something brilliant to do so everything turns out perfectly! =)

Comment

Working...
                        X