Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reynalda233
    replied
    Curtain are the beauty of home you ca make your home beauty by creating beautiful home. Thanks for share this nice information.

Leave a comment:

• ShawnS
    replied
    If you not confidence to make it by your own then it is your time to ask help on a curtains retailer.
    Last edited by ShawnS; 04-04-2014, 08:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Wid
    replied
    Originally posted by sharon View Post
    If they have heading tape on the top then always shorten them from the top!

1) Unpick the heading tape - you can just unpick a few stitches from one end & pull the tape sharply & it will come away from the fabric quite easily, just keep pulling sharply till you get to the other end & snip the last few stitches)

2) Iron or smooth the fabric/lining. Pin the lining & fabric together at the top so they don't move about

3) If want them to be 58" from the top edge to the bottom edge, then measure up from the bottom for 59" (58" + 1" turning) & mark a line across the top of the curtain at this point.

3) Cut across the line through both the fabric & lining.

4) Turn over 1" at the the top & press flat

5) Either reuse the original heading tape or use new tape. Lay the tape onto the top of the curtain approx 1cm from the top edge (on the lining side!) & pin in place, turn under the tape at either side.

6) Sew in place - making sure you don't stitch through the cords!

Good luck!
    Great help thanks!

Leave a comment:

• homemade
    replied
    thanks sharon i too have curtains to shorten and have never thought over the years of doing it from the top
    what a lot easier this is,great idea

Leave a comment:

• sharon
    replied
    If they have heading tape on the top then always shorten them from the top!

1) Unpick the heading tape - you can just unpick a few stitches from one end & pull the tape sharply & it will come away from the fabric quite easily, just keep pulling sharply till you get to the other end & snip the last few stitches)

2) Iron or smooth the fabric/lining. Pin the lining & fabric together at the top so they don't move about

3) If want them to be 58" from the top edge to the bottom edge, then measure up from the bottom for 59" (58" + 1" turning) & mark a line across the top of the curtain at this point.

3) Cut across the line through both the fabric & lining.

4) Turn over 1" at the the top & press flat

5) Either reuse the original heading tape or use new tape. Lay the tape onto the top of the curtain approx 1cm from the top edge (on the lining side!) & pin in place, turn under the tape at either side.

6) Sew in place - making sure you don't stitch through the cords!

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Wid
    replied
    Thanks for advice. They are lined so I'm wondering if would be easier to cut the tops off and stitch some new heading tape on?

Leave a comment:

• Mia Craftyfox
    replied
    Hang them and cut the bottom off? ...Ok sorry I'm gone
    That's what I do Pete LOL!

If they are plain unlined curtains then you can hang them where you want them to go. Mark the length you want them to be with a pin. Lay them on a table and measure the length from the pin to the hem.
    Take off 2" from your measurement to allow for your new hem.
    If you know you definitely want them to be 14" shorter then you will need to cut off 12" along the bottom.
    The easiest way to do this is to make a few marks 12" from the old hem then using a straight edge join them together using tailors chalk.
    Cut off the excess. Make new marks 1/2" from the bottom and 2" from the bottom of the curtain.
    Put the curtain face down on your ironing board and iron along the 1/2" marks, then along the 2" marks to create your new hem.
    Pin in place then sew the hem using a straight stitch on the sewing machine.

I'm sure that others will have other ways of doing this, my mum always shortens curtains from the top instead of the bottom.

Hope that helps
    Maria

Leave a comment:

• bodrighy
    replied
    Hang them and cut the bottom off? ...Ok sorry I'm gone

Pete

Leave a comment:

• Wid
    started a topic Shortening curtains

Shortening curtains

I'm just about to order some new curtains. It's a lot cheaper to buy ready made rather than made to measure and I'm not confident to make them myself because of the size I need.

However I will need to shorten them by about 14 inches (they come in 54 inch drop or 72 and I need 58).

Any tips please?
Working...
X