Now i can get back to tying knots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now i can get back to tying knots

When I was at sea I used to do a lot of fancy knotwork and the Bible was Ashleys Book of Knots. Someone gave me a copy some years ago and then I lent it to someone and couldn't remember who. Fortunately they returned it today as I thought that was going to lose it with moving away. Now I can get back to doing some fancy ropework again. Maybe incorporate some of it into my turning.

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
    Facebook

Website

Some of those are lovely Pete. With so many different types of 'threads' rope, string, leather, silks, wools even metals, etc you could get some lovely effects........................Mo thinks hmmmmm Jewellery ? few beads, lampwork, stones...................LOL

Mo.XX
    Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
    Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
    www.bodrighy.co.uk
    https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

I am always open to collaboration Mo and would be happy to have a play with you and see what we can achieve. As I will be a lot closer to you it is something that perhaps we could discuss later?

Pete
      "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
      Facebook

Website

Comment

Cough, cough. The children are watching.
        Carol
        God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Critchley View Post
          Cough, cough. The children are watching.

Carol!!!!!!!!!!!! I was talking about knot work etc what on earth are you thinking about LOL.

Pete
          Facebook

Website

Comment

Originally posted by bodrighy View Post
            I am always open to collaboration Mo and would be happy to have a play with you and see what we can achieve. As I will be a lot closer to you it is something that perhaps we could discuss later?

Pete
            It's OK Carol it's after the watershed and the littlees should be in bed by now and fast asleep LOL

I'm sure we can come up with something Pete that would be to our mutual benifit ( Stop now Mo or this thread is gonna be moderated LOL ) incorporating knotwork and beads to make jewellery of course.

Mo.XX
            Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
            Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
            www.bodrighy.co.uk

Comment

I am sure that together we can find some use for a monkeys fist or Turks head. The Portuguese sennit would look good incorporating beads I should think. Quick and easy to do as well.

Pete
              Facebook

Website

Comment

Will take your word for it Pete. Been told plenty of times to get knotted, but never actually done any knotwork myself.

Isn't the Turks Head the one they use to close a frog tie on a jacket or shirt ?

Mo.XX
                Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
                www.bodrighy.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by MornieG Jewellery View Post
                  Will take your word for it Pete. Been told plenty of times to get knotted, but never actually done any knotwork myself.

Isn't the Turks Head the one they use to close a frog tie on a jacket or shirt ?

Mo.XX
                  Could be, it makes a ring of varying strands from 3 - 12. It can also be flattened out to make a mat that is like a Celtic knot.

Pete
                  Facebook

Website

Comment

Beaten too it darn it

Lapis Lazuli and 22 ct Gold !!!

or cheapskate wedding ring, better in the 22 ct gold LOL

Mo.XX
                    Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
                    www.bodrighy.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by MornieG Jewellery View Post
                      Beaten too it darn it

Lapis Lazuli and 22 ct Gold !!!

or cheapskate wedding ring, better in the 22 ct gold LOL

Mo.XX

I have done a bit in wire before but it is much harder as you have to be careful not to kink it. I imagine a Celtic style wedding ring done as a Turks head with gold wire would look good.

I can't see too clearly. I presume that the beads on the necklace are knotwork? To keep costs down they could be done in a yarn or cordage and coloured, sprayed or something. We used to paint knots at sea for protection where they were used on deck.

Pete
                      Facebook

Website

Comment

I have made Turks Heads. Years ago in the Scouting Movement we all had to make our own woggles so a Turks Head it was. The knowledge became useful in later years when I became a Cub Leader (Dib dib dib and all that) I could teach the little ones to make theirs.
                        Carol
                        God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Critchley View Post
                          I have made Turks Heads. Years ago in the Scouting Movement we all had to make our own woggles so a Turks Head it was. The knowledge became useful in later years when I became a Cub Leader (Dib dib dib and all that) I could teach the little ones to make theirs.
                          Now you are really going back in the time line Carol.....at least for me. It's where I first came across fancy knots myself then I got into it at sea watching some of the seamen doing them. It is the one fancy knot that is probably most known. Did you make the woggles with leather bootlaces or using yarn?

Pete
                          Facebook

Website

Comment

For those who perhaps think that using knots to make jewellery begins and ends with friendship bracelets have a look at this site. I can't say I like all the stuff but it gives you a good idea of the variety of things that can be made with a bit of ingenuity

Pete
                            Facebook

Website

Comment

Originally posted by bodrighy View Post
                              I have done a bit in wire before but it is much harder as you have to be careful not to kink it. I imagine a Celtic style wedding ring done as a Turks head with gold wire would look good.

Pete
                              Now a turned Ebony Ring with a rebate around the middle and a gold or silver celtic knot band inlaid onto it.

OMG this thread has taken on a sensible chain of posts. See we can behave Carol sometimes LOL

Mo.XX
                              Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
                              www.bodrighy.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X